« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Advice for changing wheels / jacking
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Yanwoo

2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Galway Green
Advice for changing wheels / jacking

I’ve got myself a trolley jack (from SGS, after recommendations on here…thanks!) so am now ready to change my wheels.As this is my first time...have some questions (apologies for their basic nature...I’m a complete newbie to stuff like this)

1) For changing wheels, do I need to get axel stands as well as the jack? I understand they make sense if you’re working under the car or for an extended period, but is it overkill for a quick wheel change?

2) Is it better to jack up next to the wheel and do that four times, or jack up from a central point to do two wheels at a time? I was planning to do the former as it *seems* simpler and safer and I’m not worried about speed.

3) Does it matter which of the two listed side jack points I use (on the LR document showing jacking points)? I think I can see the points on the sill (thinnish metal strips denoted by an arrow on the plastic?), so was planning to use those.

4) If I jack up next to the wheels, do I need to use a block on the opposite wheel? I’m jacking on a level surface that’s concrete etc. Apart from blocks made for this purpose (which I don’t have), is there any common item I might have that I could use instead?

5) any other tips / precautions I should take?!

Thanks! FL2 2011 SD4 XS in Galway Green

Post #265548 2nd Jun 2015 12:30 pm
Landiroamer

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 TD4_e SE Manual Orkney Grey

I use a 2 ton trolley jack with a 500mm lift and jack the car up at the cars jacking point on the sill next to the wheel being removed and use a rubber pad on the jack saddle so it doesnt damage the the paint.
Chock the wheel both sides diagonally opposite the other side of the car.
Also you need to carefully position the jack head so it doesnt bear on the plastic sill cover as you lift and distort or damage that.
Once raised so the wheel just clears the ground I fit an 1 ton axle stand tight up under the suspension subframe just in case before the wheel is taken off, dont rely on the jack on its own.

Post #265550 2nd Jun 2015 12:45 pm
shiggsy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

There are central jacking points front and rear. I chock a wheel and jack from the central point (3 ton trolley jack), and then lower onto axle stands. This way there is half as much jacking required and its safest so why wouldn't you do it this way ? 
Hung like Einstein, smart as a horse.

Post #265553 2nd Jun 2015 1:17 pm
ReggiePerrin

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red

Personally I'd use the central jacking point and change two at a time. - only two lifts instead of four. As you won't be working under the car, axle stands are not really necessary and the lift needs to be just enough for the tyres to clear the ground. I'd only lift at the sill if unavoidable.

For any lift where you (or any part of you) will be under the raised car or where the car will be raised for any length of time then axle stands are essential.

Your supplied side lift jack is adequate for a quick wheel change without axle stands so your SGS trolley jack is certainly up to the job. For the first job, lift the car with wheels left on, go have tea & toast and then check that car is still as high you left it to satisfy yourself that the jack can be trusted for a quick wheel change.

Post #265556 2nd Jun 2015 1:22 pm
Landiroamer

So where are the central jacking points then? I couldnt really see anywhere suitable for that when I looked underneath, any photos??

Post #265577 2nd Jun 2015 4:06 pm
Yanwoo

Here's the jacking points: https://www.freel2.com/gallery/albums/user...acking.pdf FL2 2011 SD4 XS in Galway Green

Post #265583 2nd Jun 2015 4:47 pm
Yanwoo

I'm kinda confused by "With no central jacking point at the rear it is not possible to raise both sides of the vehicle at once." (page 3) when it labels what looks exactly like a central jacking point on the diagram (#3)... FL2 2011 SD4 XS in Galway Green

Post #265584 2nd Jun 2015 4:49 pm
Yanwoo

ah ok...that applies to 2WD...missed the sub heading FL2 2011 SD4 XS in Galway Green

Post #265585 2nd Jun 2015 4:51 pm
Landiroamer

Well thats handy to know I will use that in future then now instead of the sill points, it looks safer Thumbs Up
I will have to get under and have a look at the rear, never noticed anything suitable.

Post #265587 2nd Jun 2015 5:09 pm
Yanwoo

All done! Thanks for the advice. Ended up just jacking twice at the centre points and changing two at a time.

Only screw up was although I bought a torque wrench I forgot to buy the 21mm accessory... so have just tightened by judgment at the moment. Hope to fix that tomorrow. FL2 2011 SD4 XS in Galway Green

Post #266014 5th Jun 2015 11:37 am
Shaw Tarse

England 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Orkney Grey

I know I could search, but as I'm lazy Rolling Eyes do you have a link to where you bought the jack? Smile SD4 HSE Lux Orkney Grey,Full size spare tyre,Ugly kid glass.

Post #266055 5th Jun 2015 3:39 pm
Yanwoo

here! http://www.sgs-engineering.com/garage-equi...olley-jack FL2 2011 SD4 XS in Galway Green

Post #266064 5th Jun 2015 4:37 pm
fredastaire

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

SGS are based on Derby ring road with easy acess from M1 jnc 24 / 25; A50 and A38. They have a showroom which they open up if you visit. Good people , quality product ......
I bought my jack a year ago, very happy.
Kind regards from Fred.
. 2010GS Auto ex Celeb, Santorini Black, 2011 facelift , spoiler, spats, mudflaps, LED footwell lamps, Witter detach,
Other cars:-
1958 & 1959 Austin J40 Pedal Cars under restoration (I make many J40 parts)
If you have an Austin J40 or Pathfinder Pedal Car looking for a new home pls PM me.
2009 Meriva

Post #266107 5th Jun 2015 11:09 pm
Shaw Tarse

England 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Orkney Grey

Thanks both. SD4 HSE Lux Orkney Grey,Full size spare tyre,Ugly kid glass.

Post #266189 6th Jun 2015 9:29 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1