« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Why Germans don't buy Land Rovers
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Past master

United Kingdom 
Why Germans don't buy Land Rovers

Just got back from a trip to Berlin. Only saw 3 LRs and 1 RR on the whole trip, and only one of those had a German reg. Wound the SD4 up to 120mph - might have gone a bit faster but that seemed to be its max "happy" speed - but had to keep pulling over to let the locals race past. I guess the FR2 is just not fast enough for them Whistle

Post #209054 26th Nov 2013 11:26 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Never been to German was they really speeding past fast on the autobahn at 120mph Shocked Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #209055 26th Nov 2013 11:29 pm
jubdad

2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Oh yes!

&feature=youtu.be

Post #209058 27th Nov 2013 12:21 am
choccymonster

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

Yep.

Been several times; got the Mondeo V6 up to 135mph before my imagination caught up with me.....but even then you had to pay attention to faster moving traffic behind you.

I had an AMG Mercedes G-Wagon go past me like I was stopped, and I was doing well over 100mph. He had to be doing 140mph, easily......

The issue I found is that only being two lanes, the speed differential between the lorries in lane 1 and the rest of the traffic in lane 2 was HUGE. If you weren't paying attention it was very easy to get stuck behind a lorry, making it incredibly difficult to pull out into lane 2.

It was also quite exciting barrelling along in lane 2 at 100mph+ only for a lorry to pull out in front of you so as to overtake another lorry in lane 1!!!

Post #209060 27th Nov 2013 12:27 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

Crazy speeds, might need to do a road trip one day after I won the lotto Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #209061 27th Nov 2013 12:33 am
hinchy

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Aintree Green

Had to work in Germany some years back and I can say even if your doing 140mph which I once did, you still get someone trying to pass you. They put their left indicator on which means let me pass.

Post #209062 27th Nov 2013 12:36 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

They were doing that on my way home through Switzerland and France I was going for it in the rain at 80-100mph and these loonies just got out and indicated to pull past, which I let them,

Even at 135mph I was been over taken occasionally,

glad I saw no cops that day Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #209063 27th Nov 2013 12:45 am
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

I have been a few times. It is a common myth that all Autobahns are unrestricted. Less than 5% of German Autobahns have no speed limit.

I think the best section is just north of Stuttgart. A massive long stretch. I had my old 3.0 V6 CDTi Signum just over 145mph on that stretch.

I also did it in a re-mapped Astra 1.9 CDTi which was just under 200bhp, but forgot about the top speed limiter. 4000rpm in 6th gear which was 138mph. Just would not go any more no matter how much you tried, at 135 it was still pulling like a train but then stopped pulling at 138 Big Cry Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #209065 27th Nov 2013 8:51 am
heyho

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

Has any one any statistics on safety/accidents on these 'unrestricted' roads compared to the UK.

Is it the case that the UK roads are much more conjested?

Post #209087 27th Nov 2013 10:18 am
sparkyfletch

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

I am fortunate to have driven in Germany a good few times. the autobahn system works well, they are more polite than us and never drift out to change without looking and indicating -as you would if someone may be bearing down on you at 145MPH. there are many sections regulated down to 120KPH due to what they call tight curves or lane drops. I understand there is a reduced limit when it rains.
I once drove to Colditz in a day - unachievable here (around 700 miles) by averaging 125MPh in my Jaguar through Germany.
It would be great to have this freedom here but we are too congested, don't build roads anymore and I regret to say as a nation we do not drive with a sense of awareness that your average German does. If we even had the debate here the pressure groups and safety nuts would kill it off as they did the proposed increase to 80MPH that was proposed by this government. Most of Europe has a 120kph limit which is greater than 70mph, some have 140kph but we all drive the same cars to the same rules of the road?
The British Drivers Association obtained the stats once - no more Germans die on the autobahnen than our motorways per passenger mile. 2012 GS Converted-
The Best Commercial by Four by Far

Post #209092 27th Nov 2013 11:10 am
mikehzz

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Lago Grey

I had a TDV6 Touareg up to 220kph a few years ago on one of the German autobahns. Too fast in my opinion but I wanted to see what it was like. Ticked it off the list of things I wanted to do. The fuel gauge drops like a rock at that speed.

Post #209098 27th Nov 2013 12:33 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Never driven on autobahn but I've driven rather quickly on 2 driving experience days. The Ferrari 360 spider I drove felt on the edge at speed and quite fierce. The Aston Martin DB9 on the other hand, felt comfortable and relaxed at 160mph down the back straight.

2 very different cars in how they drive so bound to feel different. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #209140 27th Nov 2013 6:51 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

They no longer put the indicators on to show you they want to pass (while tailgating at well over 100). The indicator bit is now illegal. The tailgating is still normal. Most autobahnen nowadays are too congested to drive really fast, so if they do get a clear stretch they just go for it. I had a good long stretch of empty as the road was closed for an accident further back, which I was luckily able to work around. I reckon people were passing me doing at least 140 mph. Apparently when you get up to the really fast speeds you need to remember to slow down for the bends which you wouldn't even notice normally.
Yes there are now a lot of speed limits, but certainly on the way to Berlin there's a lot of derestricted. Germany has an "advisory" limit of 130 kph, and in fact a lot more people nowadays stick to that sort of speed just because of the fuel cost. Diesel at present is 133 - 137 Euros per litre. Petrol quite a bit more.

Post #209186 27th Nov 2013 11:37 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

This video gives you the idea. At one point he's doing 270kph in the slow lane. Tops out at 315 kph (just short of 200 mph).

Post #209187 27th Nov 2013 11:47 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Shocked

Then you see this linked in the videos below Razz Brazil by the looks of it, but crazy driving
 Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #209190 28th Nov 2013 12:06 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>