Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Best replacement for a Freelander?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
big-al-cove

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Fuji White

I replaced mine with a toyota hilux invincible 3ltr auto Thumbs Up 1995 P38 now dead
2012 FL2 GS Fuji White
winter pack
arm rest pack

Post #235964 25th Sep 2014 8:37 pm
Legoman

United Kingdom 

The other thing is when an owner has made a jump to another make, your unlikely to get them back or if you do if will be several cars later.

Post #235987 26th Sep 2014 8:06 am
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

In my opinion (and its only my opinion so don't shoot me down) I think LR have made an error in their marketting, the DS seems to be more of a replacement to the Disco than the FL2 and thus there is now a huge void in their model range. I have always believed the Ewok should have been a replacement to the FL2 as it offered both the body styles of the original FL1 and in a similar size with teh 3 and 5 door options. LR desperately need a small 4x4 similar to the FL2 in their range and until they do I think a lot of potential owners will be going down the Q5, X3, Yeti, RAV4, XC60 route.

Perhaps the FL2 should have carried on for another year or so?

Post #236009 26th Sep 2014 12:09 pm
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

Perversely it could be that FL2 residuals will hold up due to the relative high cost of the DS. I can't see a high proportion of existing owners trading up but can envisage a high proportion of Disco 4 owners going for the DS and saving a bit of money. MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #236018 26th Sep 2014 2:29 pm
Legoman

United Kingdom 

You could argue that about residuls, but I think your wrong.

My wife wouldn't have an outgoing model of any make, even if they were giving it away.

She could have had an outgoing FL2 SE for the same sort of cash as the BMW, but it simply wasn't an option for her. I tend to agree, if the dealers knock £4k off the price to get rid of them, it's for a reason. The dealer tried to say that with £4k off, she could take the inevitable drop in prices of up to £4k, so even he was admitting there would be a lessening of values.

Dont get me wrong, if you love the FL or need to have a LR as a car, then that's fine, but you have to accept that at a cost.

I think most recent owners are hoping against hope they haven't wasted their money. Remember the FL1's? They were giving them away and at the end with zero per cent finance. They lost their value considerably overnight.

Post #236019 26th Sep 2014 3:07 pm
ad210358

England 

Would have expected the one series to fall in value, it wasn't the best vehicle LR made where as the Freelander 2 is LR's most reliable vehicle.

Post #236027 26th Sep 2014 5:00 pm
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

"Freelander 2 is LR's most reliable vehicle."

Mine wasn't....... Whistle Now - 2017 BMW X3 M Sport Carbon Black
Gone - 2014 BMW X3 M Sport Space Grey, faultless!
Gone - 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Bali Blue with xenons
Gone - 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Rimini Red with bodykit

Post #236028 26th Sep 2014 5:07 pm
taztastic

England 

....and AD swapped his for a Disco Confused

I swapped the Silver GS for this HSE LUX, first time I have stayed loyal to a brand consecutively, with the mileage I will put on it and the fact it is used for business makes my circumstances a little different, admittedly.
However, when the time comes, probably in around two years when the warranty on this one runs out, I will seriously consider the Disco Sport, at that time I would even consider a Sport with the SD4 as the price of that will be lower with the advent of the new engine, who knows, I will wait and see.

Post #236032 26th Sep 2014 5:28 pm
ad210358

England 

And you wanted the RRS Whistle
Only swapped asi had an itch to scratch, (like your RRS) stayed with the brand, will be in a Discovery Sport at some point.

Post #236038 26th Sep 2014 5:40 pm
taztastic

England 

...but saw the light, or was it stars Whistle

Discovery Sport certainly on the radar Thumbs Up

Post #236041 26th Sep 2014 6:06 pm
Legoman

United Kingdom 

Disco Sport as a main car replacement perhaps, if they get the engines sorted out. It was a bad decision to release a new car with an old engine. Everyone knows if you wait another year, a more refined Eco engine is coming out.

My main car a D4 was £50k, that is a lot of money. I will keep it for another year or two until the manufacturers warranty runs out, then change. In theory I should be able to get a straight swap for a DS.

The Disco is an expensive car to run, be it tax, servicing, diesel or anything else. Yes, I like it, but not at any cost. If I get used to the wife's BMW and like it, then maybe I will move over to that, who knows.

The fact of the matter is LR have done nothing to secure my customer loyalty. Their warranties are woefully short, their initial costs and servicing pricey to say the least and their customer service lousy. Add to that a pitiful generic model line up at a high cost and really, you can't be blamed by giving the competition a try.

Post #236043 26th Sep 2014 6:46 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123