« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > In Car Electronics > Flat Battery
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Tattenhall

United States 2011 LR2 i6 GS Auto Whistler White
Flat Battery

Two weeks ago my wife parked and locked her 2011 LR2 while she went on a business trip for five days. Upon returning the battery was flat. She had it charged and all was well until today. Today she was driving at a normal speed and suddenly the car slowed down to approximately 10 mph and then stopped. She managed to start it but it would not go faster than 10 mph. We called the dealer and they had no suggestions. We had the car towed to the dealer. Has anyone had this same problem. She only purchased the vehicle in December 2015 from a Landrover dealer and this was a surprise to say the least. Most frustrating.

Post #291000 20th Feb 2016 3:08 am
Landiroamer

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 TD4_e SE Manual Orkney Grey

When she locked it and went away did she double lock (dead lock) it with the remote by pressing the button twice, if you dont the systems dont shut right down and you can end up with a flat battery?
By allowing the battery to go completely flat could ruin it too so afterwards its never at it best again.

Post #291001 20th Feb 2016 6:57 am
alex_pescaru

Check the generator's output...

Post #291002 20th Feb 2016 8:24 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

If it is the original battery it is probably worth replacing, after 4 years you are on borrowed time. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #291005 20th Feb 2016 8:37 am
shiggsy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

The vehicle will shutdown to the same level regardless of single or double locking, it just shuts down completely quicker if its double locked, 12 minutes as opposed to 35. I have seen mentioned that hands free phones in use when locking can keep the Bluetooth system awake preventing shutdown. 
Hung like Einstein, smart as a horse.

Post #291010 20th Feb 2016 10:42 am
Landiroamer

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 TD4_e SE Manual Orkney Grey

Well thats interesting because LR made a point of telling me make sure you always double lock it if you dont want to come back to a flat battery in a week or so time?

Post #291016 20th Feb 2016 11:23 am
shiggsy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

They should read their own workshop manuals Smile

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  
Hung like Einstein, smart as a horse.

Post #291022 20th Feb 2016 11:41 am
Tattenhall

Thanks for all your suggestions. Since the problem is my fault, we have not yet discussed the subject of double locking. But I can guarantee she did not. The total shut down yesterday came after parking the car overnight. The fact that it started and drove for a short while before losing power would indicate an ECU problem? It is fairly cold here in the USA in DC, but this is a Landrover. I find it worrying that the local dealer has no idea what could have happened. It makes one wonder who trained the tech's.

Post #291042 20th Feb 2016 3:21 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

I can't imagine what caused the shut-down while driving. That doesn't sound like a battery thing as the car will run off the alternator, so long as the battery is connected.
As regards flat battery, I take Shiggsy's point, but the problem has been much discussed on here and that has definitely been flagged as one of the problems. Just because LR says it will shut down doesn't mean that there may not be an electrical glitch that stops it working properly from time to time. I only had the flat battery problem once (on a MY07 diesel) and I'm pretty sure that was down to the car not shutting down after I used the boot (trunk) unlocking button. Other causes suggested have been Bluetooth as mentioned above and leaving the wipers/lights on auto.
Most of the instances discussed here were on quite early models. Yours seems a bit new for this problem. Ex AA Series III LWB Safari - Gone
300TDi Disco (bought new - terrible car) sent back after 18 months
Freelander 1 Estate - leased, given back at end of lease
200TDi Disco (bought from a mate with 100,000 on the clock) - Gone
Disco 2 TD5 - sold and exported to France
FR2 TD4 GS - Gone
FR2 SD4 HSE - Now changed for a DS
New model ex-demo Evoque S 180 in white
Unable to order a new DS, so gave up. Now have a Volvo S90 Recharge.

Post #291045 20th Feb 2016 3:45 pm
Tattenhall

With a bit of luck we will know the cause of the problem on Monday. Car was transported last night to the dealer. Stay tuned and I will report back.

Post #291047 20th Feb 2016 4:03 pm
Tattenhall

The outcome was that the dealer replaced the battery. However, the rub was that when they put the vehicle on the diagnostic machine they did not find any fault even with the battery. I passed on all your comments. They concurred that notwithstanding the diagnostics, the battery was probably at fault and that the car had gone into the crash mode when it slowed down. They had another name for this mode. 30 mph and not 10 mph. The chief mechanic concurred that the double locking was a requirement of the early LR2's but not the newer ones. They also suggested that perhaps the UK cars included certain 'features' not found on US spec' cars that required double locking. All very strange...........Thanks again for all your suggestions.

I have lived over here for a long time and this is my seventh LR. The Defenders are worth a fortune over here these days. If anyone has one over 25 years old and in good nick, you should consider selling it here.

Post #291479 23rd Feb 2016 11:18 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

Crash mode would make sense, although I don't see why that would have happened. The information about double locking is interesting. Not heard that before. Thanks. Ex AA Series III LWB Safari - Gone
300TDi Disco (bought new - terrible car) sent back after 18 months
Freelander 1 Estate - leased, given back at end of lease
200TDi Disco (bought from a mate with 100,000 on the clock) - Gone
Disco 2 TD5 - sold and exported to France
FR2 TD4 GS - Gone
FR2 SD4 HSE - Now changed for a DS
New model ex-demo Evoque S 180 in white
Unable to order a new DS, so gave up. Now have a Volvo S90 Recharge.

Post #291573 24th Feb 2016 11:14 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1