Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > My Freelander 2 > bumping a parked car - what would you have done?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
SamYPKP

2011 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Fuji White
bumping a parked car - what would you have done?

Last week the wife was dropping of a little one at nursery and reversed into a parked car. It was on a quiet residential road with no one around. Now normally at this stage, the decent thing to do would be to try to find the owner of the car and/or leave a note.

However, my wife being a bit of a wimp (I have to be careful about the choice of words I use in case she ever finds this post!), after waiting for a while and not being able to get hold of me by phone decides to drive off and spends the half an hour in catatonic state in a nearby car park while waiting for me to call her back.

When I do, I tell her to go back and leave a note on the car. She has no pen and paper so I tell her to go get some, by the time she gets back, the car has gone. Even worse, she didn't make a note of the cars registration or even its make and model.

So I rush home from work because at this point she is in a bit of a state worrying about everything, drive round to where the car was and knock on a few doors, leaving my details at the house where the car was parked directly outside of. Then drive down to local police station and file an accident report, they advised to contact our insurance company to let them know, which we also did. We also drove round the area 5 times over the course of the afternoon to see if we could find the car again, but no luck.

Given the number of dings we collected on our cars over the years with no notes left - I'm guessing there are a lot of drivers out there who would have just driven off, but that could have been both illegal and just plain wrong.

So far no word from the Police, or the owner of the other car.

Damage to our FL2 was minor, with one of the parking sensors pushed in slightly and a small scratch on the bumper which was luckily near the bottom, so after touching up with some paint is not noticeable. However, I know from previous experience of a similar coming together with a X5 that the FL2 bumper generally come off much better in these situations, so it would be nice to be able to help the owner of the other car put right any damage. Just like it would have been nice to have had the owners of other cars who put dings and scrapes in my cars over the years to fess up and contribute.

Post #229647 23rd Jul 2014 2:44 pm
Graham t

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

Given the circumstances, I think you did all you could. How long would your wife be expected to wait for the driver to return? Say the driver was away on holiday for 2 weeks! Granted she could have left a note at the time of the bump but it's easy to panic. My guess is that said driver will not notice any damage for a few days & then wonder where it might have happened - it's just a factor of driving on our overcrowded roads! I'll be honest & say that, a couple of years ago, I bumped a parked vehicle in a hotal car park. Damage was slight & I considered driving off but then noticed the CCTV cameras! Whistle From a time when dinosaurs weren't just confined to zoos!

Post #229648 23rd Jul 2014 3:09 pm
SamYPKP

Also interestingly, since reporting the accident to the police and insurance company. I've had three calls from various 'claims management' companies.

I 'politely' told two of them where to go, but played along with the last one who just called, and the gist of the conversation was.

"was it a non fault accident?"
"no, we were at fault, and the other car was parked and empty"
"oh... um... okay.. was there anyone else in your car"
"yes, my three year old daughter"
"oh... um... okay.. we can help you claim for her injuries against your insurance"

The mind boggles!

Post #229649 23rd Jul 2014 3:31 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Mrs G once bumped a van outside her work and drove off. I told her off she claimed it didnt damage the van just our car. 2 weeks later the police came to see her. the vans owner had seen the incident from a nearby window.
The van was indeed quite badly dented.
Luckily the police officer was from Middlesbrough police and didnt appreciate been sent on an errand for Leeds police so let her off after purposely not seeing the damage on our car.
I suggested he take Mrs G to the cells for a few days to teach her a lesson but he wouldn't despite an attempted 」50 bribe Laughing At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #229650 23rd Jul 2014 3:49 pm
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Well done Sam, very public spirited of you! Thumbs Up I only hope I and others can be so good.

Re the "claims managers", it would be interesting to know what Police employee or insurance clerk is getting commissions from these sharks. Mad 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #229651 23rd Jul 2014 3:55 pm
EYorkshire

I would have followed it up with posters throughout the village/town then a full page advert in the daily's and possibly a 2 minute slot on TV. Whistle

Seriously, although Mrs Sam failed miserably Sad you did all you could and a lot more than most Thumbs Up

Have you divorced her yet Question and don't let her on here to reply Sheep

Post #229652 23rd Jul 2014 4:33 pm
Harrim51

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Orkney Grey

Loving the fact that "one of the parking sensors pushed in" Rolling with laughter

Post #229656 23rd Jul 2014 5:06 pm
Donnus

Italy 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Santorini Black

Laughing
This is Italy ... People here regularly bump, scratch and dent your car !
It adds character ! Laughing

Post #229659 23rd Jul 2014 5:56 pm
SamYPKP

Pretty sure it would have been the insurance company that passed my number to the ambulance chasers - the police report was all hand written and I would be suprised if it went further than a filing cabinet somewhere. What I dont understand is why an insurance company would do that since it could only result in them paying out more if I had taken the bait.

Harrim51 Laughing hadnt realised the irony in my original post!

Post #229669 23rd Jul 2014 8:42 pm
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Harrim51 wrote:
Loving the fact that "one of the parking sensors pushed in" Rolling with laughter

Been there, done that: Big Cry

10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #229671 23rd Jul 2014 8:58 pm
colinsb

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Indus Silver

Mine currently looks like this

Click image to enlarge

The guilty party looks like this

Click image to enlarge

Post #229674 23rd Jul 2014 9:35 pm
realspeed

United Kingdom 

How come those insurance companies got any details? surely the police come under the data protection act the same as anyone else? Maybe it is ok for them to break the law but no one else. Ex 2010 Freelander2 GS-e Diesel manual Silver owner

Post #229681 23rd Jul 2014 11:50 pm
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

I had one ring me when a bus pulled out on me in my first FL2, bus company rang me directly within one hour to apologise and pay for any damage without going through insurance. Even though I never told my insurance about the incident I still had a claims firm on to me the next day offering injury claim (only damage was a broken wing mirror on my car!!)

Had to give the Beemer a full inspection yesterday evening, was visiting Ironbridge early evening and the carpark was near empty, I decided to park alongside a hedge so only one side of the car was exposed. Despite there being only about 15 cars randomly spread around a carpark with around 100 bays some numpty decided to park next to me and had swung in at a angle so that there was about 2 inches gap at the closest point and no more than a foot at the furthest point. I photographed the cars position before pulling mine out to inspect it - I felt like loosing its tyres down but missus told me not to! Now - 2017 BMW X3 M Sport Carbon Black
Gone - 2014 BMW X3 M Sport Space Grey, faultless!
Gone - 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Bali Blue with xenons
Gone - 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Rimini Red with bodykit

Post #229699 24th Jul 2014 11:20 am
DAC364

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Orkney Grey

The police don't release details of collisions to insurers other than to interested parties. However all insurance companies share information with each other and claims handling companies. The moment you tell your insurance company, potentially the entire industry knows. They make money out of sharing work on claims. Td4 XS manual, Orkney Grey, MY2014

Post #229701 24th Jul 2014 11:52 am
Badger1970

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

DAC364 wrote:
The police don't release details of collisions to insurers other than to interested parties

I beg to differ. In 2011, some 3 years ago one morning in Leamington, my parked car was keyed. I walked straight into Leamington nick to report it, and was given the usual crime number. I gave them my works mobile number as a contact as opposed to my private one, and got on with my day. Before I had even reported it to my insurer, I received a call on my Works number less than 5 hours later from a 'Claim Management Company' asking about my uninsured losses etc etc from my recent accident (I haven't had one in 20+ years until this March). This number had only been given to Warwickshire Police THAT MORNING! So I am afraid that I disagree with that statement, given my personal experience. They could ONLY have got that number from Warwickshire Police. NO-ONE ELSE HAD IT! Foraging near Gaydon....
覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
MY13 HSE Lux SD4, Baltic Blue - current, 30,000> miles without fault
MY12 HSE 2.2 SD4, Sumatra Black - gone after 10 months/43,000 fault-free miles

Post #229705 24th Jul 2014 12:39 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>