Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Transmission Fault, Traction Reduced,Terrain Response Faulty
Do you consider your Freelander 2 Reliable?
Yes it only ever needs routine servicing
80%
 80%  [24]
No it has too many non routine faults
20%
 20%  [6]
Total Votes: 30

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
23Skidoo

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Buckingham Blue
Transmission Fault, Traction Reduced,Terrain Response Faulty

Well I've been reading the forums for a little while as it helped me to decide on buying a FL2. So I bought a 2011 MY GS auto TD4 from a Main Dealer who shall for the moment remain nameless until I am able to judge the customer service and technical competency.

Bought the car late December 2013 (one month ago) 33,100 miles and have been busy with buying a few goodies for it.

I thought is a bit noisy on the transmission side of things so I took it back and asked the Dealer to check to see if there was a wheel bearing or diff bearing that needed replacing. Dealer investigated and said that it was definately tyre noise. when I bought the car I asked if they would be putting new tyres on and they declined as the tyres (Goodyear Wranglers AW) had 4 mm left (and look like they are the originals).

This weekend the terrain response and transmission fault has appeared and I've taken it back to the dealer.

I have bought this car with the intention of keeping it for 5 years but now wonder whether I'm going to be one of the unlucky ones that have the friday afternoon cars. I hope not as I like the car. It replaced an 06 diesel PT Cruiser and my Ancient 94 300 tdi Disco that I use as a weekend workhorse to pull the horse and get to the feed store.

Still in Warranty so waiting to see what they have to say Big Cry

Post #215012 27th Jan 2014 3:21 pm
EYorkshire

I've replied a few times to 'posters' regarding Wranglers as I likened it to a 'droning noise' and had me a little concerned.
I had them from new on a previous FL2 and the noise corresponded to 3-4mm left on the tyres, but when I bought new 18" wheels shod with Pirelli's the car was silent and remained so until I swapped it in.
I can only assume that as certain tyres wear they become noisy and get mistaken for 'diff bearing' or 'wheel bearing' noise.

Post #215015 27th Jan 2014 3:30 pm
alex_pescaru

Countless topics on these things on the forum... Just use search...
Really necessary opening a new topic for it? A little late for second thoughts, isn't it?
Or too lazy to read them all and lets throw a poll in order for others to do the math?

Back to the original question I say the car's really unrealiable and therefore you should sell it...

Post #215016 27th Jan 2014 3:35 pm
23Skidoo

Nice Welcome to my first post Alex. are you always so Un-welcoming and rude to people? I'll try not to upset your diktats and sensitivities from now on.

If you read carefully apart from a poll that i thought might give an idea of how many people actually do have problems vs the number of subjects that come up on the tech issues. I didn't ask any questions of what I thought the problem might be.

As a professional mechanical engineer I will leave that to the Dealer Technicians and comment on whether I think the diagnosis credible and leave some feedback on my thoughts about Land Rover Customer Service.

Finally, If you don't like what I post please just ignore my future posts and let people with constructive comments reply to me instead.

As you are a central scrutineer or moderator or whatever you call your self, may now delete me from existence.

Good day sir Thumbs Up

Post #215019 27th Jan 2014 4:19 pm
alex_pescaru

Sorry for hurting your feelings.
As for the additional information that you've requested, the below topic (and the site promoted inside) would have been answer your questions.
www.freel2.com/forum/topic946.html

Post #215020 27th Jan 2014 4:24 pm
Luggs

Wales 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Are you really sorry for hurting his feelings, or are you just being sarcastic, it is very difficult to judge.

Either way, as we are all entitled to our opinion, my opinion is that that people seem to take more time/enjoyment from telling someone that they should use the search than actually helping them. If you are bored with people asking how to use search, or they seem to not be able to, in your view, then grasp the nettle of the issue and sort out a better pinned thread on searching as clearly people are not currently of the calibre that you require. Alternatively you could just decide not to answer, but the current approach of calling them, to all intents and purpose lazy, is not at all productive.

I suspect that people are put off by this seemingly superior attitude, this is just my opinion of course, and you are entitled to disagree.

If you want a forum where only perfect people can join, then I suggest you start to advertise it as such. Never tell me the odds.

Post #215024 27th Jan 2014 6:02 pm
23Skidoo

Thanks for that Luggs, I'm glad there is a friendly person out there. I hope that the attitude of Land Rover Dealers is better than the welcome I initially got here.although Thanks EYorkshire for sharing your experience with me. I have reseached the tyre noise which is why for the moment I have accepted the dealership's opinion. I'll be changing the Tyres to Pirelli's as soon as funds allow as I had hoped to get a couple of months out of them first.

I intend to post occasionally giving my thoughts on Freelander ownership having been playing with Land Rovers for 30 odd years from Series II to the Most Expensive Land Rover I've bought so far.

I like the car and have put about 2000 miles on it in 4 weeks but having suffered from Chrysler Reliability I'm hoping that I'm just suffering a couple of teething problems.

To me the judge of a company is how they respond to issues when things go wrong so I reserve Judgement on the Dealer for the moment.

I have also researched the common faults that could cause the fault messages but with a vehicle such as the Freelander at the moment any cause would be speculation.

Anyway I'll let you know how things progress

Cheers

Andy

Post #215026 27th Jan 2014 6:17 pm
23Skidoo

So the end of the working day and these are my thoughts so far.

I have rung the Dealership four or five times to get an update on progress and on three occasions been told "everyone is busy at the moment sir please can I ask the service dept to call you back" so I wait..................and I wait................ and I wait. so I call them back after an hour each time.

So in the respect of proactive customer service not impressed so far.

Anyway, when I eventually get through to the Service Dept, the Tech's are "still running the diagnostics on the car sir" They also have no Courtesy Car Available but they have Contacted Land rover for a Hire replacement.

I always think that if the diagnosis takes longer than a day then its could be be an awkward one.

I'm in London (by Train) tomorrow so hopefully there'll be some more positive news when I get back. Neutral

Post #215031 27th Jan 2014 7:21 pm
steve t

United Kingdom 

Don't really wish I get too involved with the comments for or against but I think in Alex`s defence we should understand that fact hes not English and although he seems to speak type good English he may not have the true English grammar in just the same way we wouldn't have if we went over to Romania.
Hand on heart I don't think he meant it in the harsh way it has been taken, Why would a guy that gives so much help on the forum then try to offend a new member Question

I must say I do believe the search tab should be used as much as possible but only due to the fact that

1 The poster could save so much time to find the answers they hope to find

2 If it wasn't there at all we would all have so many repeat post to read over

3 Most importantly the forum would end up running so slow due to the amount of posts we would end up loosing members

Andy none of the above is a dig at you in anyway shape or form and wish you all the very best in solving your problem
End of the day your a new member and you cant be expected to find your way round the forum on your first post but as said I think Alex`s way of coming across is more the English grammar thing rather than a direst dig at you mate

Post #215032 27th Jan 2014 7:28 pm
23Skidoo

Hi Steve,

It's okay I'm not intending to start any battles here Alex apologised and I'll take that at face value.

The fact is that I was not asking for anyone to answer my transmission issue but I thought that I would provide a record of the issue and how the Land Rover Dealership manages the problem.

While I was posting I saw the poll option and as most people that actually post tend to do so only when they encounter problems, I thought I'd run a very unscientific straw poll on what forum members thought of reliability.

I've been doing a lot of research on various items on the forum and have found it a valuable resource. I just didn't expect the response I got from Alex and was somewhat taken aback by the dismissive comment. all calm now though

Mellow! Very Happy

Post #215034 27th Jan 2014 7:43 pm
AndyManc

England 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

Whichever way you look at it's better than Eastenders Rolling with laughter Mr. Green Very Happy MY14 SD4 HSE LUX, Colour - Santorini Black, Spare Alloy, Privacy Glass, Front & rear SS tread plates, Chrome arse, Official LR coat hanger!! <-- Going soon... Any offers?

On order - DS2 with pretty much everything on 👌

"Keep it Moist" Wink

Post #215038 27th Jan 2014 8:11 pm
23Skidoo

I hope my relation ship with the Dealership doesn't become a soap opera though! Smile

Post #215039 27th Jan 2014 8:14 pm
AndyManc

England 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

Laughing MY14 SD4 HSE LUX, Colour - Santorini Black, Spare Alloy, Privacy Glass, Front & rear SS tread plates, Chrome arse, Official LR coat hanger!! <-- Going soon... Any offers?

On order - DS2 with pretty much everything on 👌

"Keep it Moist" Wink

Post #215040 27th Jan 2014 8:15 pm
Winslet

United Kingdom 

Goodyear Wranglers and noise - I had this on my previous Freelander as they wore to about 3-4mm each. Started at about 40mph plus and from the rear... got worse and I worried that it was something major. I tend to change tyres at 3-4mm and replaced them shortly afterwards (with Goodyear tyres once more, only size I could find in 16") and the noise disappeared.

Can't help with the transmission faults, I hope that one is easily sorted. But the tyre issue does seem quite common with Goodyear Wranglers. 2016 BMW X3 30d SE in red
MY2013 SD4 XS Firenze Red, 19" 10 spoke contrast paint wheels, Signature Strips, Grand Black Lacquer trim, Cold Climate Pack - gone!
2007 TD4 S Stornoway Grey - gone!

Post #215041 27th Jan 2014 8:46 pm
alex_pescaru

I really meant when I've said that I'm sorry that I've hurt your feelings. Sorry.

Although it may not count in this case where you already formed an image about me, in my defense, I could say that many times I've offered the same information to many newcomers and didn't tried to make them unwelcome.

In this particular case, just putting the word "reliability" in the search box would bring you many relevant topics.
Indeed, the last part with the selling thing was a little ironic, but in a constructive way.
I thought that, as a mature guy, you could handle a little "constructive criticism".

Now I am glad I didn't say it how a friend told me when I had a problem with my FL2: The summer is coming. Just sell it and buy a nice bathing suit. I could only imagine how you would have reacted if I have said it in that way.... Laughing

Post #215042 27th Jan 2014 8:48 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>