Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Nexen Roadian HP Tyres - Anyone Used These?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Eurolandy

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey
Nexen Roadian HP Tyres - Anyone Used These?

Just looking for some new tyres for the rear wheels.
I have Goodyear Wranglers on the front (as fitted by the LR dealer and have about 7.5mm tread) but didn't like the price of £140+ a tyre. So I looked at General Grabber UHPs at £106 (UHPs are directional tyres but get a good press).
On of the chaps at work has fitted Nexen Roadian HP tyres to his jap 4x4 and just wondered if anyone had used this make. Seem to be 'V' rated for speed (dont think I will be going that fast) and have a load rating of 108 (Wranglers are 104 I think). Seem to be a hard compound so wear is OK but road holding in the wet is not brilliant from what I am told (mostly reports from ‘Hot Hatch’ owners). Some tyre companies rate Nexens as 'Mid-Range' tyres.
Anyone used these?
Thanks,
Chris

Post #79258 26th Oct 2010 10:19 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

i read over on RRSport that one had used Nexians and said for a cheapo tyre he was pleased Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #79260 26th Oct 2010 10:45 am
phil_wkl

Australia 

I'm all for saving a bit of money but when it comes to tyres, which frankly are pretty important to keeping your car on the road, going for cheapo tyres seems weird to me. Your car is the best part of £20k so scrimping the odd £20 per tyre is madness. I'm not having a go at euro but it's something i've seen often and obviously everyone's financial circumstances are different but ringing around a few suppliers can often save a bit of money. Anyway, just my opinion. Phil

Post #79269 26th Oct 2010 1:11 pm
bambi68

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Zermatt Silver

Old thread but I have just ordered 2 tyres for the front, nexen rodian, brother runs them on his jeep grand Cherokee and is pleased with them.

So we shall see. My11 freelander 2, xs, Manual, 18" hse sparkles, sidesteps, privacy, zermatt silver metallic, almond nutmeg alacantra, twin electric towbar

Gone my09 xs D3

Post #197051 29th Aug 2013 10:54 pm
Pedro

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Galway Green

My LR Main Dealer Service Department actually recommended these tyres to me 'if I was staying mainly on road'. As it was, I plumped for 4 x Goodyears in the end. FL2 HSE Auto Galway Green
Evoque SD4 Auto Blue.
FL1 HSE TD4 Manual Black - Gone.
RR Classic V8 EFI - Gone

Post #197081 30th Aug 2013 11:42 am
kimosabe

2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

I went with 17" General Grabber AT for bad weather ROAD use and 19" Continental Cross Contact UHP for good weather ROAD use. I did loads of research and eventually settled on AJS to buy from and to fit them. Andy (AJS) also sold me some OEM 17" rims to run them on and now the car can cross pretty much anything I want to drive on.

All the same, it is always worth mentioning that the laws of physics still apply, so don't think you're going to be able to drive on sheet ice, just because you have some 'off roady' type rubbers fitted. For that sort of driving, you need Winter tyres as a minimum.

Ideally, you'd have a set of good-wet weather tyres on the car until the temperature dropped to below 7 degrees when you'd have a set of Winter tyres ready to drive on.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the LR courtesy 2013 FL2 XS i'm currently driving has 17" Goodyear Wranglers fitted and I find them very bouncy and a bit noisier by comparison to either sets of my tyres. Whereabouts unknown stop going to follow stream until reach civilisation stop message ends

Post #198439 8th Sep 2013 3:12 pm
bambi68

As I spend most time on road( why have a 4x4 then) nose weight in a word, I bought 2 Rosina's for the Freelander , noise seems the same as the scorpions , I'll let you know how I get on with em in the wet and snow as it arrives My11 freelander 2, xs, Manual, 18" hse sparkles, sidesteps, privacy, zermatt silver metallic, almond nutmeg alacantra, twin electric towbar

Gone my09 xs D3

Post #198448 8th Sep 2013 3:21 pm
Geo

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Orkney Grey
Nexen Roadian HP Tyres

I've bumped this old thread, because I've just changed my td4 FL2 for a sd4 and the new FL2 has 4 X Nexens with 7 to 8 mm tread, but I've not got confidence in these tyres, especially on wet roads. I had the old FL2 for 6 years, which always had Goodyear Wranglers fitted and I have been very happy with the handling in all conditions.
Does anybody else have these tyres and what is your experience with them?
George Freelander 2 XS SD4 Auto Orkney Grey
Freelander 2 XS SD4 Auto Ipanema Sand (gone)
Freelander 2 XS TD4 Auto Baltic Blue (gone)
Discovery Millennium TD5 LE Maya Gold (gone)
Discovery 200 Tdi Man Beluga Black (gone)

Post #284571 16th Dec 2015 10:44 pm
bambi68

Hi geo, had em on for a couple of yrs now, no complaints at all from the tyres, they are round they grip aswell as can be expected, we tow a caravan and the tyres have completed all the required tasks without fuss,

I would quite happily and have put 2 more on the rear, the fronts are now running low, outside edge of the nr side is scrubbed quite badly but went through its test but will be replaced next week. They have lasted about 15k so far and the tyres on the whole are ok just the outer edge on that tyre (roundabouts don't you know ).

I will happily fit the same tyre again. My11 freelander 2, xs, Manual, 18" hse sparkles, sidesteps, privacy, zermatt silver metallic, almond nutmeg alacantra, twin electric towbar

Gone my09 xs D3

Post #284576 16th Dec 2015 11:46 pm
Eurolandy

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey

I ended up with NEXEN Roadian HPs all round on my last Freelander 2. Never had a problem on any road surface whether wet or dry. M&S rated and surprisingly good in the snow a few winters ago (although they were newish with 6 – 7mm of tread at the time). They were still legal after 25,000 miles when I traded the car, which may not be as good as some premium tyres for wear but is still not bad. If there was one issue, it was they were directional so I kept one of the old Goodyears as a multidirectional spare.
Pity they don’t make them in 235/60 18 for my current FL2 as I would buy again. NEXEN make an RU1 (or something like that) for my wheel size which is classed as an SUV tyre but I haven’t heard many reports on that yet (Seems to be designed 100% for road use). Gone:
2002 FL1 TD4 GS Zambezi Silver
2007 FL2 TD4 GS Izmir Blue

Post #284603 17th Dec 2015 9:38 am
Past master

United Kingdom 

We had a Nexen on my wife's old Astra - an odd one fitted by the dealer for the MoT, when they told her there was "something" wrong with one tyre. I wasn't too happy having just one, but it seemed fine. However, when I checked if I could buy three more, I found that size is no longer available. In short, maybe they could have availability problems? Ex AA Series III LWB Safari - Gone
300TDi Disco (bought new - terrible car) sent back after 18 months
Freelander 1 Estate - leased, given back at end of lease
200TDi Disco (bought from a mate with 100,000 on the clock) - Gone
Disco 2 TD5 - sold and exported to France
FR2 TD4 GS - Gone
FR2 SD4 HSE - Now changed for a DS
New model ex-demo Evoque S 180 in white
Unable to order a new DS, so gave up. Now have a Volvo S90 Recharge.

Post #284723 18th Dec 2015 3:40 pm
Geo

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Orkney Grey

Many thanks for the replies. I'll keep the tyres and maybe my confidence will improve with more miles on the clock. I checked the tyres and found one 7 psi too high and also this:-

I hope my first photo post uploads OK.
I've now got the tyre on correct and handling does feel better.
George

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Freelander 2 XS SD4 Auto Orkney Grey
Freelander 2 XS SD4 Auto Ipanema Sand (gone)
Freelander 2 XS TD4 Auto Baltic Blue (gone)
Discovery Millennium TD5 LE Maya Gold (gone)
Discovery 200 Tdi Man Beluga Black (gone)

Post #284822 19th Dec 2015 5:12 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

You have to wonder what sort of fitter would fit a tyre like that.
Although come to think of it, could be ex-military. Once sat through a lecture where a sergeant explained to my cadets how important it was to put the tyres on the "right" (ie wrong) way round. He was a sergeant, so I didn't correct him. Ex AA Series III LWB Safari - Gone
300TDi Disco (bought new - terrible car) sent back after 18 months
Freelander 1 Estate - leased, given back at end of lease
200TDi Disco (bought from a mate with 100,000 on the clock) - Gone
Disco 2 TD5 - sold and exported to France
FR2 TD4 GS - Gone
FR2 SD4 HSE - Now changed for a DS
New model ex-demo Evoque S 180 in white
Unable to order a new DS, so gave up. Now have a Volvo S90 Recharge.

Post #284823 19th Dec 2015 6:28 pm
andy3681

United Kingdom 

The tyres are fine, have had them on the Range Rover for two years never had an issue. Not a off road tyre but good every day tyre, lot of FF forum members have them fitted to supercharged RR which are a lot heavier than a Freelander.

Post #284824 19th Dec 2015 6:30 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1