Home > Australia & New Zealand > Looking at Freelander 2
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Daz7

Australia 
Looking at Freelander 2

Hello,

We're currently considering a New TD Freelander and currently tossing up specs etc...

I can see some merit for going for a HSE over the SE but can't see any value in the Tech pack at the price unless we pick up a demo that has the packs already fitted.

Question, with the standard sat nav, does either the optional bluetooth connection or ipod connection have any menus or displays that come up on the OEM sat nav screen? I'm considering adding an aftermarket sat nav and just wondering what niceties I may be losing or if the screen only displays items relating to the sat nav.

Pretty impressed with the car as a package though

Post #29970 26th Oct 2008 11:04 pm
rmbillington

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

Hi

If it is like the UK, then the sat nav is just the sat nav, and all phone and music displays come up on the stereo display, so you wouldn't lose anything other than sat-nav if you removed it.

Hope that helps.

Also, buy one, you won't be disappointed

Rich

Post #29971 26th Oct 2008 11:13 pm
Daz7

Australia 

Thanks for that.

Based on that info, if we picked up a HSE that has the Alpine based Headunit,

the bluetooth

http://lrparts.dealerfit.com/store/land-ro..._22707.php

and ipod connectivity units

http://lrparts.dealerfit.com/store/land-ro..._22709.php

should just be plug and play (I notice in the kits they provide new steering wheel controls to fit).

Not sure on local pricing but least their available.

Last edited by Daz7 on 27th Oct 2008 12:08 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #29977 27th Oct 2008 12:45 am
Blooders

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Hi ya,

I purchased the tech pack on my FL2 HSE TD4, we cannot fault the stereo and the funcinality, all functions opporate through the steering wheel controls and the radio, there are no displays shown on the sat nav screen, it all shows on the radio LCD. It works well for me.

Chrs Blooders 2008 TD4, HSE ,Stornaway, Premium pack, 19inch wheels, roof rails, tow pack, alpaca, satnav, tinted windows & Sun roof

Post #29993 27th Oct 2008 11:38 am
Daz7

Australia 

Just called a Landrover dealerships parts counter to price up these items.

The Bluetooth kit is $1150 plus fitting

Strangely I'm informed the ipod connector kit, isn't available locally even though its in the local accessory catalogue. Anyone know if this is correct?

Post #30088 29th Oct 2008 3:30 am
nosliwedaw

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

I'm pretty sure one of the guys on here has fitted the iPlod kit.

If it's not available locally grab one from OS, although it might hurt a bit with the Aussie dollar the way it is.

Post #30090 29th Oct 2008 7:46 am
djhampson

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Rimini Red

I've fitted the ipod kit to my car. I bought the kit from a guy on here in the UK who shipped it out.

Its pretty easy to install, you have to remove the centre dash and the surrond around your instrument cluster. You also have to drill a hole in the dash to mount the cradle on which is fairly easy but not something you want to stuff up.

Its definetly worth it tho, having the iPhone charging up and changing songs \ playlists from the steering wheel is fantastic! 2007 TD4 SE

Post #30102 29th Oct 2008 1:41 pm
rmbillington

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

There is a new iPod kit on ebay from one of the UK dealers, which puts the iPod in the glove box, and lets you control it from the stereo and steering wheel controls. Not sure how well that works, but I think it's cheaper to buy

Rich

Post #30111 29th Oct 2008 3:05 pm
Daz7

Australia 

rmbillington wrote:
There is a new iPod kit on ebay from one of the UK dealers, which puts the iPod in the glove box, and lets you control it from the stereo and steering wheel controls. Not sure how well that works, but I think it's cheaper to buy

Rich

This sounds like the latest version from my research. Now this will only work on the HSE version's headunit correct?

As an aside I'm pretty chuffed at Landrovers customer service contacts compared to other companies. I had a dealer tell me that the free onroad offer thats happening at present only applies to the SE version. Rang Landrover and apart from being slack and not knowing, took my name and within 10 minutes called me back with an answer - He'd actually called two dealers himself, and told me that one didn't know, and the other comfirmed the offer applies to both versions - thats a fairly open and honest exchange.

Compared to my enquiry with VW on delivery dates on Tiguan who also didn't know but said they'd call back in 24-48 hours (took 60) and then just said they have no real idea.

oh also, we've looked at a few demo HSE's that have all of the options, it we didn't like the wood trim that runs across the dash is this an relatively easy swap for another colour?

thank guys!

Post #30150 29th Oct 2008 11:27 pm
Dorko

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Mate, the new MY09 models have only two choices. The metal look or the wood trim. The new colours looks so much better than the My08 models.

Have a look at my gallery. I have the metal look with Almond leather. Very nice Very Happy

Dorko

Post #30207 31st Oct 2008 8:25 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1