« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > LED - High level brake light
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
taztastic

England 
LED - High level brake light

I have been pondering this for some time, the high level brake light was brought in as a safety feature, allowing vehicles further back to see your brake lights.
Many manufacturers made this light an LED type which has a faster response time, instant on if you like, the difference between LED and a traditional filament lamp can mean many meters of road covered during the time it takes to reach full brightness.

Land Rover with the Freelander seem to have the concept back to front, LED brake lights with a lethargic CHMSL (Centre High Mounted Stop Lamp). So I set about and experimented with various LED lights.

The standard off the shelf LED replacement type were not very good at all, the light pattern didn't fit the aperture and a very poor result was obtained, then, last week I discovered these on fleabay and though, hmmm give them a go.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151304493440?_tr...EBIDX%3AIT

They arrived this morning and out of the box things looked promising, so I set about modding.

First of all remove the trim from the inside of the tailgate, a good tug is all it needs and it reveals some holes, through these you will see a white clip at either end of the lamp housing, press these and the light will pop out, lower the tailgate and remove the lamp and disconnect the washer hose.

Click image to enlarge

As you can see, the new LED bar is a very good match for the lamp housing, 17cms is the one I have purchased.

Click image to enlarge

You need to cut the housing as shown below to get the bar to fit, I had bought a cheap red lamp housing to 'play' with. The red line shows where you can cut without affecting the integrity of the lamp and not affect its re-fitiing. Very easy with a craft knife or better still one of those modelling dremel things. You also need to pop out the semi circular lens prism, it simply un clips and will come out of the hole you have made.

Click image to enlarge

A quick test on the bench to see how the light looked, I found a better result was to position the LED bar away from the prism and so I glued the bar into place about 10mm back from the prism. As shown below a good beam pattern is seen, I have fitted this to the red lamp housing for the moment as it is experimental, I have another LED which I will fit to the clear lens, the LED I have bought is red light.

Click image to enlarge

Fitted to the car and looking good, response time is instant and I will see this evening how bright it really is, it is certainly better than the standard filament lamp, it is difficult with a photo to show how much better it is.

Click image to enlarge

Less than an hour to do, watch polarity etc and its a straightforward enough upgrade for those so inclined.

Paul

Post #234665 13th Sep 2014 11:54 am
LR NUT

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e Dynamic Manual Fuji White

Really nice mod Paul Wink is it the law to have a high level brake light or just a norm from manufacturers Question MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior
MY15 Xenon Headlight Conversion

MY17 RRS SVR - Estoril Blue Cirrus/Ebony 🪣💺’s

Post #234757 14th Sep 2014 8:07 am
taztastic

England 

It isn't a legal requirement.
If it is faulty it would fail the MOT, however, if it is disconnected from the circuit and not working then it wouldn't be an MOT fail Confused

The LED I have fitted lights as fast as the other brake lights, in daylight there seems to be little difference, at night it does appear to be brighter, I would like to put it side by side with the standard light and see if there is a difference from say 50 metres away.

Post #234758 14th Sep 2014 8:55 am
ebygum32

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Taz did you buy a white one or a red one, wouldn't think it matters as it is a red lenses but want to make sure. Swmbos top light doesn't work so was going to check if it was connected but found you post and thought mmm might give that a go.

Chris

Post #241148 15th Nov 2014 9:51 am
taztastic

England 

I did it with both, I bought a cheaper red one to experiment with and then I could do the same to the White one.
I have the red one fitted on the car as with my red car it looks better, you can't see it.
If you buy those led strips there are two versions, the White LED is brighter but will obviously need a red lens, the red LED although not as bright is still very good and works with both.
A word of caution, the series resistor has been covered in heat shrink, bad idea, it gets way too hot, I cut off the heat shrink to allow it to cool sufficiently, obviously keep in mind the leads to the resistor are 'live' don't let them short of anywhere.

Looks good though and worth the effort, it's easy enough Thumbs Up

Post #241151 15th Nov 2014 10:03 am
ebygum32

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Thanks for that, might look at a couple of different sellers uk based, reading some of the feed back over the past week some have burnt out or started to smoke/set on fire, don't think swmbo will be happy with that Rolling with laughter maybe to do with the heat shrink on the resistor but will definitely do the mod and just a heads up for you re the possibility of catching fire. Thumbs Up

Post #241155 15th Nov 2014 10:45 am
taztastic

England 

The brake light on fire will get you noticed Laughing

Post #241158 15th Nov 2014 11:54 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1