Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > So where should FL2 owners look now?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 7 1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
Nick Jan

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey
So where should FL2 owners look now?

After reading lots of freel2.com members comments on viewing and driving the DS, many seem disappointed and a tad confused by the car (Evoke estate) on offer. Like many others I'm sure it will please many people once they upgrade the engines to the Ingenium range of engines we had all been promised for a while. That just leaves the rest of us who have ageing but well-loved FL2s we want to replace with another premium but reasonably priced functional vehicle, as was the the very popular FL2. It must include a command driving position and stadium rear seating, 4x4, and a responsive and efficient engine, as well as a proper range of models (again as did the FL2 on its launch in 2006).

So where should confused & disappointed FL2 owners look now, while we wait to see if LR have some surprise announcements that will answer our needs. Please add your constructive suggestions here (no need for others to keep promoting the DS they apparently like here. We get that already!)

I must admit that right now I'm thinking the only LR replacement for me may be a second-hand RRS or in due course a Disco 5. As for other makes, I'm genuinely at a loss! Life is not a dress rehearsal!

Last edited by Nick Jan on 11th Feb 2015 11:43 am. Edited 2 times in total

Post #252518 10th Feb 2015 12:56 am
pcheaven

United Kingdom 

latest offerings from Jeep, or the BMW x3 are all good cars..... 

Post #252519 10th Feb 2015 12:58 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

I was considering a Defender, seriously, even the other half was extremely keen, but garage height was critical, I had trouble explaining the technicalities of a ruler! Only 15mm spare with the Freelander, & that is stretching it! Street parking is diabolical at best in my area. As much as I liked the Defender, rebuilding the garage in a block of units was going to be just a bit too challenging, even being on the Committee for the last few decades!

Maybe a new Defender is being dumbed down enough for us Freelander connoisseurs. This could possibly fill the Freelander critical gaping hole.

The only problem then, & I have a lot of sympathy, is where do the X Defender aficionados go? Jeep? Dare I say Toyota Tundra! Poor sods! My poor heart bleeds for them! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #252520 10th Feb 2015 2:01 am
DennisV

United Kingdom 

If the new DS doesn’t quite hit the spot and you are thinking of holding on for the new L663 Defender ... According to my googling you are in for a long long wait for 2019 model year, and it's not going to be made in the UK!

It's on the same aluminium platform as the luxury vehicles so not expected to be inexpensive either?

Post #252522 10th Feb 2015 2:53 am
DennisV

United Kingdom 

Like Lightwater, I've been considering a current Defender (with some reservations about long distance driving and lack of safety kit). The price for a current Station Wagon will probably be far lower than the 2019 Defender replacement, and depreciation is about as good as it gets as we approach the end of UK production.

But much as I'd like one it couldn't be the only vehicle, and I too would have to let the tyres down to get it in the garage!

Post #252523 10th Feb 2015 3:14 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

DennisV wrote:
.....and I too would have to let the tyres down to get it in the garage!

Great minds think alike!

Other options:
Taking a row of bricks out for higher arch bar. Council approval required.

Machining down driveway. Not a good look.

Lowering Defender suspension! Pretty sad result! (I had a Peugeot with rear air suspension & onboard pump, it worked a treat, but never thought of using it for reducing height!)

As it is I have bashed & bent the garage door to gain a bit of height. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #252524 10th Feb 2015 4:03 am
DennisV

United Kingdom 

Maybe 6 inch deep 12 inch wide grooves in the floor at track width leading into the garage that could be covered with a grating when not needed (Mud and Ruts setting on Terrain response)😄

Post #252525 10th Feb 2015 4:26 am
RichP

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

If I were in the position where I was buying a newer car I would plump for a newer FL2, if it ticks all the boxes and you love the car, which we all seem to do on here, why not buy a nearly new FL2? I have never really understood buying brand new cars as they depreciate so much, but price always factors into the equation higher than age for me. There are some mint cars out there if you are prepared to take a while looking, which would probably take less time than trying to work out which other make/model to go for! This would also keep residual values high due to increase in demand. Just my opinion given as I know some of us have fairly early FL2s.

Post #252527 10th Feb 2015 7:29 am
Vince

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Rimini Red

Hmm - i think to be honest my choices in 4 years are (dependent on DS price at the time):

-Subaru Forester
-Evoque
-Shogun or the PHEV

There was another but I've forgotten what so mustn't be very good!

Post #252530 10th Feb 2015 8:40 am
Lurcher

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Orkney Grey

I was fortunate to be able to buy a new one coming up to a year ago , only do 8000 mls per year so by the time its 3yr old it will have only covered 24K roughly .
It ticks the boxes for us , this is our 6th Freelander since buying a new FL1 in 2001 , there are just 2 of us , I am retired and wife will be next year but the rear seating space is ideal for our 2 grandchildren .
Certainly got us out of trouble during 2 very bad winters here a few yrs ago , not sure what we would look to change for in 2/3 yrs and would hope LR will offer something similar to what we already have .
Cost will be a factor then due to reduced income ( I paid more than my house for my current FL2 , dad would turn in his grave if he knew Very Happy ) .
I admit to being taken with the recent ad for the Jeep Renegade on tv but will consider all options when the time comes , but at the moment well pleased with current vehicle .

Post #252532 10th Feb 2015 8:48 am
D-Man

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Anyone have any views on Ford Kuga? 2011 SD4 HSE Auto
(Previously 2007 TD4 XS Manual)

Post #252536 10th Feb 2015 9:04 am
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

As mentioned above the new Jeep Cherokee ticks a lot of boxes and comes with TR.

VW will be launching an all new larger chunkier Tiguan sometime later this year so that may be of interest.

Rather than the Kuga the Mazda CX5 gets a good write up.

Sadly it would appear that for the vast majority of FL2.com members the new DS is either to expensive or not liked.

It will sell in high numbers and will be a regular feature on the school run with Harriet and Jules sitting in the back. MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #252539 10th Feb 2015 9:17 am
Lurcher

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Orkney Grey

Had a Kuga for 2 yrs in between FL1 & 2 , drives very well , comfortable, 37mpg over 14000 mls , just not as capable as FL2 in snow/off road so we returned to LR , found the Ford dealer very good , didn't charge for putting the winter tyres on ( LR wanted £75 ) .

Post #252541 10th Feb 2015 9:23 am
LR WILD

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 Sport Auto Fuji White

Always had lr products and will stick with the brand. I would have a defender tomorrow but my wife won't drive one. She doesn't get the elbow thing and the clutch is too heavy for her!

If the new defender is too far down the line it would have to be a d4 for me.

Post #252544 10th Feb 2015 9:31 am
Purplemadboy

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Firenze Red

I like the look of the Ford Edge , good spec too. Do it now ! Your a long time dead !!

Post #252546 10th Feb 2015 9:45 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 7 1234567>