Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Just wondering...
How confident would you be to walk outside now and drive your Freelander 2 on a 2000 mile roadtrip without any breakdown or incident happening?
100% - very confident.
60%
 60%  [47]
80% - as sure as with anyother vehicle.
32%
 32%  [25]
Would need to prep it a bit and make sure my recovery / breakdown cover was in place.
6%
 6%  [5]
I'd choose my other car to make the journey if I wanted to feel more confident. (all dry motorway / A roads)
1%
 1%  [1]
Total Votes: 78

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
jenks1950

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Fingers crossed, but 3 years and 53k miles and other than oil and filters + one set of rear brake pads, nothing has rattled, squeeked, whined, dropped off, stopped working or needed adjusting. never missed a beat

EXCEPT...........................about 8 headlamp bulbs!!!!!!!!!!

Steve

Post #291393 23rd Feb 2016 11:46 am
tornado34

Prime example just happened.

My wife calls me from the car on her way to work (handfree of course) 'the RPM dial and screen under isn't working at all, should I be concerned or need to do anything?'.

99% sure a quick turn off and back on will solve it, but it just knocks your confidence in the electrics and ECU which is driving all functions of the car.

Too often an occurrence. On Sat this week I will drive up north to ski (just outside the artic circle) with my 3 kids in the car, do I feel as confident in the car today as i did yesterday? uuurrrr

I rest my case.

Post #291494 24th Feb 2016 8:59 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

The speedo on my last car didn't work for the last 5 years. It wasn't worth getting it fixed as I could remember RPM for each gear at 40, 50, 60, 70...... Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #291496 24th Feb 2016 9:16 am
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

dorsetfreelander wrote:
... Chilean Andes up in the Atacama desert. ... only vehicles he has seen so far have been Japanese like Toyota and Mitsubishi. He hasn't seen any sign of LandRovers in his travels.

In such markets it's a no-brainer. LR only have two types of offerings - crude, uncomfortable and expensive, and horribly-over-complicated and expensive. The Japanese, on the other hand, offer cars in those markets which are simple and easy to maintain, whilst still being comfortable, capable and moderately priced.

The UK farming market is going the same way - far more pickups than LRs on farms around here now.

Post #291524 24th Feb 2016 1:22 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

All Toyota pickups in New Zealand on farms. If the new Defender does not cut the mustard they will be here as well. Whistle

Post #291527 24th Feb 2016 2:36 pm
tornado34

Every time I see an off-road vehicle on the news in the deepest, darkest, dusty corner of the world or in a war torn shanty town, I'm so disappointed that we hardly ever see a LR. The Toyota's, Mitsubishi's and Nissans that are always there, being abused, appear to just keep on running.

The old Defender used to own and dominate these territories, based on it's ability but also its simple maintenance. Being able to fix a car on the roadside with nothing more than a swiss army knife, crowbar and a roll of duck tape is an absolute must! But it came at a price - a painful, uncomfortable price. (same philosophy as the Willy's Jeep)

Fast forward to the Toy's, Mitsi's and Nissans they just don't die (see trying to kill a Hi-Lux from Top Gear). More importantly they have much more comfort even AC.

I have to smile sometimes when I see them in India or somewhere in Africa, overloaded by about 500%, suspension slammed to the ground with the weight, not a single panel without damage, rust or zip tie stitching and they don't even look close to dying.

Maybe abuse is the new service schedule advice?

Post #291543 24th Feb 2016 5:48 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

When I was in Botswana last year we came across this. Miles from anywhere in the Moremi Game reserve, two guys fixing a Toyota Pickup. Looked like the had a half shaft out. I asked our guide if they ever took the vehicles back to the dealership and he just looked puzzled and said "how would we get them there?"

Click image to enlarge
 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #291578 25th Feb 2016 1:10 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12