« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > My private plates still on my old car driving about 7 months
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Slaneydore

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
My private plates still on my old car driving about 7 months

Sold my old car in April 7 months ago jeep Cherokee, PX it with the dealer for my freely Who exchanged my private plates over for me....
Got Home from work and had a fix penalty through for a parking fine in Canterbury Kent that was issued on the 27/9/2013 in my name and number plate shown. Phoned them up to ask what car the plates where on and they had a look at the CCTV and told me its a black jeep Cherokee Rolling Eyes

Phoned DVLA to tell them someone was driving around with my plates and they didn't wanna know and said you need to phone the police, so I phoned the Hertfordshire police and they said I need to phone Canterbury police seeing as the crime was committed there, so I did, only to have them tell me I need to phone Hertfordshire police Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Hertfordshire police told me there isn't any crime being committed Censored
and I need to phone my dealer to ask them to contact the person they sold it to and ask them to put the registered plate that belong to the jeep on,,, just got of the phone to my dealer and he's just about to phone the person he sold it to in April to see what's going on

Ill keep you updated Wink BETTER looking half of the famous Twinlanders
The wanna be other half - http://www.freel2.com/forum/member-carriec.html

Post #205173 30th Oct 2013 6:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
duckworthparts
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Hertfordshire police told me there isn't any crime being committed

How strange Sophie Alltoft

Send a paypal payment direct using this link www.paypal.me/duckworthparts

www.duckworthparts.co.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/duckworthparts/
My Direct Line: 01673 849873
Email: sophie.alltoft@duckworth.co.uk
Supplier of Genuine Land Rover & Jaguar Parts For All Models

Can also supply OEM & Aftermarket parts

Post #205175 30th Oct 2013 6:09 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Slaneydore

That's what I thought Dan, I'm sitting here debating whether to call them back up Shocked
Just done a car check on my old plate the dealer said the jeep should be on WP04 VOD and its coming back as the jeep... And it's been taxed since they have owned it, meaning the tax disc doesn't match up with the plates and the insurance won't neither Whistle BETTER looking half of the famous Twinlanders

Post #205178 30th Oct 2013 6:23 pm
SakoQuad

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Think you must have got through to the cleaner with that call, there must be several offences being committed otherwise why don't we all make up our own plates and drive around with them as we see fit?

Post #205184 30th Oct 2013 6:41 pm
choccymonster

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

So basically, all the paperwork has gone through...but the new owners of the Jeep haven't physically swapped the plates over.

Gimps.

This is exactly why I get paranoid when I buy/sell a car with my private plate. I always insist on physically removing my private plates from the car I am trading in, and I always handle the plate transfer myself.

You have to wonder how many other cars are driving around out there with incorrect plates on them...

The OP has my sympathy - hope you resolve this speedily. I would be incandescent......

Post #205186 30th Oct 2013 6:43 pm
Infradig

England 

I had this from the other side a couple of years ago. I privately bought a BMW 5 series which had a private plate on it. The seller said he would contact me when the transfer had gone through,4 months passed and I realised the tax was about to expire. I called the previous owner,only for him to say 'I'd lost your number,the transfer went through after a week!'
I'd been driving around in a black 5 series that would come back as a silver Range Rover Sport from DVLA for 4 months,in that time I was on the M1/M25 every day,drove into Central London numerous times(paying the congestion charge) and went into Heathrow about 6 times ,on one occasion seeing anpr vans and extra security as it was the day some idiot drove into Glasgow airport in a flaming Cherokee.
I deduced from this that as long as the number plate comes back as insured it doesn't matter what car it's on. 2007 Freelander 2 2.2TD4 HSE manual (Hers)
2010 BMW 530D Estate (Mine)
2001 Mercedes CLK convertible (Hers)
That doesn't seem fair, time to find a 300Tdi
Range Rover for me !

Post #205191 30th Oct 2013 7:07 pm
Stevie5tapes

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Auto Sumatra Black

Surely some offence must of occurred here? For example the car could be classed as having cloned plates? The person driving the other car must know their mistake unless they are trying it on to maybe get cheaper car tax? Black MY2013 SD4 GS Auto, Wood Company Armrest, Freel2 sticker.
Gone MY2010 Freelander 2 Manual TD4.e S, Alaska White.

Post #205193 30th Oct 2013 7:20 pm
Slaneydore

All paper work went thru, and the dealer sent the new owner the new plates to put on the jeep WP04 VOD that was previously on the jeep before I got the private plates..
Still waiting for them to let me know if they contacted the new owner, I can't see it being tonight, hopefully tomorrow BETTER looking half of the famous Twinlanders

Post #205194 30th Oct 2013 7:26 pm
carriec

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

There are some cheeky she-ite's out there Evil or Very Mad

Lets hope the Jeep drivers get their just deserts Thumbs Up The BEST looking half of the famous Twinlanders Ner Ner
The bald half Whistle http://www.freel2.com/forum/member-slaneydore.html

Post #205196 30th Oct 2013 7:32 pm
Slaneydore

Car tax is the same price on both cars Steve £280
They could just be lazy people... Or they didn't receive the new plates in the post Confused BETTER looking half of the famous Twinlanders

Post #205197 30th Oct 2013 7:33 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

SakoQuad wrote:
Think you must have got through to the cleaner with that call, there must be several offences being committed otherwise why don't we all make up our own plates and drive around with them as we see fit?

You'd be surprised. A courier rider made a slight alteration to his plate on his scooter (made a 'D' look like an 'O') and it resembled mine. I got several bus lane tickets which I eventually got cancelled but when I went to the police with photographic evidence from the PCN and gave them the correct registration number plus the name of the company he worked for they didn't want to know. They said it COULD be fraud and I told me I had to go to the fraud squad if I wanted to take it further. Lazy bastards. Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #205199 30th Oct 2013 7:36 pm
Stevie5tapes

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Auto Sumatra Black

Maybe the dealer didn't make it clear to them? I exchanged my Audi for My freelander. I drove around on the origional freelander plates while the dealer sorted out my plate transfer. They put my plate on retention then transferred it to the freelander. Then I picked my new plates up from the dealer. In the mean time the dealer had sold my old Audi with the origional plates on. Something has gone wrong big time in your case Slaneydore. Something sounds fishy. In these days of ANPR the police won't notice anything as computer says yes, but someone else cock up could potentially cause problems. The thing that irks me is that the police and DVLA don't want to get involved! Black MY2013 SD4 GS Auto, Wood Company Armrest, Freel2 sticker.
Gone MY2010 Freelander 2 Manual TD4.e S, Alaska White.

Post #205202 30th Oct 2013 7:43 pm
Aero_383

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Ipanema Sand

Slaney
First things first, respond to the ticket in writing stating the vehicle in question is displaying clone plates and give the circumstances of the sale, dealer, new owner etc. Keep a copy yourself.

Tell the dealer the police have been informed the Jeep is on false plates and ask this fact to be passed to the new owner.

If the Jeep owner denies liability for the ticket then they commit the offence of fraud, and this is a Kent police offence, even though you live elsewhere. The Jeep owner is in possession of a false instrument and if they deny the ticket offence they are knowingly using the instrument (plates) with the intention of making a gain (financial)

Personally I would also inform DVLA and Kent police RPU (Roads policing Unit) that the Jeep is running on cloned / false plates, so the Censored will get constantly pulled every time they pass a police car with ANPR. Don't be fobbed off by police control centres, ask for the RPU intelligence officer.
Good luck _________________
Gone - 2010 Rimini XS

Post #205206 30th Oct 2013 7:57 pm
Slaneydore

Cheers Aero for the advise ill do that in the morning Thumbs Up BETTER looking half of the famous Twinlanders

Post #205209 30th Oct 2013 8:11 pm
Aero_383

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Ipanema Sand

I know it's a pain in the backside but hopefully the dealer informing the new owner will frighten them to sort it out.
The RPU / ANPR intel officers will circulate the index and should be helpful to you. The problem with control rooms is they aren't police officers anymore, so don't really know where to divert the calls. Asking for a specific department will negate that.
Please keep us posted mate. _________________
Gone - 2010 Rimini XS

Post #205211 30th Oct 2013 8:19 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>