« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Left side (driver's - North American) brake/side marker not
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
PuffyMcScrote

United States 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver
Left side (driver's - North American) brake/side marker not

Any ideas what could cause the brake, night-time running, and side-marker to not function? The reverse and indicator seem to be fine. I checked the bulbs and they seem fine, I see no worn or melted wires, and everything looks fine on the connections. I noticed it this morning and OF COURSE my local dealer can't get me in for a week and I have to drive out of state this weekend.
Help!

Post #268285 29th Jun 2015 4:41 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Once I had to replace a globe in the indicator. Many hours later I found that the replacement globe was not working either!

Check the replacement globe. Cross check everything. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #268311 30th Jun 2015 7:11 am
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Amazing what faults can-bus can throw up! Try a hard reset by disconnecting the battery and putting the car positive and negative terminals together. Nothing to lose but for 5 minutes of your time.

Bob 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #268315 30th Jun 2015 8:35 am
PuffyMcScrote

That's the reset? Unplugging both terminal cables and holding said cables together?

Post #268322 30th Jun 2015 11:46 am
dunkley201

It is. Best you can do yourself. May be worth a try. Cannot do any harm.

Post #268326 30th Jun 2015 12:06 pm
PuffyMcScrote

I was thinking that this morning and googling up the reset procedure was top of my list this morning to look up. Thanks, guys! I'll give it a whirl in a few.
Oh, also is there a new battery procedure? On my Dodge I had to do a "key dance" to reset the computer after disconnecting the battery - is there a similar procedure for the LR2?

Post #268327 30th Jun 2015 12:14 pm
MidlandRover

England 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

Should only need to reset the one shot windows and sunroof. FL2 SD4 Metropolis Auto Santorini Black / ivory completely stock.

It's true that light travels faster than sound, some people look quite intelligent until you hear them speak.

Stop global winging.

Post #268343 30th Jun 2015 3:31 pm
PuffyMcScrote

I left the battery unplugged for about 10 minutes. Reattached the cables and found I needed to reset the stereo and the windows, but alas it didn't resolve the light issue. Damn.

Post #268353 30th Jun 2015 4:45 pm
dunkley201

It was worth a try. Difficult to know what next to look at. You could try swapping the stop/tail lamp from the other (working) side to see if the fault remains or moves with the lamp. If it moves, problem solved! (it is remotely possible for there to be an internal short within the stop/tail lamp, the only item common to both circuits)

I just happen to have a spare tail light wiring loom in my workshop Rolling Eyes

Looking at this wiring loom, the brown coloured wire is the common earth (ground), connected to pin 5 of the multiplug. This wire must be good for the other lamps to work. There are separate grey coloured wires (Pins 1,2, 4 & 6) to each lamp, black coloured wire (Pin 3) to the indicator lamp. Pin 1 feeds the stop lamp, pin 4 feeds the tail lamp. This latter has a separate feed off to the side marker lamp on cars for your region. (Side markers not required in Europe). You could try a continuity check on each of these wires, although I think the real problem is in the can-bus somewhere. For that you may need to take a trip to your friendly dealer!

Post #268474 1st Jul 2015 4:58 pm
PuffyMcScrote

Great info, man. Appreciate it!
So... an update:

This weekend I also had the rear wiper suddenly hang limp (sounds like it's gearing is stripped) and the fuel sender sensor appears to be wonky as my gas gauge hung at half a tank for 180 miles. It fixed itself a few days later, but seeing as I have about 4000 miles left on my warranty, I'm taking it into the shop next week to get all these issues resolved (including a likely bad CV joint in the front).

Post #269040 8th Jul 2015 7:12 pm
Landiroamer

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 TD4_e SE Manual Orkney Grey

My old 2010 FL used to do a wobbly every now and then, you would start the engine and no instrumentation would be working at all, stop and restart and everything was fine again for another couple of months or so, then it would do it again.
Never did find out what it was and the dealers said no faults logged so I must have been imagining it.
Sometimes you would turn on the main lighting and nothing, turn it on again and ok. the wonders of can bus or in my case cant bus. Laughing

If the diagnostics says its ok theres nothing wrong even if its obvious, according to them, they still charge you though.
Rolling Eyes

Post #269043 8th Jul 2015 7:30 pm
PuffyMcScrote

Final update:
It's fixed. When I bought the vehicle it had the electrical hookups for a trailer, but no hitch. I paid it no mind, but according to the dealer, the line was spliced in to the left tail-light and something went wonky with that.
Additionally, they were going to charge me for diagnosing the fuel sensor thing (it fixed itself), so I passed.
Oh, and the rear wiper had stripped itself so it was hanging flaccid and limp.

Guess what the warranty covered? NOT A F-ING THING.

Seriously, why did I bother to buy the extended warranty from the dealer who assured me it was bumper to bumper (minus normal wear and tear) if the likes of the below were not covered?
1) Equipment on the vehicle when purchased
2) Faulty front seat that jiggled and rocked
3) Faulty fuel sensor
4) Rear wiper arm (NOT BLADE) that stripped itself

That's ludicrous and Censored -poor customer service. Mind you, the service guys have always been top-notch and have done quick and efficient work, acted with the utmost professionalism, and provided me with great customer service, but the warranty and sales folks... first with their backs against the wall when the revolution comes.
Honestly, I won't buy another LR vehicle until I'm in an area with a different dealership - and my wife was going to go in to buy either a Disco Sport or Evoque when she gets back from Genoa next week. Seriously... f- Land Rover of Richmond, Virginia.

Post #269683 15th Jul 2015 6:23 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1