Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Laptop advice please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Oh no! Just did a search on a Surface pro 3 (12" so just a tad too small) and.......there's a Surface pro 4 coming out! Possibly 14". Just right so even better! Apparently it is due to be launched at the same time as windows 10 in July. Now, I do like to buy the latest gadget out even though I never use them to their full potential. I just wonder whether I can hold out that long though? But what if Lenovo bring out a yoga 4 too? Aaaaaaaarggggh! Sad

Post #263490 12th May 2015 6:29 am
Chuckalicious

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

There will always be a new model Smile if the current specs don't suit and the new ones do, it may make sense to wait. If the current specs work for you, you have 2 options: Buy now and enjoy now or wait until new model is released and hope you can get a discounted Pro 3. Learned to drive in 2011.
Bought a Micra - great little car
"Upgraded" to Kia Sportage - hated it
Proper upgrade to FL2 TD4 GS 60 reg Facelift - tailgate paint issues, fuel gauge rewire, transfer box failure at 36k miles, clutch at 60k
Reconditioned diff at 70k ish
Sold at 84k and now on a DS. Terribly unreliable.
Sold DS for a 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. Fingers crossed....
Sold Outlander for a 2014 SD4 SE Tech because I’m mental

Post #263491 12th May 2015 7:19 am
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

I fancy a surface pro too, and will be interested in any comments from the experts on the forum re pros and cons of this machine.

Iain

Post #263498 12th May 2015 8:27 am
nick the greek

Greece 

I think a decent windows laptop/tablet is the lenovo yoga...

n. 2013 SE TD4 in Mauritius Blue [Written off]

Post #263596 12th May 2015 9:55 pm
scrimple

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Ipanema Sand

I worked in the IT industry for over 15 years at a well known electrical retail chain managing a team of techies providing technical support to retail in store staff in UK & scandinavia.

Having been in the business so to speak, I was well indoctrinated into the Microsoft solutions pathways and the ways to overcome the shortfalls of the operating systems to achieve something like a reasonable usable operating system for the end user.

I never needed to pay for software, it was always provided to us for free to "test" and "Debug" the software prior to release. Since leaving the business some 5 years ago, I struggled on with the various incarnations of Microsoft, tried UBUNTU, but it is not really a finished product and it does need a good degree of technical ability and is no way viable for the average user, that was until about a year ago.

I have had experience of various Mac offerings over the years but like the general buying public, never really got involved due to the high price of the kit. Since retirement however, I now have the opportunity and the means, so I did pay the £1000 premium, and to be completely honest, it is simply the best £1000 I have ever spent.

The laptop (I have the Mac book Pro) is a one piece aluminium block with the keyboard milled out to accept the keys, the trackpad is brilliant and so intuitive, dragging your fingers down on the trackpad to go up on the page, seems strange at first but after a day or so, you begin to understand how natural it all is.

It blends seamlessly with other Apple kit, start a mail on your iphone and finish it on the laptop, your phone rings, answer it on the laptop send a message from your laptop and see it on your iphone or iPad, really integrated, switched on kit that works, no fiddling to get it to see peripherals, they just work. I have a TV dongle to get digital TV for when I am away with the caravan, doddle, plug it in and it works, and at just £17.50 it aint expensive.

Go to the apple store, have a play, try it all out and you will be surprised just how good it all is.

I am now an Apple convert and I wished I had converted years ago, sure it aint cheap, but then neither am I.  MY2014 SD4 XS
Ipanema Sand

MY10 TD4-e GS Manual
Lago Grey Now retired after 8 trouble free years

Post #263678 13th May 2015 11:54 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Hmm. Thanks for your input. I don't doubt for one minute the performance and reliability of a Mac product but apart from not being able to use it as a tablet, a Mac will simply not fit my criteria for true 'laptop' use judging by the posts on various Mac forums:

"Hey guys I just bought a 13.3 inch macbook pro from the apple store a few days ago and I have noticed when I am using it, it gets really hot. Like to the point where if I have it in my lap its buring my legs. I am only surfing the web and using microsoft office when it gets hot. How can I stop this?"

Burning your legs? Read the User Guide that came with your MBP. Chapter 5 Safety Information. Just in case you need some help:
"Proper handling. Set up your MacBook Pro on a stable work surface that allows for adequate air circulation under and around the computer. Do not operate your MacBook Pro on a pillow or other soft material, as the material can block the airflow vents. Never place anything over the keyboard when operating your MacBook Pro. Never push objects into the ventilation openings.
The bottom of your MacBook Pro may become very warm during normal use. If your MacBook Pro is on your lap and gets uncomfortably warm, move it to a stable work surface. "

"The reason your MacBook is getting hot is because you are using it on your legs. In order to keep cool it must be on a hard flat surface so that air can flow beneath it. When it is on your legs, it sinks down, airflow is cut off, and heat collects."

So I guess a MacBook is totally useless for what I want it for - I can get that sort of heat using a cheap laptop, no need to pay a premium price to burn my lap!

Post #263687 14th May 2015 7:27 am
Chuckalicious

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

That is the sad truth of most laptops, as you've seen. If you block airflow, it'll get hot. They are designed to be used on desks and tables, not legs and beds. Learned to drive in 2011.
Bought a Micra - great little car
"Upgraded" to Kia Sportage - hated it
Proper upgrade to FL2 TD4 GS 60 reg Facelift - tailgate paint issues, fuel gauge rewire, transfer box failure at 36k miles, clutch at 60k
Reconditioned diff at 70k ish
Sold at 84k and now on a DS. Terribly unreliable.
Sold DS for a 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. Fingers crossed....
Sold Outlander for a 2014 SD4 SE Tech because I’m mental

Post #263688 14th May 2015 7:30 am
taztastic

England 

I use my iPad to sit my XPS13 on, plenty of airflow and works a treat on your lap Thumbs Up

Post #263689 14th May 2015 7:33 am
Yanwoo

2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Galway Green

I don't think that's the case with newer MacBooks with SSD. I have a macbook pro 13" (late 2013) and it runs very cool (has an SSD). I use it on my lap with no problem, except perhaps getting a chill... Pretty much zero fan noise too.

I also have a Macbook Pro 2009 and that does get incredibly hot when it has to work a bit. FL2 2011 SD4 XS in Galway Green

Post #263699 14th May 2015 8:47 am
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Went to the Apple Store tonight to look at what they had. The laptops all looked good quality and if I wanted one for sitting at a desk I'd seriously consider one, but not what I'm looking for at the moment. I can't get on with touch pads and prefer a tablet and one finger for my evening browsing in front of the telly! Even on the laptop I use at work I use a cordless mouse. Going to have to be a 2 in 1 of some sort.

Post #263787 14th May 2015 10:04 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Update:
Plumped for a mid-range 15.6" 2 in 1 Toshiba. Seems ok. Nice and thin. £700 and I will be getting £70 cashback too. http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/la...5-pdt.html

Post #274389 2nd Sep 2015 12:02 pm
koolandy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Sumatra Black

I'm a bit late to the thread but just for those with Windows 7/8/8.1.

I have done the Windows 10 update (from 7) and it is so much quicker to boot.

Screen casting is nice to allow viewing photos on the TV.
Tablet mode is interesting (with no touch screen).

I was an Apple Guy in the 80's, PC in the 90's, Linux in the 00's and Android in the 10's. Smile Laughing FL2 HSE 2.2 TD4 MY07 Sumatra Black
Packs - Bi-Xenon Lights, Heated Windscreen, Heated Memory Seats, Privacy Glass, Fuel Heater, Armrests, Towbar
FL 2.2 HSE TD4 MY00 Station wagon Black

Post #274406 2nd Sep 2015 2:07 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123