Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Five years old, 32000 miles, new Power Steering Pump needed.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
julytourist

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Rimini Red
Five years old, 32000 miles, new Power Steering Pump needed.

Hi all, first post in a while, I had expected to post saying 5 year service completed and all I have had to do in 5 years was a set of rear brake pads...... However, mid service I get a phone call from the (well known main dealer here) who says squweak means new pump needed, £767 quoted (London prices)....... So thanks but no thanks for now. I do a search here and find the thread "Maintenance & Modifications > Heavy Steering at low speed and whine from steering pump" but this refers to a problem with early build cars and mine is June 2010. Lots of useful stuff however about the links between resevoirs/filters, fluid colour and the rack..... (I never expected the Spanish Inquisition....)
So this new thread asking for any advice as a supplement to the aforementioned thread? I have not noticed heavy steering or that much squeaking though my hearing is not that good. Do I accept the diagnosis or worry as to whether the rack is affected as well?. Ask other dealers for quotes? or go to local non LR garage for a much cheaper job? Car has full LR dealer service history from same dealer..... Any hope of LR contribution given age and mileage?? Thank you in advance for any advice members can offer.... JT
PS I will do a separate post about another issue which has arisen post service....... Upgraded to an ex demo, 7 mth old, Rimini Red/Ebony Napoli Auto HSE on 28th Jan 2011, added roof rails, mudflaps and side strips.
Gone - A great 57 Plate, Auto SE, Bought Feb 2009, Roof Rails and Mudflaps added on purchase. Blue colour, anything but drug dealer black.....

Post #270724 26th Jul 2015 12:23 am
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

If this is just the dealer spotting an alleged problem which you have not been aware of yourself I would take it with a pinch of salt.

They will always see pound signs when servicing a five year old car and try it on.

Iain

Ps post service issues do not surprise me either.

Post #270736 26th Jul 2015 10:22 am
Landiroamer

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 TD4_e SE Manual Orkney Grey

Thats very true, my last FL2 was a company fleet car, they tell you things will/might need doing but as soon as you say its a fleet car they change their minds and say well its ok for now just keep your eye on it.

A similar thing goes for tyres. a fleet company will not in general entertain replacing tyres until the are down to 2mm tread left, in my mind for a company car that does lots of miles at high speed on rain soaked motorways thats not enough and you can get aquaplaning, its dangerous.
Now whilst at ATS I heard them speaking to an old lady with a Metro telling her her tyres were worn down to 3mm and she should now have new ones.
So why should someone who only does town motoring to the shops need their tyres renewing before someone who drives on motorways at hight speed everyday?

Theres no reason, if they think 3mm is the minimum then all cars should be done at this, its just easier money getting an old lady to cough sooner than trying to get a fleet company to do the same.
On that basis they were probably conning the old lady out of a years motoring telling her she needed them when the they are telling the company driver they are still fine??

If they tell you something needs doing you are not aware of and its very expensive get a second opinion first is what I would say.

Post #270741 26th Jul 2015 10:33 am
ReggiePerrin

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red
Re: Five years old, 32000 miles, new Power Steering Pump nee

julytourist wrote:
Heavy Steering at low speed and whine from steering pump" but this refers to a problem with early build cars and mine is June 2010.

Mine was a Nov 2009 (MY10) so same MY as yours. It too developed the very pronounced steering pump whine, particularly when the fluid was cold but the steering never became noticeably heavier. A new reservoir, fluid and an hour or so of my time sorted it out perfectly.

It is a worthwhile first step to change the reservoir and fluid. If it then turns out to be something more serious like pump or rack then you have lost nothing as the parts only cost a few quid and you'll have nice clean filter and fluid to go with any other new components needed.

Post #270766 26th Jul 2015 4:02 pm
FL2Printzern

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

This spring my pas pump started to squeak and also with a very loud "worn bearing sound". It turned out to be a clogged filter in the reservoir. I just cleaned it and the problem was gone. The pump is very expensive so check out this first.

Post #270840 27th Jul 2015 11:44 am
julytourist

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Rimini Red

Many thanks for the replies, looks like asking my non LR garage to change the reservoir and fluid is the best option. I will report back once done.... JT Upgraded to an ex demo, 7 mth old, Rimini Red/Ebony Napoli Auto HSE on 28th Jan 2011, added roof rails, mudflaps and side strips.
Gone - A great 57 Plate, Auto SE, Bought Feb 2009, Roof Rails and Mudflaps added on purchase. Blue colour, anything but drug dealer black.....

Post #270870 27th Jul 2015 5:35 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1