Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > New Average Speed Cameras
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

That road is also heavily patrolled by unmarked Police video bikes, and a variety of them at that, including BMW and Suzuki superbikes *so you can rest assured that any " Crazy" bikers will be getting specific attention if their riding falls below an acceptable standard. Also consider that the van in the lay-by can use the speed trap both facing towards you and going away so you might be lucky the camera may not have been pointing at you, assuming of course you were not still going like the clappers when you passed him. Second bit of luck you might have will be the allowances for speedo error N Yorks Police prosecute at 10% +2 , so you would need to have averaged 68 mph on the camera van readings. If you only had 70 on the clock you were probably under that.

* The correct way to police for speed, real blokes who can see beyond the odd 3 mph, and also sort out all the bad driving that is 10x more dangerous but will never be stopped by cameras. 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Last edited by MartynB on 4th Sep 2016 6:43 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #306002 4th Sep 2016 6:34 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Also watch out for overstaying your welcome at a motorway services. A friend of mine stopped late at night at at Rownhams nr Southampton on the M27, the car park was deserted and he fell asleep for a few hours then went on his way. A few weeks later he got a £70 fine through the letterbox for overstaying the 2 hour limit. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #306003 4th Sep 2016 6:42 pm
heyho

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

Thanks for the info Martynb and I totally agree with you about what is really needed. Not some cash cow at the side of the road catching easy targets. I know the police don't have it easy what with cut backs and red tape but what really brought it home to me was a year ago. I'd just found the mother in law dead at her home (unexpected) and then 2 days later we had our garden furniture nicked. Not the crime of the century I know but the wife was already in a state. I rung the police and they couldn't give a Censored . 3 days later the local special constable came round and basically said the same. Not a problem getting someone to sit in a van at the side of the road eating his sarnies and clicking his camera though

I know there is no-one to blame but myself but the amount of bad and more worryingly dangerous driving you see around you is breath taking but the majority of that goes undetected

Post #306006 4th Sep 2016 7:39 pm
MartynB

Like you HeyHo I don't enjoy driving anymore it's a necessary evil to me now. Best thing on the new car is the amazing " Eyesight " safety system. On long motorway journeys I just set the adaptive cruise at the limit for the section I'm on and bingo off we go keeps the distance I want, auto braking, lane departure warning.

The bit that irks me is that on a 17 mile drive from home to Bolton Abbey which I do once a week I pass 10 fixed cameras. One of them is the new digital 3G thing that never needs film, it can just send images straight to the processing office. You can be sure it's not been put there for enhanced safety.. 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

Post #306008 4th Sep 2016 8:17 pm
RealBeale

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Sumatra Black

In response to my earlier reply. After just reading it again it gives out the wrong impression. What I mean by "gun it off the main lights" is I don't like to hang about dawdling.I like to be up to the required speed ASAP.
What I didn't mean was "driving like I had a boot full of Class A and was being pursued by Scotland Yards finest".

Post #306018 5th Sep 2016 12:46 am
heyho

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

Oh well it arrived yesterday. Hat's off to the efficiency of North Yorkshire police as my speeding letter popped through the letterbox a mere 3 days after the offence ££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££

Pity their compatriots in West Yorkshire weren't as quick to come round when we had a theft at home. I'm still waiting 18 months later.

73 in a 60 means I'm doing a speed awareness course. I suppose seeing at is only the 2nd I have had in 31 years of driving isn't too bad. (or lucky).

And as I say at the end of the there is only one person to blame - myself.

BUT - I do feel very aggrieved as I got caught in an overtaking manoeuvre in a totally safe circumstance i.e weather conditions, straight stretch of road, no oncoming cars

I may well buy myself a camera and mount it rear facing to capture all the BMW and Audi drivers that tailgate me as I turn over a new leaf and stick to 60 in a 60.

Post #306280 8th Sep 2016 8:38 am
blacktiger

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

dorsetfreelander wrote:
Also watch out for overstaying your welcome at a motorway services. A friend of mine stopped late at night at at Rownhams nr Southampton on the M27, the car park was deserted and he fell asleep for a few hours then went on his way. A few weeks later he got a £70 fine through the letterbox for overstaying the 2 hour limit.

Your friend should fight the fine. As I understand it, they can't fine you if you're fatigued. He should argue that it would have endangered his life if he had carried on driving. MY13 Santorini Black SD4 HSE

Post #321508 16th Apr 2017 3:25 pm
blacktiger

Average cameras in Brighton (I don't know where exactly) and coming to Hastings sea front in May.

IMO it's just another excuse for raising revenue. As you're unlikely to be able to exceed the 30 average along Hastings sea front in peak times, it'll be the unwary at night that get caught. Censored MY13 Santorini Black SD4 HSE

Last edited by blacktiger on 18th Apr 2017 9:07 am. Edited 2 times in total

Post #321509 16th Apr 2017 3:28 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Before my son went off to Africa to work he used to take his Porsche 911 Carerra S out at weekends and always stuck religiously to the speedlimits. He would often have a BMW or boy racer tailgating him in a 30mph zone and then absolutely leave them standing as soon as he hit the derestriction sign. One of the problems with a car like that is that everyone wants to try and burn you up which gets rather tiresome after a while. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #321515 16th Apr 2017 4:59 pm
blacktiger

You don't need a flash, fast car for that to happen. Out last evening I caught a numpty mobile chicane doing 40~45 in a National limit and managed to get past them but in the next two towns they caught me up because I slowed to "respect" the speed limit but they continued to do 40~45!! Twisted Evil MY13 Santorini Black SD4 HSE

Post #321522 16th Apr 2017 6:16 pm
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

its all a law of averages now even more so than ever before

It used to be that the more you were out on the roads, the higher the risk of you having an accident (speeding or not)

Its now a higher probability that you will be involved in an accident (speeding or not) and may also be caught by a zero tolerance camera.

The councils etc got a battering from putting up Gatso cameras in places that didn't need it in order to rake in the fines. Now new tech and cameras have been developed and they have sneakily lowered speed limits in order to trap drivers in order to regain that revenue from fines.

Don't get me wrong, speeding is illegal (im no angel in this) and sometimes dangerous, but once again drivers are the easy cash cow.

Its already been mentioned about the safety and legality of cars not being picked up, in spite of ANPR and various databases.

I know (through my son) of several guys locally who drive Eastern European cars that are wrecks, who are not registered or insured or safe to drive over here, but because they leave the country in the car every 6 months and return 2 weeks later so restarting their 'visitor' status, they are not required to register. Proper policing would/should put an end to this, not gunning for every legitimate driver out there.

Evil or Very Mad

rant over and just my own personal opinion of course Very Happy

Post #321632 18th Apr 2017 8:40 am
MartynB

The motorways around Leeds are now " Smart". They have variable limits. Stevie Wonder could see the warning signs that camera enforcement is in action. This is a mixture of average speed and good old fashioned , flash flash - Gotya Laughing . Driving down to Sheffield yesterday made me realise that some folks don't have the brains to own a car.
Q : When you have entered such a zone with giant signs and repeater signs on the gantries would you :

A) set the cruise control and relax ( you would in the Suby because it's adaptive Rolling with laughter )
B) back off and join the light traffic in lanes one and two who are bimbling along at 65 ?
C) blast down the outside lane in your people carrier at 90 laughing at the dawdling plebs, and telling the kids if it wasn't for them you'd be in the Beemer M car your manhood deserves safe in your belief that the cameras probably aren't switched on ?..... FLASH FLASH,

Bet he did it on the way back too ! 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

Post #321643 18th Apr 2017 9:46 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

RogB wrote:
..... and may also be caught by a zero tolerance camera.

We have to drive around 100% of the time looking at the speedo only! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #321644 18th Apr 2017 9:46 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

^^^^^^^
Exactly !! you now spend more time looking at the speedo than looking at the surroundings. I ALWAYS look in my rear view mirrors after I pass a camera to see if its flashed even when im well under the limit.... I just don't trust them !

I was caught 2 years ago, on the M1 motorway. Traffic was flowing at around 70mph for once, then I watched the overhead gantry change to 60mph as I went under it, checked my mirrors and saw the flash. I was clocked at 72mph in a 60mph !!

Couple all that with a serious decline in the standard of peoples driving and its now more dangerous than ever out there.

As for smart motorways, yes I do set the cruise going through them. I would prefer a speed limiter as its easier to control the slow down and speed up than with cruise (where you have to switch it off to decelerate)

Post #321646 18th Apr 2017 9:54 am
scrimple

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Ipanema Sand

I really do not understand the drive for speed cameras.

These days most vehicles have computerised engine management systems, so why not just send a signal to each car as it passes the sign, restricting the car to whatever the limit is, presto, problem solved, no cameras, no photos, no waste of police time......

Oh I forgot, the police get their kicks chasing speeders, now I understand.........  MY2014 SD4 XS
Ipanema Sand

MY10 TD4-e GS Manual
Lago Grey Now retired after 8 trouble free years

Post #321655 18th Apr 2017 11:15 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>