Home > Technical > Freelander 2 Turbo
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ping182

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Galway Green
Freelander 2 Turbo

Hi All

This is my first post and TBH i really dont know much about engines at all.

I've had my 2009 Freelander 2 TD4e XS now for 12 months and in that time have had the Rear DIff bearing sorted and replaced a Throttle Body. When the TB was replaced the mechanic told/showed me the old part, which had a little oil in the bottom of it and said that from experience this could indicate that the Turbo could be on its way out and yesterday my dad was following me and said when i changed down a gear to get up the hill a large amount of black smoke came out of the exhaust, which prompted me to think about what the mechanic said about the turbo.

Im not sure what the best corse of action is, wether to look at getting it fixed or is it time for the car to go as the air con has also now stopped working completely.

Thanks

Post #271683 4th Aug 2015 9:53 am
westville

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Fuji White

Could simply be a build up of gunge in the EGR (Exhaust Gas re-circulation) system which re-burns some of the exhaust gases to meet Eco/Green/TreeHugging legislation. Over time oily gunge gets deposited in the valve, along the feed pipes etc which causes black smoke when accelerating hard.
It could be turbo related and other things besides but I'd look at the EGR first - plenty of posts here and on other Forums about these nasty little devices
HTH No Longer the owner of a 2013MY Fuji White GS

"Fiat Lux" a philosophy not a car

Post #271684 4th Aug 2015 10:29 am
ping182

Hi Westville

Thanks for that will have a look into that.

Post #271692 4th Aug 2015 12:00 pm
ping182

Hi Westville

Just read about the EGR Valve and that may answer the black smoke issue but what concerns me is the mechanic saying the oily build up in the last throttle sensor could be a sign that the turbo might be failing. Should i be concerned about this build up and how could i finally find out if there is likely to be a turbo problem before im faced with a large turbo failure.

Big Thanks

Post #271693 4th Aug 2015 12:20 pm
Spatch

England 

If the EGR is failing it normally results in poor running, hesitation, lack of power.

The puff of black smoke is quite normal for a diesel under hard acceleration, if it were blue/white then that would be a concern. Your car is pre DPF so puffs like this would be not be unexpected. If its a huge puff then maybe your injectors need looking at.

The oil you refer to could just be oil from the vapour from engine breather pipe. The crank case is ventilated into the inlet of the engine so that any vapours from inside the engine are burned, and over a period of time, oil builds up and coats the inside on the inlet side of the engine. Sooty black crud would be from the EGR system but I am not sure if your throttle body is up or down stream from the EGR valve.

If all else is OK then probably nothing to worry about.

Post #271698 4th Aug 2015 1:52 pm
ping182

Hi spatch

Thanks for your reply and i can say that im experiencing no running problems or loss of power just concerned what the mechanic said about the throttle body and link to failing turbos, coupled with the burst of black smoke while under pressure of a hill and foot down.

all seems to be ok under normal driving conditions.

big thanks

Post #271701 4th Aug 2015 2:07 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

lots of oil on the picture in this thread and i don't think he had to replace his turbo

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic10246.htm...ottle+body Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #271702 4th Aug 2015 2:38 pm
ping182

Hi NPinks

Thats great help and good to know as ive been worried about what the mechanic said, maybe he needs some LandRover training or get on this forum

Big thanks

Post #271773 5th Aug 2015 8:45 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1