« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > New Average Speed Cameras
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
turboextreme

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Loire Blue
New Average Speed Cameras

Anyone else notice there seams to be a new thing with councils improving road layouts and then adding these Average speed cameras.
Plymouth city council have recently change the 40 mph limit on Billacombe Road A379 to 30 mph and installed average speed cameras they also have lots more planned else where.

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/average-sp...story.html

Post #305769 31st Aug 2016 7:11 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the warning! Thumbs Up

If only catching drunk, drugged, uninsured, unlicenced and aggressive drivers were as simple and profitable Sad

Post #305773 31st Aug 2016 7:52 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

They are installing them in Brum too:

http://www.west-midlands.police.uk/latest-news/news.aspx?Id=4635

"Birmingham routes
A38 Bristol Road between Priory Road and Speedwell Road – 30mph
A456 Hagley Road between Portland Road and Lordswood Road – 30mph
A4540 New John Street between Lucas Circus and Hospital Street – 30mph
A34 Newtown Row Northbound between New John Street West and Newbury Road – 30mph
A45 Coventry Road between Berkley Road and Rowland Road/Steyning Road – 40mph
Solihull routes
B425 Lode Lane (between Henley Crescent and Moat Lane) – 30mph
B4114 Bradford Road / Chester road (in the vicinity of the junction) – 30mph
A3400 Stratford Road, Hockley Heath – 30mph

The proposed routes chosen have been based on the following criteria:
- There is a history of collisions and casualties at the camera site zone.
- Speed surveys indicate that speeding vehicles is an issue.
- There is no realistic and appropriate engineering solution that can be installed at the location to reduce collisions and vehicles exceeding the speed limit." Jules

Post #305774 31st Aug 2016 7:58 pm
Dartman the one

England 

In heavy traffic situations you can almost ignore them, you slow down quicker than you accelerate so your average will nearly always be below the average limit even exceeding it by 20mph for short periods. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #305785 31st Aug 2016 10:36 pm
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Nottingham is full of 'em Evil or Very Mad

Bob 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #305786 31st Aug 2016 10:42 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

Thanks again. I drove down that road today and just remembered in time!

One of the most utterly unreasonable speed reductions in years Evil or Very Mad

Post #305924 3rd Sep 2016 7:30 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Bad news for motorcyclists is that all the new ones are rear facing. Sad Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #305925 3rd Sep 2016 7:52 pm
PR

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Brother in law is turning dummy ones out through his engineering company in the uk. Having a job keeping up with demand from UK councils. They look identical to the pukka ones, and he has no idea where they are being installed! Gives him a good income though! 1998 300TDi Auto Disco, never to be forgotten.
2008 Auto TD4 Freelander2, now gone?
2013 Auto SD4 Freelander!
A proud member of Landytown.com
Visit our blog at
http://paullizlifeontheopenroad.blogspot.com/ updated October 2017

Post #305937 3rd Sep 2016 9:36 pm
muddywheels

England 

Now got them between Beverley/Hull/York too - the village I live in doesn't though - just flashing 30 signs - the cars keep them on permanently and nobody takes any notice Rolling Eyes

I don't understand why they never put cameras nr schools and in villages where speed is actually dangerous and annoying - guess not enough revenue Confused Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #305939 3rd Sep 2016 10:35 pm
RealBeale

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Sumatra Black

[quote="jules"]They are installing them in Brum too:

http://www.west-midlands.police.uk/latest-news/news.aspx?Id=4635

"Birmingham routes

A34 Newtown Row Northbound between New John Street West and Newbury Road – 30mph

My route home every morning from night shift. Nearly spat my coffee out reading this at work Wednesday night/Thursday morning as I like to get home ASAP and tend to gun it off of the main lights up until Newtown baths. Wondered how many times I might have been caught in the last couple of weeks, until I finished work and drove the section and realised it's almost impossible to maintain any sort of speed there due to another set of lights and a pedestrian crossing, one or both of which will be on red,plus the next set of lights means it's usually backed up a little anyway so you're already slowing by this point.

Post #305946 4th Sep 2016 1:40 am
Steve D

United Kingdom 

I think those speed warnings that show you your actual speed followed by a green smiley face or a red sad face, actually encourages some elements to go for a high speed thus completely defeating the purpose of them! Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #305949 4th Sep 2016 6:40 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Some of us though prefer not to speed around built up areas, so a polite (even slightly humorous) warning that our speed might be creeping up is appreciated. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #305956 4th Sep 2016 8:19 am
muddywheels

England 

I wish more were like you Andy Thumbs Up

The village I live in is between Bridlington and M62 and the 30 signs never stop flashing and I rarely see a brake light as cars see the signs - very frustrating especially when I'm trying to cross the road - we have a zebra crossing and I've had a few near misses with the dog on that too Evil or Very Mad Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #305961 4th Sep 2016 9:48 am
taztastic

England 

I stick to limits in towns, I even circumnavigate mini roundabouts, just for the fun of watching some idiot try and undertake as they ignore the white blob and cut across.
Country roads I tend to waft along briskly, within reason of course.

I believe the local council have had a policy over recent years whereby, roads that have had a fatal RTC, they have lowered the limit by 10mph, this led to one road, the A666, near home, to come down from 60mph, to 30, over a few years. The last crash involved a BMW travelling at around 120mph clipping the end of the Armco barrier and flying about 100 yards before hitting the barrier further down the road. Someone in this frame of mind isn't going to bother about whatever speed is imposed.
The 30 limit became a joke, the road is wide enough for six lanes, cars would simply ignore the people doing 30 and create another lane doing 40-45, the council have upped the speed to 40 and decorum has been restored.

Average speed cameras? Thin end of the wedge, it won't be long before technology is built into cars to tax the owner on its use, using gps technology, this will also allow automatic fines to be produced for speeding, parking etc

Post #305963 4th Sep 2016 10:07 am
heyho

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

I'm finding driving not enjoyable any more to be honest.

I respect the speed limits in built up areas as it is dangerous to speed in residential and other built up areas. So to me that is where things like average speed cameras and mobile cameras should be based. But of course not because there is not the revenue earning capacity as traffic volumes are lower.

I am 100% certain I have got a speeding ticket today. I'd been on the A169 between Whitby and Pickering. 60mph. Was behind a big audi and his speed was up and down 40,50,60. Get to the big hill, Saltergate, and he nearly stalled the car doing less than 5mph. get to the top of the hill and there is a long straight stretch. He's doing around 55 so I overtake. As I do his speed goes up to 60. I get up to about 70 to overtake and pull back in (road was clear) and ker ching a mobile was in the lay by.

Yes I know no excuses but what annoys me is that a bike would get away with it on a forward facing camera and that road is crazy with bikers.

That road does not have any signs for speed cameras either. Surely if the original purpose of a camera was to deter people speeding then that stretch should be littered with signs. But no, its an easy cash cow and I do not agree with it.

Post #305999 4th Sep 2016 5:54 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>