« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Summer Tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
choccymonster

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Summer Tyres

Just managed to pick up some mint genuine LR 18" alloys fitted with Vredestein Wintrac Extreme winter tyres. Each tyre with 7-8mm of tread.

Given that I got the full set of alloys and tyres for a touch over £400 I was pretty pleased.

The original alloys on my car are pretty tired (pitted, flakey lacquer etc) so have had the winter tyres fitted to these "crap" alloys, and are now on the car.

The original "summer" tyres that were on the car have now been fitted to the mint alloys, ready to go into storage for use in summer.

It got me thinking. Given that I now have the ability to run two types of tyre (winter and summer), what would people recommend for a SUMMER tyre?

I'm all sorted for winter tyres, thanks to my newly acquired Vredesteins - but when the temperatures rise, what should I consider fitting to my summer alloys? Bearing in mind that they won't have to deal with any snow/ice/low temperatures?

Post #212362 30th Dec 2013 8:19 pm
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I am in a similar situation but with 17" alloys. I have one set (on now) with Avon Ranger Ice, which are excellent for grip and ride. My other set are Goodyear Wranglers which seem to wear so well I am not even contemplating replacing then for some time. Grip is good, but they give a lot of "bump/thump" compared to the Avons. It will be interesting to see what others recommend. That was a good buy you had - Vredesteins and an 18" set - very good! Thumbs Up 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #212367 30th Dec 2013 8:30 pm
scrimple

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Ipanema Sand

I needed to change a couple of tyres some 3 month or so ago, in the end went for general grabber GT. So far, splendid ride grip etc.

I do find the wranglers give a lot of tyre noise as they wear, the tread goes 'blocky' which causes a rumble at speed. I first thought I had bearing problems, the dealer said tyres, I thought ok, dealer not wanting to get embroiled in arguments about noise/bearings/tyres etc, so I swapped 2 tyres, hey presto, problem cured, the dealer was right! We'll they have to be sometimes don't they  MY2014 SD4 XS
Ipanema Sand

MY10 TD4-e GS Manual
Lago Grey Now retired after 8 trouble free years

Post #212372 30th Dec 2013 8:46 pm
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

We are getting great feedback on the General GT's. Thumbs Up Andy.
www.ajstyres.co.uk www.ajs4x4.co.uk
J8 M25 SURREY
01737 241370

Post #212411 31st Dec 2013 9:47 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1