Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Roading & Green Laning > How would the pretenders handle the G4 Challenge?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
The Doctor

United Kingdom 
How would the pretenders handle the G4 Challenge?

I was curious about this having read comments time and again on the net that a BMW X5 for example would not be laughed at by LR folk if fitted with appropriate tyres. It would plough through just as well (mostly in reference to snow and winter tyres).

So, lets just imagine the G4 Challenge and various LR's from FL2 to the FFRR are kitted out with the best quality AT tyres money can buy. The competition ranging from BMW & Audi's equivalent of the LR range to Jeep and Toyota are also fitted with the same tyres.

I reckon LR would still make mincemeat of them but just how well or badly would X5 or Q7 for example do on the G4 Challenge? LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #211688 21st Dec 2013 7:24 pm
Navigator

Scotland 

And still at the end of the day the farmer would come along in his battered Series I on baldy road tyres and pull out all the folk who got stuck. Everyone can spread it - Anyone can catch it. Stay home - the life you save can be your own!

Post #211699 21st Dec 2013 8:10 pm
wizking

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Indus Silver

And if he got stuck the Fiat Panda 4x4 could always help out!!

Post #211703 21st Dec 2013 8:26 pm
Thon

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Zermatt Silver

I think from what i've read about their on-road abilities, the X3/5/Q5 probably would be a little less suitable in the suspension articulation department, but probably wouldn't be too terrible with the right tyres.

From my POV though, having considered both X3 and X5 before settling on an FL2, it was the ability of the FL2 to go off-road without damaging itself that really swung it for me. I've competed in many off-road events in Defenders, etc and know that the FL2 isn't quite going to match that ability, but that it is entirely suitable for the terrain I want it to tackle, and the chances of damage are extremeiy low.

On Monday morning I also know I can also simply jump in it and it will take me comfortably and economically wherever I want to go, which a defender definitely will not do, but an X3/5 will, but only providing I have not destroyed it off-road the previous day:-S

It's a mixture of its all-round abilities which makes the FL2 such a winner IMHO.

Post #211968 24th Dec 2013 11:31 am
Chris B

United Kingdom 

I agree! (not that I'm biased having helped form the G4 Owners Club)

I actually photographed a shoot today in Suffolk in my FL2; following the organiser's RR TdV8 on MTs (towing the 9 "guns" in a trailer, a Mitsubishi towing the 'bird-collector' trailer, a 1981 Series 3 with "picker-ups" and there was a BMW X1 with another dog-handler but on one of the drives he ducked out for some reason... OK it was a bit more muddy and undulating so I just dialled up Mud&Ruts and on we went! Tee Hee!

"The gamekeeper teased me with "hey you got it dirty" to which I replied "No problem. it's a Land Rover" Gone... 2013 XS TD4 Manual Firenze Red
Gone... 2008 (09MY) XS Td4 Manual Stornaway Grey
Prior... 2003 G4 Discovery 2, 1998 Disco 1 and 1997 Disco 1 Company car before that
Also gone in Nov'13, after 7.5 yrs, to new owners with time for more TLC - 1980 Series III 88
Current 2015 Discovery Sport HSE 2.0

Post #212164 27th Dec 2013 8:44 pm
Thon

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Zermatt Silver

That is one of the uses to which my Freelander is put, and on the shoot I belong to they are the most common 4WD and well regarded.

They go everywhere the 90s, 110s and other Japaneses 4x4s go, although tyres are more of a limitation on our land.

And they always get muddy, mine as much on the inside as outside thanks to the Spaniel Smile

Post #212358 30th Dec 2013 7:44 pm
scrimple

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Ipanema Sand

I had the displeasure of driving an X5 for a day, I can only liken the ride to that of a mark 1 mini, bouncing all over the place.

I really cannot think one would be much good off road with such stiff suspension no matter what tyres are fitted.  MY2014 SD4 XS
Ipanema Sand

MY10 TD4-e GS Manual
Lago Grey Now retired after 8 trouble free years

Post #212377 30th Dec 2013 8:57 pm
LuckyTrucker

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Baltic Blue

Hi there, the only time I have seen a BMW X5 off road he was heading for disaster, heading forward but sliding sideways to a big hole, just no traction on wet grass. I put a recovery strop on him from my Disco 1 and pulled him clear. I have seen LRs, new Defenders Disco 3s and FL2s with traction control deal with similar situations and not even break into a sweat. IMHO LRs are the best straight out of a box off roader whether it be a Defender or a RRS or FL1 or 2. But remember, the best car to get you into the desert is a LR. If you want to come out of the dessert get a Landcruiser Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post #214000 16th Jan 2014 7:30 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1