Home > Technical > Correct Motor Oil for our Freely 2 TD4
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
yamaha-fan

Germany 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
Correct Motor Oil for our Freely 2 TD4

Correct motor oil for our Freely 2 TD4

In Western Europe the reports increased that Freely 2 with the TD4 engine with DPF (diesel particulate filter) tend to break down due to sogged DPF with diesel soot. The Landrover recommendation to burn the soot in the DPF did either not work or did not last long. The result is that Freely 2 owners have sued Landrover for selling Freely 2 which are not fit for its purpose. And they have won. A German High Court has ruled that it is unacceptable in todays highly sophisticated technical world to accept the regular braking down of Freely 2 TD4 due to the sogging of the DPF. And now the finding: Landrover demands motor oil for the Freely 2 according to the Ford norm WSS...913B, a very basic oil with an ash content of 1,3 vol% - and not suitable for engines with DPF. DPF engines require special motor oils with a verly low ash content around 0,6 vol%, such as Mobil 1 Formula ESP 5W30, or Castrol Edge Turbo Diesel low ash 0W30, or Shell Helix Ultra "E" 5W30 and the like.
The German High Court has instructed Landrover to inform its repair-shops and all owners accordingly. Alternatively, all affected owners may return its Freely 2 to Landrover on money back basis.

YF

Post #27588 17th Sep 2008 1:17 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Thanks for that very clear info YF - I have printed it out and will hand a copy of it to my service station when the Freely has its first oil change Thumbs Up .

All I have asked here in Norway, about what oil I should use, have given me a different answer Rolling Eyes . In fact, this has resulted or so it seems that I have topped up with the wrong oil type, but which was reccomended by a Land Rover dealer. Confused 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #27591 17th Sep 2008 1:27 pm
scotster

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Hi YF.

This is only applicable to TD4's with DPF right?

Did you get any more info on you other long running post on the University studies of two stroke oil in the petrol?

Rgds, Scott. '57 GS TD4 in Stornoway. Privacy, Leather, Tred Cills. From ebay etc.. 18" 12 spoke HSE alloys, rear spoiler, clear side repeaters with clear leds, led interior light to replace bulbs, sports exhaust trim, TomTom 720.
Favourite Off road vehicle, still my Santa Cruz Mountain Bike! Smile http://www.team-banana-racing.com

Post #27684 18th Sep 2008 12:43 pm
jimmy

Denmark 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

.........glad I listened to YF and changed the oil myself, to shell ultra helix..........

Job done ! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #27773 19th Sep 2008 10:53 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1