Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Developing faults left, right and centre - recommendations?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ChrisSoutham

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Zermatt Silver
Developing faults left, right and centre - recommendations?

Hi guys,
My 58 plate FL2 is still running well but I've noticed a few unsettling noises from the engine bay which make me think there's something up with the DMF or clutch. It's quite easy to stall and at bite point there's an odd rubble. Having said that there's no other noises or smell so I'm on the side of the DMF rather than the clutch.

Anyway, took it into a local ATS for a diagnostics check so they can run the codes as I have an airbag warning light on the dash. Turns out there were a lot of codes, including rear diff lock, ABS, door locking, 4x4 electronics, alarm as well as two warnings about the airbags but nothing engine related.

Now when I bought the FL2 I took out an extended warranty with Motor Parks (was bought from Swindon Motor Parks) and to get anything done I need to take it to them in Swindon to get a diagnosis first.

Onto my question, I'm keen to remove any codes that have possibly been left behind and not been reset previously and having searched I'm not sure any of the OBD wifi interfaces can do anything but show/delete engine codes.
Can anyone recommend a reader tool that will reset all the codes?

I'm particularly skint at the moment and don't want to pay a main dealer to do it, or take it for warranty work and end up with a bill for work that didn't need doing because the codes hadn't been reset. 2008 FL2 TD4 XS Zermatt Silver, Manual
2010 Jaguar XF

Post #225207 21st May 2014 2:27 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

I use the Hawkeye hand held diagnostic, not cheap at £300, but it does talk to the different ecu's and allow you to reset the fault codes.

As a one off probably too expensive, but if you are going to do your own maintenance then worthwhile.

My local Indie uses autologic diagnostics, this can read more than the hawkeye - had a parking sensor fault, this was not covered by my unit, but thiers told me I had faults oon both the front and rear wiring looms. Then again they paid several thousand pounds fro thier unit Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #225820 29th May 2014 1:15 pm
ChrisSoutham

Thanks Andy, I got a local garage to reset the diagnostics and it came back with just the airbag and passenger door double locking.
It's going into the warranty approved garage next week for a check up and I'll go from there. 2008 FL2 TD4 XS Zermatt Silver, Manual
2010 Jaguar XF

Post #225821 29th May 2014 1:19 pm
ChrisSoutham

So it was the flywheel, the cambelt, some wiring under the seats for the airbag light and the passenger door not unlocking.

A word of caution, the warranty company just wriggled out of the flywheel because I had fitted the Evoque 20" rims. Perhaps daft on my part but apparently they cause more strain on the flywheel and therefore it's not covered.

Lesson learnt... the hard way. Censored 2008 FL2 TD4 XS Zermatt Silver, Manual
2010 Jaguar XF

Post #226422 5th Jun 2014 1:14 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

"A word of caution, the warranty company just wriggled out of the flywheel because I had fitted the Evoque 20" rims. Perhaps daft on my part but apparently they cause more strain on the flywheel and therefore it's not covered. "

What absolute b Censored ks ! who sold the insurance policy for the warranty ! it must of been miss-sold then !

all this carp needs challenging ! dualmass flywheels are inherently bad at Failing and has nothing to do with wheel size. Jaguar x-type sport gone
Jaguar x-type 2.2d sport one of my best cars ever sadly gone
Freelander 2 GS auto 2008 most unreliable ever ! gladly gone
Freelander 2 GS manual 2013 only time will tell !

Post #226427 5th Jun 2014 1:48 pm
ChrisSoutham

Yep I'm going to challenge it, especially since the service place are doing it half price (warranty rates) so it'll cost them half what it would have cost if I'd gone to a VAT registered garage and got it done without them checking the vehicle.

I can understand if I'd fitted aftermarket odd alloys but 20" Evoque straight-swap which are designed for similar vehicles I think they'll struggle with.
If I'd had 16" Freelander alloys fitted would they have thrown the claim out too - because they aren't standard on the XS model either.

Anyway I'm sure they'll forward all the technical data they have to me after my letter of complaint. I shall publish their findings on this increased wear on the flywheel. 2008 FL2 TD4 XS Zermatt Silver, Manual
2010 Jaguar XF

Post #226430 5th Jun 2014 2:42 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Correct me if I am wrong
But it doesn't matter what genuine wheels are fitted to the FL2, they all have the same rolling diameter, if they didn't you would have to fit a new speedo if you changed the wheels Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #226448 5th Jun 2014 6:05 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

True but the 20" wheels are not specified for the Fr2, so technically a modification. I hope they don't get away with it, but by the letter of the small print... Ex AA Series III LWB Safari - Gone
300TDi Disco (bought new - terrible car) sent back after 18 months
Freelander 1 Estate - leased, given back at end of lease
200TDi Disco (bought from a mate with 100,000 on the clock) - Gone
Disco 2 TD5 - sold and exported to France
FR2 TD4 GS - Gone
FR2 SD4 HSE - Now changed for a DS
New model ex-demo Evoque S 180 in white
Unable to order a new DS, so gave up. Now have a Volvo S90 Recharge.

Post #226450 5th Jun 2014 6:19 pm
ad210358

England 

I'm with Andy on this one, the Evoque wheels fitted will still give you the same overall rolling diameter, so the overall size hasn't changed.

Post #226453 5th Jun 2014 6:30 pm
ChrisSoutham

Thanks guys, I'm going to push them for the technical data especially the quote 'different wheels creates additional strain on the flywheel'. If that's just someone saying that to pass over the job, or actually true based on something I don't know then more information would be good.

I've got nothing to lose! 2008 FL2 TD4 XS Zermatt Silver, Manual
2010 Jaguar XF

Post #226491 5th Jun 2014 10:29 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

[quote="ChrisSoutham"]So it was the flywheel, the cambelt, some wiring under the seats for the airbag light and the passenger door not unlocking.

Without removing the clutch how can they tell that the DMF is at fault? Also apart from a breakage what constitutes a cambelt problem (normally changed at 150k miles on FL2)?

Post #226942 12th Jun 2014 5:45 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1