« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Windscreen Replacement
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Northy

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Firenze Red
Windscreen Replacement

My first post so firstly hello, have been looking at the forum for a while now and its been really helpful.

Giving the Freelander a quick wash today and whilst doing the wipers the blade came of the arm and the arm hit the screen causing it to crack!

Will need a replacement screen and was wondering if it would be possible to replace the standard screen with a heated one.

Is this likely to be a simple swap on a 2007 GS, will the wiring etc be in place for this other than dash switch. Would be grateful for any advice.

Just as an update - The heated screen has been fitted today and it turned out that there was no connections in the wiring loom for it, just need to figure out how to wire this up now if anybody has any suggestions.

Thanks in advance

Post #214282 19th Jan 2014 6:34 pm
Pete The Biker

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Do you mean that the screen was hard wired into the loom and the wiring had to be cut when the old screen was removed?

My 2007 HSE needs a new screen.

Pete 2007 TD4 HSE Auto

Post #214651 23rd Jan 2014 6:21 pm
Northy

Hi Pete

I had a heated screen put in to replace the standard non heated screen in the hope that the wiring would all be there, unfortunately it wasn't! Was hoping someone on here may have done or would have some suggestions on installing the wiring for this.

Post #214655 23rd Jan 2014 6:56 pm
Pete The Biker

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Ooooops sorry my 4 year old granddaughter was climbing all over while I was surfing the forum and I obviously missed a couple of paragraphs!

I am afraid I can't help with your query, so good luck in finding a solution.

Pete 2007 TD4 HSE Auto

Post #214656 23rd Jan 2014 7:04 pm
Mr Wolf

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

If you are able to fit a heated screen I would suggest that it is either a LR original fitting or a Pilkington make screen.

Some of the screens that the mobile fitters use are of eastern block manufacture and, I believe, are not a patch on the above two.

I had a replacement heated screen fitted on my FL2 HSE last year and the screen the mobile company used , I think it was made in Poland, was not the same quality as the original equipment.

The screen took ages to heat up and there were very wide areas on the nearside and offside of the screen, and also a panel running down the centre, that did not clear at all and could be seen to be devoid of the elements in those three areas.

I have also been told that the elements fitted in these screens are of poor quality and do not last.

I had requested a Pilkington screen to be fitted in my FL2 but they fitted this other one.

I argued the point with them and they eventually did a refit with a Pilkington screen and the difference was very visible.

Sorry about the pun but there was a marked difference between the two screens.

Post #214675 23rd Jan 2014 9:30 pm
Northy

Thankfully it's a Pilkington that's been fitted.

They had attempted to fit another make first, tried two of these screens and in each case the rear view mirror mount and area for the auto lights/wipers sensor did not fit/line up correctly.

Post #214680 23rd Jan 2014 11:16 pm
Legoman

United Kingdom 

I'd get a Topix subscription for the day and have a look at the workshop manual. It's surprising what wiring is already in place, but don't necessarily count on it.

Post #214692 24th Jan 2014 8:20 am
Northy

Thanks for the suggestion Legoman. Are there any costs with registering with Topix and would it show whats what specifically on my Freelander?

Post #214698 24th Jan 2014 10:00 am
fredastaire

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black
Topix electrics

Please may I suggest two possibilities for Topix.
1/.There was mention on the forum some time back that its already on the forum somewhere.
2/. Search EBay, I paid and bought a workshop manual, it came on disc - and guess what - it's Topix!!
I remember when having the battery cover off on my 2010 seeing some unused connections high up in the void near the screen
Kind regards from Fred
. 2010GS Auto ex Celeb, Santorini Black, 2011 facelift , spoiler, spats, mudflaps, LED footwell lamps, Witter detach,
Other cars:-
1958 & 1959 Austin J40 Pedal Cars under restoration (I make many J40 parts)
If you have an Austin J40 or Pathfinder Pedal Car looking for a new home pls PM me.
2009 Meriva

Post #214773 24th Jan 2014 9:13 pm
Winslet

United Kingdom 

In case this helps I had look today under the battery cover and I have these connections that go up under the panel to the base of the screen - I have a heated screen, but this is on a MY2013 car and might be slightly different. Cable was quite thick, looking like it was designed to carry a heavy load, which the screen would. There was also one on the other side but not so easy to see.

2016 BMW X3 30d SE in red
MY2013 SD4 XS Firenze Red, 19" 10 spoke contrast paint wheels, Signature Strips, Grand Black Lacquer trim, Cold Climate Pack - gone!
2007 TD4 S Stornoway Grey - gone!

Post #214816 25th Jan 2014 12:57 pm
Northy

Thanks for the photo Andrew, I've had a quick look but couldn't see any existing connections and the guys replacing the screen didn't seem to think there was any there. Will take the trim around base of screen of at some point and have a proper look but am thinking I'll have to wire it up on a separate circuit to get it working

Post #214849 25th Jan 2014 7:19 pm
stownrow

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Indus Silver

Hi Northy,

I looked at this on my previous FL2. Turns out it a different loom is required for that and heated washer jets.

I wonder if theres a plug that you can change part of the loom ? Although if you do find such a thing you've then got to change the climate control switches and get the car programmed.... 

Post #214850 25th Jan 2014 7:36 pm
Northy

Thanks for the info stownrow, seems to be more complicated and costly than I was hoping, to change the heater control switches as you mentioned is around £200 for the switch unit, I didn't think about the programming, was hoping for a simple plug together and install switch!

Post #214855 25th Jan 2014 8:17 pm
melcolin1

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black
Fitting a heated front screen in a gs model

I have had a heated front screen fitted on my freelander gs model but it isnt actually heated. I was wondering if it is easy enough to wire it in?

This post has been edited by the site administration team
Merged

Post #215942 5th Feb 2014 11:22 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1