Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Flat tyre Driven quite a few miles on it?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
turboextreme

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Loire Blue
Flat tyre Driven quite a few miles on it?

Great start to a Monday morning Censored Got to work 5 am when parked I noticed the left rear tyre was slightly bulging.
Plugged my inflator on it to find only 7psi Shocked I had driven 150 miles on sunday with the flat and didn't notice any signs of having a flat it didn't even make a difference with the handling.
Had a lot of cursing and swearing trying to change the tyre in the dark using the stupid suppied unused jack what a faff even have grazed knuckles from using the thing.
Once i had removed the wheel i found a large screw in the tyre.

Why is there a speed rating on the spare?

I think I might look around for some sort of tyre monitoring device which will let me know if I have a flat.

Post #274995 7th Sep 2015 10:11 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

.... & maybe replace the biscuit as well!

I keep a pair of leather gloves in the car to save knuckles. Unfortunately have had to change too many tyres. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #275017 7th Sep 2015 12:14 pm
heyho

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

I remember driving maybe upto 150 miles on a flat at motorway speeds when I first got the car. Didn't know it was flat may I add and the car didn't show any ill effects as I was driving it.

Was driving back from Devon to Leeds, got around 150 miles and decided to stop at the service station. As soon as I got out of the car I notice the rear passenger tyre was totally flat. Drove the rest of the way at a tentative speed with one of those space savers 50mph on.

Post #275019 7th Sep 2015 12:31 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Looks to me like that tyre is unrepairable - it looks to me like sidewall damage where the tyre has rum on the rim. Not much left on it anyway. DO NOT get it repaired without having the inside of the casing examined - you'll probably find lots of shredded rubber inside.

Post #275020 7th Sep 2015 12:52 pm
turboextreme

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Loire Blue

Local tyres fitter came out with mobile van and repaired the tyre for free. The inside of the tyre was still ok so he drilled and cored the puncture.
The side wall scraping of the rear tyres are caused by the Mrs curbing the likely cause Whistle the dust on the tyres is me going off road taking my daily green lane short cut shaves a few miles of my trip to work and to avoid the traffic cues home. Mr. Green
I will be fitting some new tyres as soon as possible when I have decided what to put on.

Post #275024 7th Sep 2015 1:39 pm
Landiroamer

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 TD4_e SE Manual Orkney Grey

Traffic queues, youd be snookered with any other traffic cue, Laughing

Post #275028 7th Sep 2015 2:01 pm
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

Speed rating on the spare is due to it being mounted on a steel wheel as opposed to an alloy wheel.

Post #275051 7th Sep 2015 5:55 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Nothing to do with it being a steel rim. Tyres across an axle must be of the same size and aspect ratio EXCEPT when a different size tyre is being used as a temporary spare in which case it must be restricted to a maximum speed of 50mph/80kph and must be marked accordingly. If the tyre is the same size and aspect ratio as the other tyre on the same axle, the speed restriction does not apply. Thumbs Up

Post #275053 7th Sep 2015 6:14 pm
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

My first Freelander 2 had a spare tyre that was exactly the same as the tyres fitted to the vehicle but it was fitted to a steel wheel and had a speed restriction label attached to it!

Post #275083 7th Sep 2015 8:58 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

I think that's because the 'standard' 17" steel spare wheel tyre is the same size as the 17" alloy wheels that are fitted in which case the speed restriction will not apply. I suspect that whoever supplies the spare steel wheel fits the labels on all of them as they will not know which alloys will be fitted to which vehicle. They all have the same rolling circumference whether they are 17", 18" or 19" etc.

Post #275107 8th Sep 2015 7:41 am
ad210358

England 

Sure it's been said on here that the 50mph warning is to do with the wheel bolts being for alloy wheels and the and the temporary spare being steel. p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #275186 8th Sep 2015 6:26 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Don't take my word for it then. Rolling Eyes

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/safet...heels.html

Post #275193 8th Sep 2015 7:03 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

I don't disbelieve you, but the idea of it being because of the steel wheel is quite widespread. The article you quote refers mainly to "skinny" spares. Can anyone quote chapter and verse on this (ie something from the manufacturer, not just a generic article)? Ex AA Series III LWB Safari - Gone
300TDi Disco (bought new - terrible car) sent back after 18 months
Freelander 1 Estate - leased, given back at end of lease
200TDi Disco (bought from a mate with 100,000 on the clock) - Gone
Disco 2 TD5 - sold and exported to France
FR2 TD4 GS - Gone
FR2 SD4 HSE - Now changed for a DS
New model ex-demo Evoque S 180 in white
Unable to order a new DS, so gave up. Now have a Volvo S90 Recharge.

Post #275220 8th Sep 2015 11:10 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

The article specifically mentions 'Temporary use non-standard/skinny spare wheels". I'm an MOT tester. I know for a fact it is perfectly legal to mix steel/alloy wheels on the same axle as long as they have the same size tyres. It's my job to know. If a car came in with a space saver or a steel spare wheel fitted with a different size/aspect ratio tyre to the other (alloy) wheels it will not pass.

Sometimes you just have to stop looking for chapter and verse of why you can do something and instead look for a piece of legislation/law/construction and use act/MOT rules to see if there is a prohibition to doing that. I am aware of the laws regarding mixed size tyres on the same axle but I do not know of any legislation regarding using steel/alloy wheels on the same axle. What could you be charged for?

Post #275232 9th Sep 2015 7:49 am
Stubbenoldgit

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Lux Auto Zermatt Silver

Steve D is correct on this, it's a clause in the Construction and Use regulations which imposes this 50mph limit. Nothing to do with steel wheels and bolts, simply a size and construction difference on same axle.

Why there should be a label if the tyre is genuinely the same size and construction then no idea, apart from the one offered earlier, in that the supplier sticks it onto all of them

Just to add it's regulation 26 Mixing of Tyres in Construction and Use regs.

Post #280348 4th Nov 2015 2:26 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1