Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Events > Landy Rally Euro Charity Drive 2008: live tracking!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Tom Mc

United Kingdom 
Landy Rally Euro Charity Drive 2008: live tracking!

So, with only two days to go before Landy Rally`08 (incorporating Bofa 4x4 Rally this year encompassing all 4x4’s alongside the Land Rovers … rocks will be thrown!!!) Very Happy some exciting news. If you get yourself along to www.ventureoverland.com at the top right-hand corner of their home page can be found ‘Landy Rally Tracking’. Here you can follow progress of the event via this free mapping link.

Apparently the tracking device fitted to my Range Rover Classic updates every couple of minutes with the larger red dot on the map being me, with the two small red dots where the RR has been in the last 20 minutes … or so I’ve been told. For heaven’s sake, what do I know? They don’t call me ‘Technology Tom’ for nothing!

As I’m very often leading the pack, I’m told the idea is that wherever I am, the actual participants will be fairly close by. Mmmm, fine in theory …

With a flag-off start in Calais near the seafront at 9am 13th September 2008, the ‘non-speed event’ (as opposed to a proper race) travels 10 countries in 7 days tackling a heap of treasure hunt-type tasks en route, and 2,500 miles later arrives back at Calais Friday 19th Sept for a prize-giving dinner at the prestigious Café de Paris (owned by an off-roader incidentally). 30 separate charities were supported last year, so you can see it’s not just all about us. The charity side of things can be found at www.landyrally.com and within the event forum. By all means either join us at the start line or for the BIG party after prize-giving … or simply follow our progress through the Pyrenees and the Alps via ‘Landy Rally Tracking’.

The itinerary is:-

Saturday 13th September (DAY 1)
France (Start at Calais) – 680 mile drive!!!

Sunday 14th September (DAY 2)
Spain - off-roading in the Pyrenees, Andorra

Monday 15th September (DAY 3)
Andorra, France

Tuesday 16th September (DAY 4)
France (Val d’Isére off-roading), Italy

Wednesday 17th September (DAY 5)
Italy

Thursday 18th September (DAY 6)
Italy – driving the Stelvio Pass (voted the “best driving road in the world” by Top Gear. With 60 hairpins you can understand why!) Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Austria, Germany

Friday 19st September (DAY 7)
Germany via The Black Forest, Luxembourg, Belgium, France (Finish at Calais)

Last but not least, you are also most welcome to join us at the launch of the Landy Rally Club at Abingdon 4x4 Festival 27-28 September 2008 ( http://www.abingdon4x4festival.com ) and the BIG party Saturday night in our very own marquee – well, it's actually owned by Thames Valley 4x4 Club (thanks for the loan) but it’s ours to cause mayhem in for one night. Plenty of free grub, BYO booze. Start time? After the beer tent closes! Party on!!!

That’s it, and thank you one and all for making Landy Rally`08 special already … you know who you are!

Post #27123 11th Sep 2008 12:39 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1