Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Key Blade Part Number?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
MrPotatoHead

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Sumatra Black
Key Blade Part Number?

I've just changed the battery in the spare key fob (easier than I thought and cost £5.50 for the battery).

When I got the car second hand, the spare fob was missing the actual key.

I know I can pick them up on eBay, but wanted to know how much a genuine one was and therefore need the part number.

Anyone know?

Cheers!

Post #304278 10th Aug 2016 10:00 pm
Notanotherhobby

United Kingdom 

Just changed the battery on my fob....looked as if it would be straightforward, but the original battery thin terminal must have been broken (and could have been responsible for the poor performance of the fob) so when removing the battery it became a mega pain in the nether regions to insert the thin terminal and resulted in damage to the copper on the circuit board. I've tried the fob, but no response from car. The fob inserts into the car socket okay, and the car will start okay, but no joy otherwise. Looks like an expensive problem to solve.
I took the opportunity to change the fob as well as the battery, and it came with a "blank" key, if this would be of use, let me know and I'll post it to you.

Post #304345 11th Aug 2016 8:33 pm
MrPotatoHead

That's very kind of you...wish I'd seen your message before I bought one on eBay!

Depending on what turns up from eBay (I.e. How well it fits my fob) I may well be in touch!

All the best.

Post #304410 12th Aug 2016 7:32 pm
EXPENCELANDER

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

The Blank Keys available on ebay work fine if cut by a competent Key Smith.
Genuine ones cut by anyone with a machine out of tune will not work.
My advice is to just get any blank and go to a Key Cutting agent who offers a guarantee to replace the Key if it can't be made to operate the Lock.
Some so called "experts" do not want to know if the Key does not work.
I was a Key Cutter, all my keys work and I only buy the cheapest I can get hold of.
Even genuine ones are made in China just look at the sticker under the Blade on the Key Fob. Offset your Carbon emissions by boycotting Baked Beans and all Green Vegitables.

Post #304470 13th Aug 2016 7:01 pm
MrPotatoHead

Many thanks indeed.

This may be a stupid question, but if you lived in Seaham, County Durham (like me!) where would you go to ensure a competent cutter cut my key?!

Post #304481 13th Aug 2016 8:49 pm
EXPENCELANDER

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
KEY CUTTING

The answer to your question and would relate to anyone anywhere, is this!!!!!!!...........Ask questions,
1, When was the last time you checked the machine for accuracy, I checked mine first thing each morning and again if I had a Key returned.
2. Do you guarantee the Key to work.
3. Will you provide a new Key if mine does not work.
4. What is your procedure if the Key you cut gets stuck in the Lock or causes damage to the system, will you take the problem onboard and pay for the rectification of the problem.

Last question No 4 is the most important one as a LandRover main agent caused a problem with mine and had to pay for a new ECU unit to be fitted along with 2 new Keys and programming. It was a full days job and the bill for this would have been thousands to a normal customer. They tries to shift the blame onto me but unfortunately for them I knew more about their Lock & Key system than they did. Phone calls to Germany had to be made several times to verify what I was telling them.
Landrover / BMW / Merecdes used the same system on my reg, losing your only key will hit you where it hurts, be warmed and always have 2 working charged Keys. Offset your Carbon emissions by boycotting Baked Beans and all Green Vegitables.

Post #304495 13th Aug 2016 11:12 pm
MrPotatoHead

Brilliant response...thank you.

Post #304609 15th Aug 2016 8:30 pm
Bill Turner

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Santorini Black
Re: KEY CUTTING

EXPENCELANDER wrote:
The answer to your question and would relate to anyone anywhere, is this!!!!!!!...........Ask questions,
1, When was the last time you checked the machine for accuracy, I checked mine first thing each morning and again if I had a Key returned.
2. Do you guarantee the Key to work.
3. Will you provide a new Key if mine does not work.
4. What is your procedure if the Key you cut gets stuck in the Lock or causes damage to the system, will you take the problem onboard and pay for the rectification of the problem.

Last question No 4 is the most important one as a LandRover main agent caused a problem with mine and had to pay for a new ECU unit to be fitted along with 2 new Keys and programming. It was a full days job and the bill for this would have been thousands to a normal customer. They tries to shift the blame onto me but unfortunately for them I knew more about their Lock & Key system than they did. Phone calls to Germany had to be made several times to verify what I was telling them.
Landrover / BMW / Merecdes used the same system on my reg, losing your only key will hit you where it hurts, be warned and always have 2 working charged Keys.

I use the two fobs on alternate days, the car is 4.5 years old, and am still using them as supplied by the dealer. Thumbs Up

Bill Life Honorary Member of Wallasey Motor Club.
Licenced MSA Radio Operator for 35+ years.
Rallying is the only sport.

Post #304852 19th Aug 2016 11:01 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1