« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Custom made EU Approved A Bar
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
LR NUT

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e Dynamic Manual Fuji White

I suggest you read this before you post utter nonsense Yawn

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/syst...l-bars.pdf MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior
MY15 Xenon Headlight Conversion

MY17 RRS SVR - Estoril Blue Cirrus/Ebony 🪣💺’s

Post #284920 20th Dec 2015 5:17 pm
Forty_two

England 

Quoting the pertinent section from the document:

General Requirements
It is not illegal for vehicles to be fitted with bull bars, although the Department would not recommend their fitment unless it has been shown, through compliance with specified safety standards, that they do not pose an additional risk of injury to pedestrians or other vulnerable road users.

It does indeed appear perfectly legal to fit a bull bar but the recommendation as I read it are that you should not. This is a one off custom made item, what testing has the design gone through to meet the safety standards set out?

Should the worst happen and you strike a pedestrian causing injury that would not have been sustained had the bar not been fitted what is your defence? Just because something is legal does not make it ok.

I don't want to appear that I am attacking LR NUT with this post, I really am not. For the record personally I would not fit the bars, but if I purchased a car with bars already attached, for example a classic range rover I would find it hard to remove them.

Post #284927 20th Dec 2015 6:13 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

I read that when you fit a bull bar then unless you can demonstrate a real need (such as you are a beef farmer) you are wide open to being sued by someone if you have an accident as you have negated the pedestrian or general crash friendly front end of your car. It might be worth running this past your insurer to get their view. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #284928 20th Dec 2015 6:18 pm
LR NUT

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e Dynamic Manual Fuji White

A bull bar is only if it goes over and around the vehicles head lights. My insurance has classed this bar as an A Bar Thumbs Up if anyone is really interested they will also cover me for a BULL BAR Thumbs Up MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior
MY15 Xenon Headlight Conversion

MY17 RRS SVR - Estoril Blue Cirrus/Ebony 🪣💺’s

Post #284938 20th Dec 2015 7:42 pm
Maxxed_Ross

Scotland 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Bali Blue

I really don't understand why people have so much hatred for bars. If you don't want to become a mangled pedestrian then stay on the pavement Rolling Eyes

As an example of our last Volvo C30 was nudged slightly in a car park and it caused nearly £2k worth of damage - not because it actually caused any physical damage to the car - but because all the "pedestrian friendly" mounting points shattered and more or less wrote off the front of the car.

and I have to admit that fitting the Kangaroo Killer to the Defender has stopped people trying to cut me up in traffic Laughing

Post #284948 20th Dec 2015 9:20 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Australia NSW as of Sept 2014.
http://roadsafety.transport.nsw.gov.au/dow...rances.pdf

An example of what is not allowed, 5 bar bull bars.
http://www.northerndailyleader.com.au/stor...bar-blitz/ Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #284953 20th Dec 2015 9:57 pm
Forty_two

England 

LR NUT, looks like the Australians are a good few evolutions ahead of you on efforts of strapping metal bars to the front of a vehicle Thumbs Up Get it strapped on and get some pics up.

I assume there is space to mount your spotlights on this or will they be sitting proud of the bars?

Post #284954 20th Dec 2015 10:05 pm
alex_pescaru

Sorry for my ignorance, but in the end, what's the purpose of this thing?...
I understand the use of such thing in wilderness, where you can suddenly found yourself with a kangaroo in front when you are cruising at 30+ mph, but its use in and around a town?....

Post #284955 20th Dec 2015 10:17 pm
Stuartc

Australia 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Aintree Green

Lol!
If you've seen the original "Mad Max" movies and the new one then yes that's what it's like here in Australia, they are everywhere.
The sad fact is they actually do more damage to your car, including pedestrians and are becoming super regulated here in Australia. Today's Cars are designed to absorb impact so your bar is just going to collapse with the rest of the crumple zone it's attached to, particularly a monocoque chassis. MY15
Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
Surround Camera System
InControl Apps soon to be replaced with CarPlay (WIP)
Meridian Premium Surround Sound
Digital Audio Broadcast
Timed Climate
Cruise ECO Data
Follow Me Home Reverse
Extra Features Menu
Picture In Motion
4x4i screen (WIP)
Digital Broadcast TV
Meridian Rear Media with WIFI
Factory Powered Tailgate
Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM)
Reverse Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
Electrochromatic Wing Mirrors (WIP)

Post #284964 21st Dec 2015 1:48 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Decades ago I spoke to a truck driver stopped along the Hay Plains. I asked what hit the bull bar on his rig. He had one of the heaviest truck bull bars I had ever seen. The whole left hand half had been mangled and some damage to the truck as well. A kangaroo!

In a previous life I was in the aluminium industry and some of my customers were bull bar manufactures. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #284966 21st Dec 2015 5:08 am
Jonathan26

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Caspian Blue

Regulations...government websites...whatever.

I don't post often on here, more or a watcher (and learner) but unless this thing is made from chocolate, I have to ask - WHY ?

No-one wants to have an accident and people, cyclists and other motorists should take more responsibility than they do but in the end, a collision is a collision. It's all academic when this monstrosity has done double the damage to their legs. FL2 2007 57 GS
D2 2005 Td5 - gone and not missed
FL1 2005 Td4 - gone and missed

Post #284969 21st Dec 2015 8:54 am
j77

Scotland 

It's a well documented fact that Scotland is overun with Kangaroos, they are rare breed that love IRN-BRU and White Fl2s. So you can see Nuts problem here, he's vulnerable and prone to attack. The problem is so bad I sold my White Fl2 and went with a White Evoque as they ain't keen on them. We are desperately seeking help from the SNP as Westminster have washed their hands of the problem. Until then owners of White Fl2s have to do whatever they can to keep themselves safe. With the decline of the Fl2 model God only knows what the mutated Disco Sport will do to them. I just hope and pray us Blue D4 owners won't be next.

Some say it was a group of them chasing a White Fl2 HSE LUX that caused damage to the Forth Road Bridge. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #285005 21st Dec 2015 3:46 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

hasn't even been fitted and its already knocked someone over and scalped him Laughing

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #285010 21st Dec 2015 4:12 pm
j77

Scotland 

Hiding from those pesky kangaroos. He's vulnerable at the moment without an A-bar Laughing 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #285011 21st Dec 2015 4:17 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

those wild Scottish haggis too, lethal when they jump out in front of you Laughing Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #285013 21st Dec 2015 5:35 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>