« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Pirelli scorpion zero tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
andycwb

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Ipanema Sand
Pirelli scorpion zero tyres

Looking closely at the new 'un (MY11 SD4 HSE) it seems to be sitting on Pirelli Scorpion Zero tyres.

Anyone got any experience of them in the snow?

Andy 2011 MY SD4 HSE + planning some interesting stuff
Previously: 2004 Discovery Td5 ES Premium + lots of stuff
Previously: P38A Range Rover 4.0 SE
Hampshire and Berkshire 4x4 Response Founder and Treasurer

Post #203985 21st Oct 2013 6:53 am
alex_pescaru

Yes, I have.
I almost shìt my pants when at one moment the car started to slide laterally...
Yes, the road had a little lateral gradient but nowhere near to justify such a behavior...

Post #203991 21st Oct 2013 8:04 am
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

I have them on mine.

no real issues and have been happy with them so far, but at 25000mls they are showing their age a bit and think I will need to replace next year.

Iain

Post #204001 21st Oct 2013 9:11 am
j77

Scotland 

Ran my Evoque all winter last year with Pirelli scorpion summer tyres, no problems. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #204014 21st Oct 2013 11:17 am
menir1

Portugal 2011 LR2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey
Re: Pirelli scorpion zero tyres

andycwb wrote:
Looking closely at the new 'un (MY11 SD4 HSE) it seems to be sitting on Pirelli Scorpion Zero tyres.

Andy

I have a 2011 FL 150 HP 4WD.
A have the Zero on four wheels and I found theme really great, mainly on winter roads with water.
The P ZERO ROSSO SUV ASIMMETRICO are good also, but no so positive off-road (mud; grass)
The ZERO are the best relation between price and performance on the market.
You can try also the HANKOOK DYNAPRO HP2 RA33; very good performance for the price!
And an friendly advice: forget the originals, and terrible, CONTINENTAL Sad
Best regards

Post #204287 23rd Oct 2013 2:11 am
SimonB

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Had them on the one day that we had the heavy snowfall in the SE (forget when that was). Skidded to a stop at a roundabout with ABS kicking in, perhaps I had approached too quickly, but certainly wasn't going fast. Back end was slipping away from me at one right hand turn at a T-junction. Total journey is only about 10 miles, so no great experience in snow other than that. I certainly wouldn't want to put you off the vehicle because of the tyres. I did find though that performance degraded with age, and like Iain at 23k I had one tyre at 2mm (rest were 3,4 & 5) so changed them for GG GTs. Now it's 2 years since the Pirellis were new, but my recollection is that the GTs are a better tyre, the car feels very planted and never had any reason to be concerned about grip. I don't throw the car around, but I do like to make progress.

To be fair though the GTs are a summer road tyre, the Zeros claim M&S so perhaps not a like for like comparison. My intention is to get some winter tyres this year.

Post #204317 23rd Oct 2013 12:47 pm
MightyMildred

United Kingdom 

They were totally useless last winter. To be fair I was towing a trailer with two round bales in a foot of muddy snow.
I repeated the exercise a week later with the wintracs and they were superb. I found the Pirelli ATRs better than the zeros.
I'd get yourself some wintracs (shameless advertising for the wheels I'm selling!)

Post #204349 23rd Oct 2013 7:12 pm
apc67

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

My SD4 61 plate came with these tyres. 2 yrs and 43k miles later they are due for a change. Great tyres and I went through 2 snowy winters on them.

Post #209644 3rd Dec 2013 8:50 pm
taztastic

England 

Never had any problems with mine, although this set are now down at 4mm and noisy, will try them and see what happens.

Post #209654 3rd Dec 2013 9:21 pm
ebygum32

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

We run them on the D4's at work and tbh don't like em plus they wear down very quickly 5-6k max, in the snow the other year they were pretty poor,

Wife had some Dynapro's on her FL2 and tbh they were a good tyre, hard wearing and held the road, we still have them as spares but last winter pur some Wintracs on and ran them through the snow etc, wife said they did not feel as good as the Dynapro's, done about 10k on them just normal roads and they are down to 6mm so will be swapping them after winter for some GG AT's. I have run some GG AT's on my D3 for past few months and very happy with them Thumbs Up

Post #210736 11th Dec 2013 10:48 pm
trawlerman66

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Mauritius Blue

Had them on my last FL2 (my11 hse) and found there to be excessive tread wear on the outer edge of the tyres. Dealer told me that the pirelli has a soft tyre wall and gives a bit more on cornering.

Glad to be back to goodyears. MY13- TD4 XS Mauritius Blue, Privacy glass, Cold climate pack, Tailgate spoiler, Armrest pack, LED signature, Body side mouldings, Full size spare and finally Mudflaps

GONE - MY11 TD4 HSE LAGO GREY Privacy Glass

GONE- 08 GS Stornoway Grey Privacy Glass
GONE- 07 GS Stornoway Grey Privacy Glass
GONE- 04 Silver

Post #210795 12th Dec 2013 3:03 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
apc67

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Finally changed my Scorpions after 44k, totally even wear down to the tread indicator and I have replaced them with The Scorpion Verde 107V tyres. 44k was pretty impressive I thought from one set of tyres!!

Post #210972 14th Dec 2013 12:39 am
Past master

United Kingdom 

My Scorpions have done 7k and the wear so far is negligible. Don't know what they are like in the snow, and shan't find out, as I've just swapped them for the Wintracs!
Following which, speaking as someone who has never seen the point of the obsession with wheels that some have on here, I'm amazed how different the car looks going from 18" back to 17". Beginning to see why people change their wheels.

Post #211152 15th Dec 2013 11:34 pm
stevep999

United Kingdom 

I've got these but the website shows them as being poor for mpg ?

Comments....

Post #211572 20th Dec 2013 1:29 pm
kimosabe

2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver
Re: Pirelli scorpion zero tyres

andycwb wrote:

Andy

They are NOT 'Winter' tyres and they are not designed to be driven on snow or ice. I think British drivers need to accept the wisdom of those who regularly drive in sub-arctic Winter conditions.

If it's of any consolation, I bought a separate set of wheels and tyres for use on 'Mud & Snow' which were as dangerous as my non-Winter 19" Continentals last Winter. My intention was to only drive when the icy conditions had thawed or on the wet, slushy snow we get during Winter in the UK.

No amount of 4x4, HDC, ESP, ABS or IAM F1rst & RoADAR Gold helped in any way, as the laws of physics still applied. If you want to drive on snow or ice, please invest in a set of tyres (on a separate set of wheels if you can) which are designed for that purpose. Whereabouts unknown stop going to follow stream until reach civilisation stop message ends

Post #213005 5th Jan 2014 6:16 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>