Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Any Experience buying an LR2 but no dealer nearby?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
PJH

Canada 
Any Experience buying an LR2 but no dealer nearby?

Hello, I am questioning the wisdom in buying a new LR2 with no Land Rover dealer nearby. The closest dealer is an 8 hour drive for me.
I have been told that I could get warranty work done at a local shop and as long as the parts are ordered from a Land Rover dealer then the dealer that I purchase the LR2 from would get compensation from Land Rover Canada.
This may work out okay but I wonder if there are other issues that may come up that would necessitate a visit to a dealer from time to time for problems that a local shop cannot repair. What about re-programming the key fob when it fails or the battery dies?
My spouse and I have looked at every possible off-road SUV and crossover and the only ones that look interesting are the LR2 and the Jeep Grand Cherokee. The Grand is far too expensive and the Jeep Cherokee is just too ugly.
All other new SUV's look the same, like a KIA... no thanks.

Can anyone offer any advice or experience with this situation?

Post #219924 19th Mar 2014 1:00 pm
EYorkshire

Can't offer any good advice from here as we're only a tiddly country and never that far from a dealer but, whatever you are told by a dealer especially in this case make sure it is put in writing.

Any fault codes etc will need to be read by a dedicated reader and annual servicing does require your car to be hitched up to the reader for any codes to be read and software updates if available. Also there is one part of the servicing message that has to be reset by the faultcode reader. If your local guy has this then your'e nearly half way there as there's nothing as bad as your engine going into limp mode but having nothing to read the fault and giving a clue as to what is wrong.

You could also put the question to Mike, our resident LR customer services guy who could find out the answer for you. http://www.freel2.com/forum/land-rover-cus...-vf31.html

Post #219927 19th Mar 2014 1:27 pm
PJH

Canada 

Thanks EYorkshire, that's good advice.
A local shop claims to be a Land Rover repair shop and I plan to thoroughly interview them before deciding, but I do want to be armed with as many questions as possible.
I will browse the link you provided which will no doubt help me come up with more questions for the local shop.

Post #219930 19th Mar 2014 2:02 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1