Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > heated windscreen
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
boiledgnat

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

New screen being fitted on Monday. £25 excess (one of the benefits of being with NFU Mutual!)

No idea of full retail price, the chap at National Windscreens said it was too new a model for them to have prices for yet ???

(at least I can get rid of the unwanted sticker my dealer stuck on Laughing )

BG

Post #2716 27th Apr 2007 3:36 pm
boiledgnat

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

New screen fitted, all seems to work fine. Only problem was that the fitter slipped when taking the old screen out and scratched the side pillar !! Censored Apparantly he's never done that before (which makes me feel great!).

Post #2772 30th Apr 2007 9:48 pm
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

One would hope that if he made a habit of doing it, that he would no longer be working for the company! How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?
Now driving - RRE Coupe Dynamic Lux Auto with Plus pack, Fuji White, Ebony, SD4 with tow pack
Gone - 2010MY FFRR TDv8 Stornoway and Ivory, Privacy - the pace of a TDv8 RRS, the incomparable grace of a Range Rover
Gone but will be missed- RRS Tdv8 HSE Stornoway Grey with Ebony Leather
Gone (only a little missed) RRS Tdv6 2.7SE Giverny Green/Aspen
Defender 90 County HT in Epsom Green

Post #2776 30th Apr 2007 10:33 pm
defkalion

Greece 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Changing the windscreen has crossed my mind (remember the problem with the heating wiring at night?). After your experiencce boiledgnat, I think I'd better get used to it! Btw, did they fix the scratch or just left it there?

Post #2777 30th Apr 2007 10:44 pm
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

I have a heated front screen on the RRS and have never noticed it at night unless I have switched it on. You just do not see the element if it is off. The only time I have used the heated front screen has been when there is frost on the outside of the glass, if the car should have got misted up on the inside then there is something wrong with the climate control as I leave that on all the time as it also dehumidifies the inside of the car as well as keeping the temperature constant. How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?
Now driving - RRE Coupe Dynamic Lux Auto with Plus pack, Fuji White, Ebony, SD4 with tow pack
Gone - 2010MY FFRR TDv8 Stornoway and Ivory, Privacy - the pace of a TDv8 RRS, the incomparable grace of a Range Rover

Post #2780 30th Apr 2007 10:56 pm
defkalion

OK Tim, this got me really confused now. The wiring element is there all the time and it is visible too. During daylight I too never notice it. Powering it on does not change anything (as far as visibility is conserned), isn't that right? Although the wiring is barely noticable during daylight, during night when lights fall onto it the light gets kind of diffracted and this makes it annoying. Is my reasoning wrong? Your opinion will be really appreciated. After all, am i the only one annoyed by this? Big Cry

Post #2784 1st May 2007 9:45 am
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

I have never noticed it at night with the power off, but I have no experience of night driving with it switched on as I don't use it as a demister, only as a de-icer. At work we have heated windscreens on the ship's windows for very cold weather and they do cause very severe distortion of the view out when the element is on - but our ship system isn't like the heated screen on a car, it is a small element down in the lower right corner of the window that warms the whole window after a while. I have also seen what happens when the thermostat fails and the heater doesn't switch off - it's quite spectacular to see 15mm thick laminated/ amroured plate glass shatter.

What I don't understand is why you drive with the screen heater on at night? If it is demisting you want why not use the climate control/ aircon with warm air set to blow at the screen? How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?

Post #2788 1st May 2007 10:07 am
defkalion

Well Tim, let me make myself clear. I do not yet use the screen heater. The system is off, but at night surrounding lights and especially opposite comming car lights get distorted on the wiring (although system is off). It's the thin wiring that makes the light diffract not the powering on. I hope that this is clearer now. Smile Any comments then?

Post #2819 2nd May 2007 10:19 am
EM

Russia 

defkalion

Locally lot of ford focuses and mondeos are sold with this option. I can say this is matter of personnal acceptance.
For me it is OK, but I know peoples who don't like such things in bright sun and night conditions. Freelander 2 HSE i6 Tonga Green

Post #2820 2nd May 2007 10:27 am
defkalion

That's right EM. I agree it's something you have to get used to. I like my LR2 so much, that I think I ll soon get used to the heated screen. Thanks for your opinion.

Post #2828 3rd May 2007 10:24 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123