« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > My Freelander 2 > New but not to Land Rover
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Landroverfan1

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Orkney Grey
New but not to Land Rover

This is my story about how I came to own a Freelander 2. Please stop reading when you get bored! (Now?)

I learnt to drive in a series 3 Land Rover. It was loud, had a heavy clutch and nothing like power steering in these modern cars. But it was simply fantastic. There was a red switch on the side of the dashboard which, encouraged by my brother and I, our dad would switch on, while accelerating. The results were dramatic: the roar of the engine would increase, trees would fly past the side window and at any moment we would go back in time, such was the speed. "How fast how fast?" my brother and I would shout over the noise of the engine. "23 miles an hour" my dad would reply, looking down at the dials. The switch only turned on the reversing light.

We used to go on holiday with another family. The father had what is now called a Range Rover Classic. It was brown with a brown interior and I just spent hours sitting in it. Pretending I was driving. Not on the road you understand. This is a Range Rover. I climbed mountains, waded through rivers, crossed desserts and all while sitting on a driveway, the car firmly in park and the keys to the engine inside the house. But before I had even reached the age of 8, I had conquered the world. In a Range Rover.

Over the years my dad went through a number of different Land Rovers, from a Discovery 2 (the somewhat thirsty petrol version), Discovery 3 (known as the red house) and Discovery 4 (known as the green house). There was also a green Defender and a P38A Range Rover. Don't know why but I loved the sound the indicators made on that car.

Many years later I was looking at a Volvo xc70 to buy. The salesman refused to negotiate over £95. So we left and headed home, somewhat despondent. My wife suggested we looked at the Freelander as she got the impression I'd always loved Land Rovers. After searching online we found a grey SD4 HSE Lux in Bolton. The garage was fantastic and a week later it arrived.

I know much of this forum is dedicated to off roading and I have taken the Freelander 2 across muddy fields in Devon, wet grassy hills in Dorset, beaches in the IoW. Never once did it get stuck or put a foot wrong. I asked an instructor, at Land Rover Experience, about the Freelander 2's capability compared to the brilliant Discovery: "It will go almost everywhere the Discovery will go. You may just have to take a different line." Anyway I wanted to just comment on its on road ability. We have taken the car across Europe, to Milan and Beaune. We have been to Bordeaux and Paris, Dusseldorf and the Loire, often with the car fully laden with suitcases, wine, food. Not once has it let us down. At 6ft4 I step out of the car at the end of an 8 hour journey and could continue for another 8 hours. I have driven the new Range Rover to Milan (an amazing car) but the Freelander is equally as comfortable. The sat nav only goes wrong when I put in the wrong address, the sound system, excellent, the seats so comfortable, cruise control easy to operate and the climate control set just right. It really is a super car.

Thank you so much for reading.

Post #266981 16th Jun 2015 10:16 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

Welcome aboard and a good family history story.

The forum is not all about off roading, very few of us actually venture further than a muddy potholed track, but we know that if needed it will generally get us where we want to go, in comfort and without breaking the bank (most of the time Whistle )

There are lots of very knowledgeable guys and gals on here, who are more than happy to give advice and discuss all sorts of stuff, from niggly faults, to customisation, to hard core faults.

Enjoy your FL2 Landroverfan, you have a really good car there Thumbs Up

Post #266982 16th Jun 2015 10:29 am
Mikeysmummy

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Welcome to the forum! Thanks for posting that, I thoroughly enjoyed the read. Refreshing to see a new member who is loving their FL2 so much and who hasn't popped on the site to try and diagnose a problem. Smile Paula. MY07 FL2 TD4 HSE Auto Tambora Flame - gone but not forgotten
MY09 FL2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black - gone and very much missed
Current - MY15 RR Evoque SD4 Dynamic Auto, Zanzibar Bronze with Black Pack, Contrast Roof, Privacy, Pano Roof, Heated Steering Wheel, Remote Tailgate & Keyless.

Post #266985 16th Jun 2015 11:05 am
Landroverfan1

Thank you both very much for your comments. Great to be part of this forum.

Post #266987 16th Jun 2015 11:21 am
chalkey

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

A really good read, welcome to the forum. Freelander are excellent cars still not sure about the new discovery sport, might grow on me once I see more on the road. 2013 hse auto, black, almond leather, exnon lights, factory privacy glass, exhaust finisher, rear boot spoiler, mud flaps. Body door side moulding and steps.

Gone and fondly remembered
2012 XS (2013 up-grade LED lights front & rear)
2007 hse (2011 facelift)

Post #267001 16th Jun 2015 2:19 pm
Tarrel

Scotland 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Fuji White

What a lovely story! I recently sold my Series 3 (Head over heart decision). Now I want it back! Big Cry

For a bit of nostalgia, you might enjoy this if you haven't already seen it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfEnvzHY9Es

(There's also a Part 2)

Post #267019 16th Jun 2015 6:56 pm
Landroverfan1

chalkey - I do agree about the Discovery Sport. Just not sure about it at the moment and having sat in one I'm still not sure.

Tarrel - I'd not seen that video. It's fantastic. Thanks for sharing.

Post #267044 16th Jun 2015 10:22 pm
chalkey

I hope I do end up liking the new discovery sport, because what will do when I need to change my car. Once you have had a Landrover every other car is second best. Loved the video 2013 hse auto, black, almond leather, exnon lights, factory privacy glass, exhaust finisher, rear boot spoiler, mud flaps. Body door side moulding and steps.

2007 hse (2011 facelift)

Post #267053 17th Jun 2015 12:53 am
Scientist

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Loire Blue

I agree. Once you have had a Freelander 2 nothing compares. I am on my third Freelander 2 .5 days in and I am very happy. I love my car. I did have a range rover Evoque and knew within days it wasn't for me. I traded it back for my third Freelander 2 and I am so happy and relieved. The command driving position of Landrover is fantastic.

Post #267496 20th Jun 2015 9:37 pm
j77

Scotland 

Great story and didn't get bored at all Thumbs Up

The DS takes a bit of getting used to but it's a competent landy, a few things frustrate me about it though, but that's another thread altogether.

Missing my Discovery 4 though. Did I just say that ? 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #267629 21st Jun 2015 9:23 pm
LR NUT

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e Dynamic Manual Fuji White

I'd love to take mine off road but the bodykit restricts me Rolling with laughter MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior
MY15 Xenon Headlight Conversion

MY17 RRS SVR - Estoril Blue Cirrus/Ebony 🪣💺’s

Post #267654 22nd Jun 2015 9:00 am
Landroverfan1

Thanks for all your great comments. I'm still a little sceptical about the DS but very happy to be convinced in due course.

Used the tow bar for the first time at the weekend to take garden and other rubbish to the tip. The trailer was so heavy I could not push it on my own but thanks to the rear camera, it made life very easy when reversing up to it. And the car was exceptionally stable along winding country lanes. It obviously was not a huge, heavy trailer but I was impressed none-the-less. And the torque ensured there was no lag when going uphill. The back of the FL2 had three large dustbins in the boot. By contrast (and just to be clear I do think it is a super car) the new and massive Range Rover can't fit them in due to the sloping roof.

Post #267694 22nd Jun 2015 12:14 pm
chalkey

I noticed last winter my side steps and mud flaps were caked with icey snow, here in Merseyside we don't get extremes of weather. Welsh mountains and the pennies protect us, I've thought if you live perhaps the Lakes, Scotland or some remote parts you wouldn't have them. I should take them off and go off roading. " no I'm to much of a chicken " Big Cry 2013 hse auto, black, almond leather, exnon lights, factory privacy glass, exhaust finisher, rear boot spoiler, mud flaps. Body door side moulding and steps.

2007 hse (2011 facelift)

Post #267698 22nd Jun 2015 12:26 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1