Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Roading & Green Laning > Trying a couple of Derbyshire Lanes?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
JCFRL2

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black
Trying a couple of Derbyshire Lanes?

Hi. I was thinking of trying a couple of short lanes around Buxton and just wondered if anyone is able to confirm the legal status of them and if anyone has driven them and knew what they were like (eg am I likely to put scratches down the paintwork, or might I get stuck or damage the underside bottoming out!?)
Didn't have great luck on my last short BOAT after some heavily overgrown vegetation!

The first was from Elnor lane, along old road which joins into Long Hill (A5004). Trail wise seems to show it as a UCR leading into a BOAT.

The second is the old Roman Road which runs from the A537 (near the cat and fiddle ) into Macclesfield Old Rd. there are lots of videos of trail bikers using this route and my OS map (which is a bit old) shows it as an ORPA but on trailwise it's a kind of browny/mauve colour which doesn't seem to match anything in the key?

Anyone driven either of these or can comment on there status?

Thanks

JC

Post #184319 17th May 2013 12:44 am
DrRpb

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey

You essentially need to either:
1) The "DIY option" = Check with the local council Rights of Way Dept if they have full vehicular rights via their Definitive Map (some councils have them online e.g. Hampshire). Usually there is also a list of current TRO's on their website OR
2) The "Someone else has done the work option" = Join a local 4x4 club who's Rights of Way officer will assist and you can join like minded individuals.

I did option 1 for my local Hampshire lanes. Bought the 1:25,000 OS Maps and marked them up after consulting the online mapping system and TRO list.

If I was closer then I'd show you the ropes.......

Rob * GONE. GS TD4 Manual MY2013. Orkney Grey with privacy, cold and clearview packs, armrests (a must!) and a spoiler.
* 2011 4.4 TDV8 Full Fat. Amazing piece of kit.
* GONE.2012 RR Sport HSE SDV6 Orkney Grey. Rocket ship. 33mpg.
* Range Rover Classic '93 200Tdi Factory fit
* 1949 80" in family since 1975 Smile

Post #184329 17th May 2013 7:58 am
Bertie67

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Orkney Grey

Hi JC

I've tried the old roman road from the Cat and fiddle end a couple of times, first time in my old Disco 3 and then later when i swapped it for my Freelander 2.

The route is passable easy enough in either vehicle, and the FL2 did it quite easily, although the low range of the Disco helps to go slower at times, as it does get very rocky in places, and going slower does help the fillings to stay in. Don't worry about scratching your paint as it's as wide as the M6 all the way along.

As far as i know it's fine to drive up that road, there are no signs saying you can't, and i do see quite alot of bikes and 4x4's up it, as i walk the area quite often, usualy with peak part officers parked at the Goyt vally end, as there's a hut there, where they have their many cups of tea.

Have a go, take it steady, and enjoy what the old girl can do. Very Happy Stay Dirty

Post #203549 17th Oct 2013 9:59 pm
DrRpb

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey

Is it a legal right of way? If not, don't drive it. * GONE. GS TD4 Manual MY2013. Orkney Grey with privacy, cold and clearview packs, armrests (a must!) and a spoiler.
* 2011 4.4 TDV8 Full Fat. Amazing piece of kit.
* GONE.2012 RR Sport HSE SDV6 Orkney Grey. Rocket ship. 33mpg.
* Range Rover Classic '93 200Tdi Factory fit
* 1949 80" in family since 1975 Smile

Post #203575 18th Oct 2013 7:57 am
Bertie67

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Orkney Grey

Hi Again

Completly agree about using the proper lanes for off roading, nothing worse than walking along a path for pedestrians only, and a gang of trial bike riders spoiling the peace.

I had a look at the Derbyshire CC web site to see what info they have, and to my suprise, they had a full map of adopted roads in the county.

Hopefully you can see the attached screen shot, with the lane in question against the red dotted line. If i'm reading this right, it's an adopted road.

Very Happy

Click image to enlarge

I'm happy to be told otherwise, but as far as i can see it's OK to use, and to be honest, i do see quite a bit of traffic up it.

All the best Stay Dirty

Post #204270 22nd Oct 2013 9:53 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1