Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Bull bars and A frames
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Actually, what is the situation with A frames and bull bars these days? I thought they were banned unless you had a real need (like a beef farmer or something) 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #257298 17th Mar 2015 10:33 pm
Purplemadboy

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Firenze Red

In 2001 I ordered a 2002 freelander with stainless steel Land Rover bull bars, as far as I know jan 1st 2002 this type of bull bar was illegal , that's why the plastic type were introduced . Do it now ! Your a long time dead !!

Post #257304 17th Mar 2015 11:17 pm
LR NUT

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e Dynamic Manual Fuji White

Solid non collapsible wraparound bull bars are illegal. I have a collapsible A Bar which is perfectly legal and has been crash tested I hope this answers your questions Very Happy MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior
MY15 Xenon Headlight Conversion

MY17 RRS SVR - Estoril Blue Cirrus/Ebony 🪣💺’s

Post #257306 17th Mar 2015 11:29 pm
dorsetfreelander

Just been reading around on this, the consensus seems to be that there is an EU type approval available (don't know what it looks like) but that if your insurance co doesn't know about you fitting it you might find your insurance invalid and what's more you are more likely to be sued by a someone that you hit as you have modified the vehicle and removed the manufacturers built in "pedestrian friendly features". All I can say is that I wouldn't risk it but perhaps that's just me. Smile 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #257309 18th Mar 2015 12:16 am
LR NUT

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e Dynamic Manual Fuji White

Why is there always a selected few who have to mention "your insurance company" Thud

I think everyone realises that any accessories fitted after driving a BRAND NEW car away from a dealership in classed as a modification! Any accessories that are on the car from NEW before its been registered then the insurance companies are not bothered hence the reason they ask for the valve of a NEW car only!

My insurance have covered me for my A Bar so I dont really understand your commment "I wouldn't risk it" I hate it when people naturally assume that you have not told your insurance!

On a further note without being rude its not really anyones business! Next people will want to know if my girlfriends a squirter and if she does A Levels Laughing MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior
MY15 Xenon Headlight Conversion

MY17 RRS SVR - Estoril Blue Cirrus/Ebony 🪣💺’s

Post #257314 18th Mar 2015 5:51 am
dorsetfreelander

Sure it's none of my business but it's not really just about your insurance. I am aware that there have been civil cases brought against drivers of cars with bull bars/A frames when a cyclist has been hit. The argument is that you have removed the built in safety features of the vehicle and therefore take responsibility. Interestingly, I note that the new DS has a bonnet airbag for pedestrian safety (EU regs?) so you can see where this is all going. Smile 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #257328 18th Mar 2015 10:00 am
ronp

Scotland 

So what about bumper mounted winches, where do they come in with this 'pedestrian safety' scenario?

Confused

Post #257335 18th Mar 2015 10:53 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

The original Commission document proposed that new designs of frontal protection system, intended for fitting to a new vehicle or supplied as an after-market accessory, should be subject to tests that would effectively outlaw all bull bars; both metal and softer plastic ones. It was considered that this approach would be counterproductive since the use of the new designs of soft plastic bull bars can improve the pedestrian friendliness of many of the vehicles to which they are fitted. The revised proposal will have the effect of allowing the approval of well designed plastic units whilst still outlawing the traditional metal bull bars. We believe that the overall effect of this change is an improvement in pedestrian safety.
The original proposals have been discussed extensively within European Council Working Groups and in European Parliamentary Committees, and agreement has now been reached on a revised proposal. The latest draft would effectively outlaw aggressive systems such as rigid metal "bull bars" whilst permitting the use of compliant (non-rigid) systems that offer broadly equivalent levels of protection to the vehicle to which they are fitted (the "base vehicle"). In cases where the base vehicle is not subject to the Pedestrian Protection Directive, the fitting of a frontal protection system that satisfies the proposed requirements may improve the level of head protection offered.8
Ultimately, this was adopted as Directive 2005/66/EC in October 2005. The Directive should be read in the broader context of the ‘framework directive’, Directive 2003/102/EC relating to the protection of pedestrians and other vulnerable road users. At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #257349 18th Mar 2015 1:49 pm
ad210358

England 

LR NUT wrote:
Solid non collapsible wraparound bull bars are illegal. I have a collapsible A Bar which is perfectly legal and has been crash tested I hope this answers your questions Very Happy

Nuts, don't rise to it, tell them they are not Bull Bars, we all know it's a Heated Towel Rail Wink

Oh, and your girl friend, is she Whistle p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #257363 18th Mar 2015 6:27 pm
Jonathan26

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Caspian Blue

As a caravan-tower, for once, I can't agree more with CG - I'm stunned !

Do yellow-hashed car park boxes not apply to white FL2's ??!!! Shocked FL2 2007 57 GS
D2 2005 Td5 - gone and not missed
FL1 2005 Td4 - gone and missed

Post #257386 18th Mar 2015 8:36 pm
Aero_383

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Ipanema Sand

Prefer these to bars. I like to make sure Laughing

Click image to enlarge

Post #257390 18th Mar 2015 9:14 pm
pcheaven

United Kingdom 

My sort of bar .....

Post #257391 18th Mar 2015 9:19 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Jonathan26 wrote:
As a caravan-tower, for once, I can't agree more with CG - I'm stunned !

Do yellow-hashed car park boxes not apply to white FL2's ??!!! Shocked

stage one of my conversion therapy,, next set up a monthly direct debit to me and cancel the one for your caravan At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #257393 18th Mar 2015 9:35 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1