Home > Technical > Autobox Learning
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Spatch

England 
Autobox Learning

Hi,

Does anyone know if the box learns in command shift (by looking at your chosen gear selections/speed etc) or does it only learn in D?

I am not sure how it would effectively learn in D as you are not 'teaching' it, but it would make sense if it learnt from you in command.

Post #285117 23rd Dec 2015 1:08 am
alex_pescaru

There are:
1. User adaptions - used for learning user's style
2. Pre-adaptions used for learning how to change gears smoothly.

For user adaptions you don't need to do anything, because it's done during each driving cycle.

For pre-adaptions learning you must use D because you need to let the box to learn in its terms and not to impose your will on it.
It's a lengthy procedure where you need a quite long and free road.
It involves at least 10 cycles of accelerating with exactly 30% throttle (max +/-5% tolerance) to over 80 km/h (50 mph) until reaching 6th gear, keeping there for a while and then coasting to 0 km/h. The coasting must be done in about 60 seconds, but no more.
Otherwise it will learn "the hard way" in a much longer time.
This is the basic learning where you help the box adjust the pressures and times used for solenoids during gear changes, in order to give you smooth changes.
The pre-adaptions are done at the factory before the car is exiting factory and only need to be done again when you work on the box's hardware.

Last edited by alex_pescaru on 23rd Dec 2015 9:03 am. Edited 6 times in total

Post #285123 23rd Dec 2015 8:49 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

Ive had my 2010 auto FL2 now for about 10 days. I have just driven the car normally as required by traffic and road type (so a mix of crawling in traffic, 70mph dual carriageway, country roads etc and coasting up to junctions with feet off pedals;

Will the box be learning in this way ? or will I have to drive as Alex has suggested ?

Post #285124 23rd Dec 2015 8:54 am
alex_pescaru

I've modified a little the first post, so no, you don't need to do anything.

Post #285126 23rd Dec 2015 8:58 am
RogB

brilliant cheers Alex Thumbs Up

to be fair the gear change is a little sharp sometimes but otherwise its a lovely smooth box well suited to the Freelander

my only small complaint is that it does seem to hunt for 5th/6th when at motorway speeds but does settle to 6th quite quickly (60mph - 70mph)

Post #285127 23rd Dec 2015 9:01 am
Spatch

England 

Thanks Alex,

I have just had the software update done and the tech at the dealer said drive it hard for the next 60 or so miles.

My main two issues with the box was that it was jerky sometimes when initially pulling away (as if it wasn't already in gear) and there was a definate delay in putting my foot down and it taking off at speed (when pulling onto a busy fast road)

I am hoping the above two issues will be resolved but I definately got the impression that the delay when pulling away at speed could be reduced by the box learning again, based on it being driven hard.

I have noticed the delay appears to be less when in command shift so I wondered if teaching the box in command would reduce this delay further.

Post #285128 23rd Dec 2015 9:28 am
RogB

i get the same thing Spatch, if im in neutral or park and go to drive, and then try and pull away straight away then it jerks as if its engaging the gear. I normally just wait a second or two before putting my foot on the gas and its fine then. I just put it down to how an auto box works.

let us know If the s/w update cures the issue and what you had to do please. Mine has a full LR service history up until 8k miles ago so should really be fully up to date on any s/w updates.

how much did you get charged for the update by the way ?

cheers

Rog

Post #285135 23rd Dec 2015 10:07 am
alex_pescaru

If you are in neutral and you are in a hurry and put it into drive, but not letting the box to select gear, then the 1st gear engagement, because of the high engine RPM - remember you are in hurry and already pushed the throttle - will be harsh. It's perfectly normal, because of the RPM difference.

The manufacturer says: Specs for maximum N-D engagement is 1.0 seconds, N-Rev is 1.5 seconds.

In that one second the RPM could build you to the point of an initial harsh engagement.
So wait for one or two seconds if you don't want it.

Post #285142 23rd Dec 2015 10:41 am
RogB

yeh that's exactly what I do Alex. I used to have 2 x FL1 with the 5 speed Jatco auto box, and a Disco TD5 auto with the ZF 4 speed box. They were all exactly the same.

was just wondering if it was a software issue on this Aisin box after Spatch's comments.

Post #285144 23rd Dec 2015 10:48 am
Spatch

England 

alex_pescaru wrote:
If you are in neutral and you are in a hurry and put it into drive, but not letting the box to select gear, then the 1st gear engagement, because of the high engine RPM - remember you are in hurry and already pushed the throttle - will be harsh. It's perfectly normal, because of the RPM difference.

The manufacturer says: Specs for maximum N-D engagement is 1.0 seconds, N-Rev is 1.5 seconds.

In that one second the RPM could build you to the point of an initial harsh engagement.
So wait for one or two seconds if you don't want it.

Sometimes it was just slowing to a stop. Foot on brake. Foot off brake and pull away. Staying in D. There was a jolt as it appeared to be engaging a gear.

I would have no real issue with it if I was changing N-D or R-D in a hurry with my foot on the throttle but in my above scenario, it should have already been in first so no jolt?

Anyway, hopefully the sw update will have sorted this, along with the delay when flooring it.

Post #285149 23rd Dec 2015 10:57 am
richardk

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Aintree Green

Clever things aren't they.

We took one of a recently bought ones on holiday soon after picking it up..then into the Yorkshire Dales...I thought it was underpowered until I realised it was the gearbox still learning so had to drop a cog on the auto now and again if it struggled too much..but i was better by the end of the holiday

Post #285226 23rd Dec 2015 8:20 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1