« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > FL2 4wd question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue
FL2 4wd question

Can someone enlighten me on how the FL2 4wd system works? I believe that its very different to the FL1 with its viscous coupling and that the FL2 only connects the rear wheels when needed. Is this correct?

Post #217180 17th Feb 2014 1:26 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

The intelligent system of quattro permanent four-wheel drive has a torque distribution between the front and rear that varies continuously to suit dynamic conditions. Only a small part of the torque is transferred to the rear wheels under normal conditions such as a straight road paved, but in demanding off-road situations, can be transmitted to the rear wheels if necessary, almost all the torque. It is an ideal arrangement that provides maximum grip in difficult conditions, while reducing traction, when it is not necessary, thus reducing rotational losses and fuel consumption.

The torque distribution is continuously adapted. So if you find mud or snow on the road, for example, adjusts torque distribution between the front and rear provide optimum traction and improved safety at all times.

The intelligent 4x4 system has been developed with Haldex, whose central coupling technology continuously modifies the torque distribution between front and rear axle through a hydraulically operated multi-disc wet clutch.

However, Land Rover wanted an electronically-controlled center coupling linking the transmission shaft to the rear differential, which could pre-geared to sleep to reduce the loss of wheel traction in spurts, quickly geared to detect loss of traction and disengaged with the same speed without compromise of stability control systems. The system would also transmit the torque necessary to meet the demands of off-road traction.

The resulting system has been used exclusively on Freelander 2 and proactively engages quickly and quattro permanent four-wheel drive. A new pump high-pressure pre-charge the hydraulic system as soon as you start the engine, enabling the 4x4 traction from the very start. This also reduces the time needed to obtain the maximum torque once it detects a wheel skating - 15 º freely rotating wheel (compared to the 60 th of more conventional units).

The Haldex unit is designed to allow up to 1,500 Nm of torque transmission. An accumulator accelerates the response of the unit. The total transmission torque can be achieved in just 150 milliseconds. In fact, the new Haldex coupling system offers the advantages of a system of quattro permanent four-wheel proactive efficiency and low consumption of a front-wheel drive system.

Adaptability
Terrain Response is a key technology from Land Rover that fits the responses of the engine, transmission, central coupling and chassis systems of the vehicle to the demands of the terrain. Thus, optimizing the transmission and maximizes comfort and traction. It is available as standard on all models except the base

The Freelander 2, the driver can choose any of four Terrain Response settings using a rotary knob:

• Driving General - suitable for driving on the road or undemanding terrain.
• Grass / Gravel / Sand - suitable for slippery conditions, on and off the road.
• mud and ruts
• Arena

Each of these configurations optimized electronic and mechanical controls adapted to the chosen field.

Terrain Response also controls the stability and traction devices as follows:

• Dynamic Stability Control (DSC): designed to help curb the transmission of torque to the wheel that loses traction, although in some off-road situations may be desirable to retain the pair even though that loss. Terrain Response automatically adjusts the DSC to maintain proper pair.

• Electronic Traction Control and antilock brakes: Terrain Response set these control systems to provide optimum grip, braking power and maximum reliability in the field concerned.

• Hill Descent Control (HDC): the latest generation of Land Rover's award-winning technology that automatically limits the speed on the descents using the brakes and improves driver control on slippery descents. The HDC is activated automatically when you select the appropriate Terrain Response programs. The rates of decline vary depending on the selected surface.

Terrain Response also changes the electronic center coupling configurations to optimize the four-wheel traction in difficult conditions. This system, operational, made its debut in 2004 in the Land Rover Discovery 3.

Post #217181 17th Feb 2014 1:32 pm
AndyManc

England 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

I was hoping for a more comprehensive response!!! Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up MY14 SD4 HSE LUX, Colour - Santorini Black, Spare Alloy, Privacy Glass, Front & rear SS tread plates, Chrome arse, Official LR coat hanger!! <-- Going soon... Any offers?

On order - DS2 with pretty much everything on 👌

"Keep it Moist" Wink

Post #217185 17th Feb 2014 1:50 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

that's all i could copy and paste from a previous thread, sorry Wink Laughing

Post #217186 17th Feb 2014 1:54 pm
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Some of that looks to be not quite right Nick. "Grass/Gravel/Sand"? and "Arena"? Surprised On mine (and everyone elses) I have "Grass/Gravel/Snow", "Mud & Ruts" and "Sand". 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #217188 17th Feb 2014 2:16 pm
Bill Turner

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

Arena is for the Land Rover shows at Peterborough and Driffield.

Bill T Life Honorary Member of Wallasey Motor Club.
Licenced MSA Radio Operator for 35+ years.
Rallying is the only sport.

Post #217189 17th Feb 2014 2:21 pm
dunkley201

Thanks Bill - but ours all say "Sand" not "Arena". Am I correct? Also the "S" of GGS is for "Snow" is it not? 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

Post #217190 17th Feb 2014 2:27 pm
Bill Turner

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

"Grass/Gravel/Snow", "Mud & Ruts" and "Sand". is correct.

Bill Life Honorary Member of Wallasey Motor Club.
Licenced MSA Radio Operator for 35+ years.
Rallying is the only sport.

Post #217191 17th Feb 2014 2:31 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

don't shoot the messenger, i only copied of a previous post by wizking iirc Thumbs Up

Post #217192 17th Feb 2014 2:39 pm
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

When you read that post it makes you realise what a tricky piece of kit the fwd system is on the Freelander.

Post #217193 17th Feb 2014 2:43 pm
dunkley201

Don't worry, Nick, we'll not put you against the wall yet! That whole write-up looks to have lost something in translation though. I guess it was the initial promo blurb. Thumbs Up 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

Post #217194 17th Feb 2014 2:45 pm
wizking

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Indus Silver

Don't blame me, I copy and pasted from a website somewhere!!!!

Post #217195 17th Feb 2014 3:10 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

looks like a website copy, from the blurb it looks like a LR press release or something, just thought it answers most questions, never actually noticed the Arena comment myself Thumbs Up

Post #217197 17th Feb 2014 3:15 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

Quote:
When you read that post it makes you realise what a tricky piece of kit the fwd system is on the Freelander.

In principle it's actually pretty simple - just a couple of open diffs and a clutch, working in conjunction with the brakes. All the clever stuff is in the software controlling it.

Quote:
I guess it was the initial promo blurb.

It looks more like a third-party write-up to me. I have never seen LR use the term quattro in anything!

Post #217198 17th Feb 2014 3:17 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

the arena part wasn't picked up on originally when this was posted in 2010 Confused

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic6788.html?highlight=arena

probably as we got distracted by CG going on about Tiny Monkeys Rolling Eyes

Post #217199 17th Feb 2014 3:21 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>