Home > Technical > Consequences of driving with turbo-compressor problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Chalky9

France 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Auto Stornoway Grey
Consequences of driving with turbo-compressor problem

Please excuse my first posting!!

My FL2 '07 with about 80,000 miles on the clock is developing a noise which has tentatively been identified as a turbo-compressor fault by a LR dealer. He says the problem is not yet severe enough to trigger a fault code on his computer. It is worse when towing my caravan, but that doesn't help when I go to the dealer!

Land Rover tell me that it could take some time for the problem to be bad enough to positively identify, but that it is inadvisable to tow the caravan. As I'm about to go on holiday with the wife and dogs, this leaves me between a rock and a hard place.

Can anyone describe to me (in layman's terms!) the consequences of continuing with my holiday? Is the failure of the turbo-compressor catastrophic or am I likely to be able to limp to the nearest dealer?

Post #298594 13th May 2016 10:00 am
alex_pescaru

In my opinion 95% sure you'll be able to reach a dealer/garage.
If something happens and if it's turbo related...

Post #298611 13th May 2016 2:51 pm
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Alex above is quite correct in what he says - and he is a very experienced forum contributor.

However, when towing, the turbo is subject to greater demand as you are asking for more power from the engine than when driving 'solo'. I regard it as the ideal time for the turbo system to get a good "blow out".

Bob 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #298614 13th May 2016 3:21 pm
Chalky9

... and the consequences of that "blow out" would be....?

Post #298628 13th May 2016 6:11 pm
dunkley201

What I mean by a "blow out" is a good exercise and internal clean up. You do not need me to advise that the harder an engine and it's ancillaries work the more likely any potential fail point is reached. Your car already has a "possible" fault. Who is to say when it becomes "probable"?

The advice given by the LR dealer was the only advice they could give. Until the precise fault is identified you will continue to have an "unknown".

Turbo and turbo system failures can give symptoms varying from engine management lights illuminating through to being reduced to "limp mode" to turbo catastrophic failure. Sorry, I am not a betting man, I cannot give you the "odds".

Bob 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

Post #298630 13th May 2016 6:28 pm
Chalky9

Thanks! It has had a good "blow out" recently as we have done a couple of trips with the caravan in tow. The noise is much amplified when towing, but without the 'van it is often hardly noticeable.

Post #298631 13th May 2016 6:34 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

lets take a step back.
whats the noise ? is it just a whistle or a harsh bearing noise ?
is it just something as simple as an air leak or steering columb grommet failing allowing more noise i to the cabin.
i have never had good experience with landrover dealers. Jaguar x-type sport gone
Jaguar x-type 2.2d sport one of my best cars ever sadly gone
Freelander 2 GS auto 2008 most unreliable ever ! gladly gone
Freelander 2 GS manual 2013 only time will tell !

Post #298633 13th May 2016 6:39 pm
dunkley201

Excess noise points to a pipe/ducting/manifold leak or the turbo itself. I am surprised LR could not identify it! 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

Post #298634 13th May 2016 6:39 pm
Chalky9

oldgeezer wrote:
lets take a step back.
whats the noise ? is it just a whistle or a harsh bearing noise ?
is it just something as simple as an air leak or steering columb grommet failing allowing more noise i to the cabin.
i have never had good experience with landrover dealers.

The noise veries between a low growl and a harsh noise that I describe as dry gears. It certainly isn't a whistle.

Post #298638 13th May 2016 7:16 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

ok so could be turbo bearings. if it is then i would suggest replacing the turboif it fails debris could enter the engine causing more damage. if an oil seal in the turbo fails due to excessive shaft movement then oil will find its way in with the potential to cause more damage.
Towing will really load a turbo.

for a definitive answer if you rev the engine hard and shut engine off the engine will stop quicker than the turbo. you can then hear the turbo spooling down with the engine stopped. if you can hear a growling for a few seconds it confirms the turbo bearings. Jaguar x-type sport gone
Jaguar x-type 2.2d sport one of my best cars ever sadly gone
Freelander 2 GS auto 2008 most unreliable ever ! gladly gone
Freelander 2 GS manual 2013 only time will tell !

Post #298643 13th May 2016 7:54 pm
westville

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Fuji White

If its "noise" associated with a turbo I would suggest a VERY careful examination of the intercooler pipe and its clamps - they can be beggars to spot even when split - that would make more noise under load and be hard to hear on tickover etc. No Longer the owner of a 2013MY Fuji White GS

"Fiat Lux" a philosophy not a car

Post #298644 13th May 2016 7:56 pm
Chalky9

oldgeezer wrote:
ok so could be turbo bearings. if it is then i would suggest replacing the turboif it fails debris could enter the engine causing more damage. if an oil seal in the turbo fails due to excessive shaft movement then oil will find its way in with the potential to cause more damage.

for a definitive answer if you rev the engine hard and shut engine off the engine will stop quicker than the turbo. you can then hear the turbo spooling down with the engine stopped. if you can hear a growling for a few seconds it confirms the turbo bearings.

Thanks, I'll try that.

Post #298647 13th May 2016 8:04 pm
Badger51

Australia 

westville wrote:
If its "noise" associated with a turbo I would suggest a VERY careful examination of the intercooler pipe and its clamps - they can be beggars to spot even when split - that would make more noise under load and be hard to hear on tickover etc.

+1 on this. A split intercooler hose will give a real roar under acceleration, in my experience. The most common one to split is the top front one, attached to the throttle valve. It can be very difficult to spot any splits, as west ville has already stated.
You normally get excessive black smoke & a distinct lack of power, usually the engine management light will come on as well.
Good luck with finding your problem. (Now Sold). 2008 Freelander 2 (Nazca Sand) SE TD4 Auto. Statutory write off & on WOVR for hail damage but still road legal.
171037Km as of 09/05/22
Superchips Bluefin Flash
Nanocom Evo II (also sold)

Last edited by Badger51 on 14th May 2016 12:34 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #298672 14th May 2016 9:56 am
Chalky9

oldgeezer wrote:

for a definitive answer if you rev the engine hard and shut engine off the engine will stop quicker than the turbo. you can then hear the turbo spooling down with the engine stopped. if you can hear a growling for a few seconds it confirms the turbo bearings.

Okay, just been out and started the engine. No black smoke - a tiny puff of light grey and then nothing. Revved it to around 4,000 rpm, switched off, no growling from the turbo. Confused

Post #298678 14th May 2016 11:06 am
sid

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

re turbo noise,my wife mentioned a slight whooshing noise I could not hear it,but she knows what shes talking about,of course,pluged in my diagnostics,no warning lights by the way,came up with turbo boost pressure ,cleared codes,she still insisted ive not cured it,so I took it for a hard drive and at about 2500 it died then picked up instantly.took small turbo hose at top of engine off, found a small hole,taped it up,ordered a new one,job done.

Post #298705 14th May 2016 7:31 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>