Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Speedometer discrepancy?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Old Goat

France 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey
Speedometer discrepancy?

A brief story, bear with me. I have a Suzuki Grand Vitara (since joined by a LR FL2). Last year I purchased a dash camera (a PapaGo P3), which is very good - I'm pleased with it. One of the facilities whilst the camera is in operation, is a clear, large-format speed readout (based on GPS satellite information). This has always been accurate in the Suzuki when compared with the vehicle speedometer, and also with the various solar powered radar "speed indicators" springing up on the roads here in France.

Since purchasing my Freelander 2, I have purchased a second Papago 3, and mounted it on the windscreen.

The digital speed readout from this camera is always five kilometres per hour out when compared with the Freelander speedometer. The vehicle speedo invariably tends to over-read.

I have tried swapping the cameras between the two vehicles, with exactly the same result in the Freelander.

Although this isn't intrinsically a problem, it's a little disconcerting - which to believe?

Anyone else considered that their Freelander speedometer is inaccurate? Chris

Post #218371 2nd Mar 2014 1:08 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

I've checked my speedo against two different satnavs, and it's within 1-2 mph (depending on speed) of both. So 5kph sounds a little high, but still within permitted limits, I believe.

Post #218372 2nd Mar 2014 1:24 pm
MidlandRover

England 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

I have used TomTom GPS in various vehicles but not in a Freelander and the speedo has always been optimistic, rather it be that way than reading less than the actual speed. FL2 SD4 Metropolis Auto Santorini Black / ivory completely stock.

It's true that light travels faster than sound, some people look quite intelligent until you hear them speak.

Stop global winging.

Post #218373 2nd Mar 2014 2:03 pm
Old Goat

True enough, but the amount one invests in a vehicle of this marque, one expects near perfection... Chris

Post #218374 2nd Mar 2014 2:05 pm
EYorkshire

To get the speedometer to read exactly is well within the realms of LR but is set to deliberately read over as in most other cars.
The law states that it can read over but not under, so most err on the right side rather than be spot on where a slight change of tyre or the difference between worn out and new might cost you a speeding ticket.

Post #218377 2nd Mar 2014 3:18 pm
Iliacus

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Orkney Grey

With my old GS the speedo read 70mph when my Garmin showed 68mph which is pretty close. I would expect the car to read slightly over the actual speed for the reasons EYorkshire states.

I haven't specifically tried the comparison yet with my new XS but from what I recall the speedo is again a bit over the in-built sat nav. I'll let you know if it more than a couple of mph over at 70. GONE - '07 TD4 GS manual Zermatt Silver
LONG GONE - '55 Norton Dominator 99 SS cafe racer

Post #218379 2nd Mar 2014 4:19 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

my fl2 was with in 1 mph both before and after I changed from 17 to 18 inch wheels. are you on different tyres?

my forder ranger is about 10% slow at 100 kph. so the odometer clocks up slow as well.

ever tried driving 10km and comparing the gps distance traveled to the odometer?

does altitude affect gps speed? At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #218382 2nd Mar 2014 5:02 pm
unciepaul68

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

LR speed 32, GPS speed 30
LR speed 74, GPS speed 70
Similar with other cars I have driven when comparing with SAT Nav.

Post #218389 2nd Mar 2014 5:53 pm
Old Goat

I accept that, but the point I make is that the Suzuki is spot-on, and the radar speed detectors accompanying the roadside displays, always agree with the GPS cameras, in either vehicle. It would be useful if they all sang from the same hymnsheet.

I suppose a discrepancy of one or two MPH is more acceptable than one of 5 or more KPH. Chris

Post #218390 2nd Mar 2014 5:58 pm
rt

England 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey

My 07 GS and 10 GS speedos agreed with the sat nav but the 13 GS is approx 3 mph fast at 70.

Post #218410 2nd Mar 2014 8:09 pm
MartinP

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

My FL2 reads about 4mph high at 70mph compared with my TomTom. My old Defender, my wife's Mini Cooper and her previous Audi all had similar discrepancies.

The only car I've owned where the speedo correlated exactly with the TomTom was my TVR T350c. Rather odd for a TVR to have a gauge that could be really trusted Laughing

Post #218413 2nd Mar 2014 8:25 pm
flycop2000

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

As far as I can recall, speedometers have a tolerance of 10% When you get stopped for speeding, you wont be prosecuted at 31mph in a 30mph limit to allow for inaccuracies. In most places its speed + 10% + 3mph, this ensures you are defiantly exceeding the limit. Sad

Post #218422 2nd Mar 2014 9:58 pm
wdw

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Loire Blue

My 08 XS speedo was pretty close to spot on but my 14 XS speedo over-reads by by more than 5% compared to the Tom-Tom. 74mph on the Freelander speedo equates to 70mph on the Tom-Tom.

I'm disappointed that the built-in satnav doesn't include a satnav speed read-out

Post #218426 2nd Mar 2014 10:10 pm
choccymonster

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

flycop2000 wrote:
As far as I can recall, speedometers have a tolerance of 10% When you get stopped for speeding, you wont be prosecuted at 31mph in a 30mph limit to allow for inaccuracies. In most places its speed + 10% + 3mph, this ensures you are defiantly exceeding the limit. Sad

This is guidance, not definitive law.

You can be prosecuted for exceeding the speed limit by as little as 1mph - however ACPO guidelines SUGGEST that there be certain allowances made for speedo inaccuracies.

Off topic, I realise, but just wanted to be clear. 10% + 2mph is, I believe, the generally accepted guidance upon which a decision to prosecute might be based - however, it is not the law, and should not be relied upon. You CAN be prosecuted for as little as 1mph over the limit.

Hence, I guess, why it is illegal for a speedo to under read, but OK for it to over read (within tolerance).

Back on topic; 5kph overread on the FL speedo is perfectly acceptable and well within tolerance - the fact that the Suzuki happened to read spot on is just lucky. I suspect if you put the GPS in another Suzuki it would differ again from the OP's.

Post #218431 3rd Mar 2014 12:50 am
Olly SD4 HSE

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

I doubt if either are more than 98% accurate.

Speedo tend to over do this for the reasons stated.

When you think of the distance you are from the satelite on your GPS don't you think there is some rounding up or down in the mathematics it is doing and allowing for the time the signal takes to and from your vehicle. Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Santorini Black called "Olly" my name is Mike!

Post #218458 3rd Mar 2014 2:44 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>