Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > What did you do in your FL2 today?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 23 of 133 <123 ... 222324 ... 131132133>
Print this entire topic · 
outnabout2005

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Barolo Black

FL2 wouldn't start last week so ftted new battery and second earth strap today. Added some decent floor mats, new gear shift knob and replaced a bonnet strut. Chilly but satisfying. Hoping it stays cold in the morning to check starting.

Cut the second earth strap into battery case and wrapped/glued it in with this product which I'd never heard of before www.sugru.com
I'm missing a LH air vent knob ,so going to try and sculpt a replacement out of the silver version of the above product.

Spent much time this evening browsing the forums. Discovered "start without clutch" technique as a possible aid to starting. Also that there is supposed to be a delay when starter is pressed when cold. Mine does not delay so maybe ECU reprogram needed. Or if it doesn't start in the morning with new batt and earth, then it could be new glow plug time.

Also need to do isolated heated windscreen check in the morning as I believe its not working. There is voltage at LH screen connector tape at back of battery, so its not the LH fuse at least. Will know more in the morning when I check both sides.

Nice to be tinkering again, it's been a while. And the advice/comments in thses forums is invaluable. As a newbie, I'm very grateful to all posters Very Happy '57 FL2 Td4 HSE, 135k, purch Nov '14
So far: Osram nightbreakers, new mats, gear shift knob, battery, 2nd earth strap, bonnet strut, new plates, Bluefin ECU remap
To Do: Heated screen fault, possible glo-plug fault, brakes and discs, alloy refurb, after market fixed sat nav

Post #251837 5th Feb 2015 1:12 am
RichP

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

Hi outnabout2005 interesting to read your post, I have the 2007 HSE which I purchased last year and love the car, it is a fantastic drive - just waiting for some snow to arrive!
Will be interesting to see how the air vent knob goes as I am missing the centre two, have been meaning to phone round some breakers yard but not round to it yet Rolling Eyes . Will you be making a mould?
I've not had a delay at cold starting at -3deg, nor have I seen a glow plug light, I can see one on the instrument panel though, it just hasn't come on yet. I think the glow plugs must be ok on mine, need to check service history to see if they were replaced. Were you having issues to put the additional earth straps on? I had to replace the battery on mine when I bought it and have had no issues to date.
What lights did you have, I have the xenon which I think are great but would be interested to know if yours are an improvement?
I would change all the fluids and filters if I were you, I have done mine and I don't think the oil filter has ever been changed, even though it has FDSH. The Haldex fluid was low on mine, this the diff and transfer box fluids were all dark in colour so needed changing in my opinion. Mine had done 70k with a lady owner for a large part of that so I think it hasn't been worked too hard. I have a thread that needs updating with photos, going to set some time aside at the weekend to do it.
Keep us up to date.
Thumbs Up

Post #251840 5th Feb 2015 6:04 am
pcheaven

United Kingdom 

took kids to school - how typical of a 4x4.

Sitting in the drive awaiting todays delivery of:

2 x Durite CREE LED Light bars (6x10w)
1 x Delkin 64GB Micro SD card for Blackvue ( 2nd attempt - the 64gb Sandisk one I purchased last week is crap.) 

Post #251860 5th Feb 2015 10:05 am
ReggiePerrin

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red

Yesterday...
New windscreen fitted - Not OEM but heated screen mesh is less conspicuous and auto wipe / lights / screen heat all work.

Today...
Fitted new throttle body (easy job) & new front/rear wipers (even easier Very Happy). Parts courtesy of Dan at Duckworths.

Last thing before MOT is to get the leaky injector fixed and hopefully, that is it for a while.

Post #251973 5th Feb 2015 8:55 pm
Chris B

United Kingdom 

DelaY on cold start is waht is supposed to happen. It's the glow plug programme is timing the starter moor engagement. Mine works fine over two winters. Gone... 2013 XS TD4 Manual Firenze Red
Gone... 2008 (09MY) XS Td4 Manual Stornaway Grey
Prior... 2003 G4 Discovery 2, 1998 Disco 1 and 1997 Disco 1 Company car before that
Also gone in Nov'13, after 7.5 yrs, to new owners with time for more TLC - 1980 Series III 88
Current 2015 Discovery Sport HSE 2.0

Post #251990 5th Feb 2015 10:03 pm
taztastic

England 

Pc heaven, what's wrong with the SDCard, I swear by Sandisk cards in my cameras.
Have you tried the SD formatter that blackvue recommend?

Post #251991 5th Feb 2015 10:17 pm
ad210358

England 

As above, only ever by Sandisk, but must must be from a reputable source.

Post #252006 5th Feb 2015 11:09 pm
gravon 42

United Kingdom 2013 LR2 TD4 Dynamic Manual Santorini Black

Just about to go out and put my private plates on new car! Thumbs Up 2013 Dynamic Santorini black
2011 XS Lago grey
2007 HLS Stornoway grey
sometimes towing an Elldis AVANTE 574.

Post #252181 7th Feb 2015 2:19 pm
gravon 42

Cleaned it today, for the first time! Thumbs Up

https://www.freel2.com/gallery/albums/user...CF3114.JPG

Also made some covers for centre console..........don't like items being on show!

https://www.freel2.com/gallery/albums/user...CF3115.JPG 2013 Dynamic Santorini black
2011 XS Lago grey
2007 HLS Stornoway grey

Post #252288 8th Feb 2015 4:45 pm
outnabout2005

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Barolo Black

RichP wrote:
Hi outnabout2005 interesting to read your post, I have the 2007 HSE which I purchased last year and love the car, it is a fantastic drive - just waiting for some snow to arrive!
Will be interesting to see how the air vent knob goes as I am missing the centre two, have been meaning to phone round some breakers yard but not round to it yet Rolling Eyes . Will you be making a mould?

Hi there,
stipped off parts of the dash to check out the vents. Left one has no knob and busted mechanism and centre right one has no elevation control 'cos it's been glued. New side vents from LR are circa £20 and centre vents are circa £88. Why? God knows. Plan is to replace left vent and live with centre vent. (When the sugru arrived, the colour was a poor match for the knob and didnt really want to get into paintiing it.)

RichP wrote:
I've not had a delay at cold starting at -3deg, nor have I seen a glow plug light, I can see one on the instrument panel though, it just hasn't come on yet. I think the glow plugs must be ok on mine, need to check service history to see if they were replaced. Were you having issues to put the additional earth straps on? I had to replace the battery on mine when I bought it and have had no issues to date.

It was a one-off event at 5 in the morning at -6C where I needed to be on the road. I tried a jump start unit and despite it turning over, it wouldnt fire. After a while, both battery and jump unit were getting tired, an HDC fault message appeared. I gave up an took the wife's car!! Research here showed some changes would be good, so I swapped out the original LR 8yo battery for a new Bosch replacement and added a second earth strap.
There hasn't ever been an illuminated glow plug light nor a delay when the start switch is pressed, irrespective of how cold. My understanding is there should be a delay and some have said ECU needs remapping or a software upgrade to acheive this. I will have it looked into when it's next in at the local garage. At least now it seems to start, tested down to -5C.

RichP wrote:
What lights did you have, I have the xenon which I think are great but would be interested to know if yours are an improvement?

The lights were just the usual H7's and the new ones are whiter, but I wouldn't say a massive improvement. They do the job nicely and that's what counts.

RichP wrote:
I would change all the fluids and filters if I were you, I have done mine and I don't think the oil filter has ever been changed, even though it has FDSH. The Haldex fluid was low on mine, this the diff and transfer box fluids were all dark in colour so needed changing in my opinion. Mine had done 70k with a lady owner for a large part of that so I think it hasn't been worked too hard. I have a thread that needs updating with photos, going to set some time aside at the weekend to do it.

My brother-in-law is a long time LR user and his advice re the fluids and filters was the same as yours. I had the 4 oils and the oil/pollen/air done at the last service.

It's done 134,000k now and I really like it as a first LR. Just done Scotland and back this weekend and only snag was yellow engine light coming on on the way home. I got to grips with the LR Satnav as well and although the menu is a bit clunky, I do like some of the data it displays. On balance though, I still think I'll fit my own Satnav in lieu, just havent decide which yet.

Still slightly concerned about air quality/smells in the cabin, more work needed here I think to properly assess it.
Very Happy Very Happy '57 FL2 Td4 HSE, 135k, purch Nov '14
So far: Osram nightbreakers, new mats, gear shift knob, battery, 2nd earth strap, bonnet strut, new plates, Bluefin ECU remap
To Do: Heated screen fault, possible glo-plug fault, brakes and discs, alloy refurb, after market fixed sat nav

Post #252567 10th Feb 2015 1:08 pm
gravon 42

Just had the windows tinted! Great job. Thumbs Up 2013 Dynamic Santorini black
2011 XS Lago grey
2007 HLS Stornoway grey

Post #252575 10th Feb 2015 1:59 pm
gravon 42

No one used their cars lately ?????? Whistle 2013 Dynamic Santorini black
2011 XS Lago grey
2007 HLS Stornoway grey

Post #252729 11th Feb 2015 9:38 pm
taztastic

England 

Drove to Kirby Stephen and back, the journey back was awful, either my headlights are way out of alignment or faulty or my eyes are bad Laughing
Will get the dealer to have a look soon, 2k miles to next service.

Pleasant run otherwise, nice and sedate enjoying the sound system to its full potential with Beyoncé and Ella Henderson stroking my ears. Whistle

Post #252736 11th Feb 2015 9:45 pm
gravon 42

Are they Osram Night breakers??? Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

While I'm here Taz,what makes a TD4 into an SD4? Cannot find topic on it, although it must have been asked 2013 Dynamic Santorini black
2011 XS Lago grey
2007 HLS Stornoway grey

Last edited by gravon 42 on 11th Feb 2015 9:58 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #252741 11th Feb 2015 9:55 pm
taztastic

England 

No there Censored HID Evil or Very Mad

S Laughing

Post #252744 11th Feb 2015 9:57 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 23 of 133 <123 ... 222324 ... 131132133>