« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Maybe a turbo problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
tomle3

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey
Maybe a turbo problem

I have a 07 freely probably one of the first out of the factory. I have owned it around a year with no problems apart from the odd minor thing.

Just recently however it has started acting strangely. If you are cruising at a steady speed say 30 through a built up area it will occasionally start too judder and when you give it a little more throttle which stops it juddering it chucks a bucket load of thick blue smoke out the back. I know diesels do smoke especially when overtaking but mine never used too to much. But now it's just clouds of the stuff

Does this sound like the turbo is on the way out. If so should I have it looked at or carry on with it until it gets worse. I don't want to course serious damage to the engine.

Or could it be something else fuel filter maybe although I had it serviced 6 months ago

Any help would be appreciated.

Btw the car in question is a 56 plate GS TD4 with 70000 miles on the clock.

Post #194509 11th Aug 2013 6:39 pm
EYorkshire

Possibility of the EGR valve sticking/stuck, but are you sure it is blue smoke and not black?
Are there any messages in the message centre?
Black is incomplete combustion whereas blue is more associated with engine oil being burnt.

Post #194512 11th Aug 2013 6:47 pm
tomle3

Not sure could be black seems a bit blue from the rear view mirror it's not burning any engine oil I check it religiously and only needs topping up very rarely.

Post #194514 11th Aug 2013 6:51 pm
EYorkshire

It could be a number of things, as well as the EGR valve it could be overfuelling due to a sensor etc. I would get it read for fault codes.

Post #194515 11th Aug 2013 6:54 pm
tomle3

I'll se if I can get it plugged in. Do I need to go to a main stealer or can a local garage do that sort of thing.

Post #194516 11th Aug 2013 6:56 pm
EYorkshire

Dealer I'm afraid unless your local has the right equipment, you do really need to narrow down the problem if possible rather than guess at it and hopefully a fault code will do that.

Post #194518 11th Aug 2013 7:00 pm
Kabous1

South Africa 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Ipanema Sand

Mine did the exact same, not 2 weeks ago... Independent workshop told me it was the turbo, which was then replaced and this still didn't fix the problem. Censored

I then checked the intercooler piping myself and found the rubber pipe, where it goes into the electronic throttle, completely torn. Bought some silicone hose, replaced the torn pipe and this sorted the boost leak.

The boost leak caused it to over fuel, hence the clouds of black smoke out the back.

This is the part number, LR002589. Mine tore on the upper most rubber pipe.

My landy is now back to normal, no more smoke and pulling like a train. Very Happy

Just unfortunate that it cost me a turbo replacement which didn't sort the problem.... Censored

Post #194527 11th Aug 2013 7:54 pm
tomle3

I'll have a look myself in the morning and report back. Hopefully it is just a leaky pipe. Iv just got back from town with the mrs and it seems to be getting worse.

Post #194555 11th Aug 2013 9:26 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

It does hack me off when people call dealers 'stealers'. Completely unjustified. Build up a good relationship with them and you will get good service and good pricing.

Sorry for the rant, but if a person goes into a dealer with the attitude that they will get ripped off, they won't build that trust with the dealer. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #194656 12th Aug 2013 5:17 pm
flylr

2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

Kabous1 wrote:
Mine did the exact same, not 2 weeks ago... Independent workshop told me it was the turbo, which was then replaced and this still didn't fix the problem. Censored

I then checked the intercooler piping myself and found the rubber pipe, where it goes into the electronic throttle, completely torn. Bought some silicone hose, replaced the torn pipe and this sorted the boost leak.

The boost leak caused it to over fuel, hence the clouds of black smoke out the back.

This is the part number, LR002589. Mine tore on the upper most rubber pipe.

My landy is now back to normal, no more smoke and pulling like a train. Very Happy

Just unfortunate that it cost me a turbo replacement which didn't sort the problem.... Censored

I wouldn't stand for that. I'd get a large wedge of money back from them!! (Coming) 2016 RR Evoque td4 180 HSE Dynamc
(Going) 2013 TD4 GS Auto - Santorini Black with black leather. Cold Climate, UK Lighting & Armrest Packs. Privacy Glass. LR Rubber Mats. Full size spare.
60 000 miles averaging 35mpg

(Gone) 2010 TD4 Manual GS - Stornoway Grey. Sold at 3yrs old & 64k miles. Final average consumption 39.2mpg.

Post #194661 12th Aug 2013 6:33 pm
tomle3

Kabous1 thanks for writing on this thread!!

I have checked under the bonet today and felt around and have found a split in the intercooler pipe exactly how you said. I will order the replacement part tonight and will fit it as soon as it comes. In the meantime a bit of duct tape seems to be holding

once again this forum has saved me possibaly a large amount of money THANKS!!

p.s. Mav71 im sorry if i have coursed you any offence this was not my intention im sure not all dealers are crooks however I have had a bad experieance with my local LR dealer which will remain anonymous

Post #194826 13th Aug 2013 10:33 pm
porteouz

2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Mav71 wrote:
It does hack me off when people call dealers 'stealers'. Completely unjustified. Build up a good relationship with them and you will get good service and good pricing.

Sorry for the rant, but if a person goes into a dealer with the attitude that they will get ripped off, they won't build that trust with the dealer.

This made me laugh. You can work up as much a relationship as you want, it makes no difference they will still charge you the earth for most things. Its they way they do their business, its how they make their money. 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE
2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE - Gone

Post #194908 14th Aug 2013 6:38 pm
tomle3

Just a quick update. The new inter cooler pipe arrived on Thursday at a cost of 」60
After a lot of struggling (seems like when they build a freelander they start with that pipe and build the car around it) I got it fitted and every thing is back too normal.

Thanks again too Kabous1 and this forum possibly saving me quite a lot of money.

Post #195381 17th Aug 2013 5:42 pm
Kabous1

South Africa 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Ipanema Sand

Yeah, I agree with you it's not the easiest space to work in to replace the pipe.

Glad your car is sorted now Thumbs Up

Post #195554 19th Aug 2013 9:34 am
Badger1970

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

porteouz wrote:
Mav71 wrote:

Sorry for the rant, but if a person goes into a dealer with the attitude that they will get ripped off, they won't build that trust with the dealer.

This made me laugh. You can work up as much a relationship as you want, it makes no difference they will still charge you the earth for most things. Its they way they do their business, its how they make their money.

I disagree....I have experienced First-class Service from a Dealer in Cumbria this weekend, and whilst they made a profit, they made less than some of the Pendragon/Sytner operations would have had I done the deal with one of them.

Currently, I am sitting in the reception of Lancaster's Slough, drinking their coffee whilst I have my sidesteps, lamp guards and Mudflaps refitted from my old car. The total cost for this is nothing/nada/zero....not even a charge for the clips and rivets! So it's probably best not to tar them all with the same brush, as it is evident that they are very clearly NOT all one and the same!! Foraging near Gaydon....
覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
MY13 HSE Lux SD4, Baltic Blue - current, 30,000> miles without fault
MY12 HSE 2.2 SD4, Sumatra Black - gone after 10 months/43,000 fault-free miles

Post #195565 19th Aug 2013 10:34 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>