« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > disc and pad replacement criteria s
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
mustemilat

Turkey 
disc and pad replacement criteria s

my 2008 freelander2 is now at the milage of 112000 km. I do not remember if the disks has been replaced or not but surely almost at every periodical maintenance (in every 1200km) breaking pads has been replaced.
my question is is there any standard to replace the discs and pads?
when i check disks by hand i can see a its became thinner. Is there any measurement , ratio or standard to understand that it is time to replace the discs?
or can we say in every ...km it must be replaced?
please tell me criteria s..

Post #213338 8th Jan 2014 2:29 pm
Advanced Factors
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey

Front disc minimum thickness is 26mm. Rear disc is 10mm

In general terms garages in the UK replace at about every 2 sets of pads, at this point you will see a raised outer lip, if you fit new pads on these you may get some noise while the pads wear into the lip. You should also change your discs if you have any brake fade, judder or they are glazed. A glazed disc will give the feeling of not quite stopping when almost at a halt - extra pedal pressure required. Paul Redding
+44 (0)23 8052 2760
Order Parts Online at www.advancedfactors.co.uk

Post #213351 8th Jan 2014 4:38 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Ralphk

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Zermatt Silver

Hi! It's interesting that you say that discs are normally replaced after two sets of pads. My previous car, mercedes C270, had to have new pads and discs at 40K because the stealer said you should not put new pads on old discs.
Who is right then please? Ralph
Zurmatt Silver, Diesel, Automatic, side steps, mud flaps, mats, boot liner, TomTom Start 60 installed, rubbing strips, removable Brink tow bar, after market tinted glass, front styling bar, Rear spoiler, Motorlicious tail pipe trim. Wood Company centre armrest

Post #213392 9th Jan 2014 12:14 am
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

That Merc dealer has two eyes on profit and none on customer VFM. Too many like that! Evil or Very Mad 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #213395 9th Jan 2014 12:42 am
Advanced Factors
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey

From my point of view it would be great to sell a set of discs with every set of pads but they are just not needed like that, if there is a good reason to replace them (as my first statement) then get on with it, if not.....

It's a bit like the MOT test - too many opinions rather than cold facts. Paul Redding
+44 (0)23 8052 2760
Order Parts Online at www.advancedfactors.co.uk

Post #213398 9th Jan 2014 7:37 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I remember the days when people had old discs skimmed and threw them back on.

Post #213406 9th Jan 2014 8:48 am
mustemilat

Turkey 

what does "Front disc minimum thickness is 26mm. Rear disc is 10mm" means? ate those showing time to replace them?
actually outer lips raised i can see it. how deep is the sign for replacement? i am asking this again because there is no noise during bereaking or no judder or smtg...and actually i am not sure if i need extra pedal push for stopping...since as i said its benn over 100K and may be i got used to it Smile
hence i need other criteria other than feelings?
lastley what would happen if pads and disks are replaced later than they are required?
whats the worst case senario?
note: by the way how often periodical check ( oil change, oil filtrr, air filter, diesel filter) should be done? during guarantee ( 3 years) dealer required in every 12K. afyer that other car services says 15K some says 10K! which one is correct?

thanks in advance

Post #213407 9th Jan 2014 8:50 am
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Mustilmat - the "disc thickness" is the measured width across the friction surfaces measured by use of a micrometer or calipers. Measure across the shiny friction surfaces, NOT the rusty edge. 26mm minimum for front disc, 10mm minimum for rear disc. (I assume you have a TD4, not an i6).

At 112,000 km (about 67,000 miles) I would expect the discs to be at least half worn or more. Disc wear rate really depends on how hard the car is driven and how much you use the brakes - it varies from driver to driver. As a guide, my rear discs were changed at about 90,000 miles. My front discs were changed earlier because of another fault.

If the pads were left unchanged and wear was excessive, you would wear off the friction material leading to "metal to metal" contact when braking. This you would "hear" and the brakes would be dangerous. If the discs were left unchanged and wear was excessive, then the pads could jam or the caliper pistons leak - both are potentially catastrophic!

Therefore, "worst case scenario" is NO BRAKES!

Servicing frequency in UK is every year or 15,000 miles, whichever is sooner. For you in Turkey it may be more frequent, dependent upon driving conditions. If your dealer says 12k, he is most likely right. Check your handbook.

Bob 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #213411 9th Jan 2014 11:35 am
Steve D

United Kingdom 

mustemilat wrote:
what does "Front disc minimum thickness is 26mm. Rear disc is 10mm" means? are those showing time to replace them?

Yes. Once they get below their minimum thickness they will be unable to efficiently dissipate heat which could lead to brake fade, boiling of the brake fluid, warping, heat cracks etc. Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #213430 9th Jan 2014 5:46 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1