« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > How to mount a winch
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
MihaiB

Romania 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver
How to mount a winch

I am looking at the potential options to mount a winch on the Freelander 2 and I wanted to ask if anyone did this or can help with advice.

So far, the only winch I've seen on a Freelander 2 is the one in the picture below, fitted in Romania for Land Rover Academy some years ago.

Click image to enlarge

Another option would be the Taubenreuther mounting kit, described here: http://www.taubenreuther-shop.co.uk/shop/i..._documents. In the documents section there is a PDF with installation instructions and on the last page there is a picture showing how it fits. I am unsure however if this would fit on any LR2 or if certain modifications are necessary.

In both cases, the winch is quite exposed and can be easily damaged if hit. Probably, it would be not recommended to leave it fitted on except for when going offroad.

Are there any options available? Did anyone found something like a bumper with a winch mount or something similar?

Post #133074 22nd Feb 2012 11:10 am
Liberty555

Australia 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I know this may not be all that relevant to you (as I live in Australia) but here you wouldn't be permitted to install a winch like that as it protrudes too far and would be a serious risk to pedestrians.

Methinks if you want a winch that bad, get an old Series vehicle or 90/110 and do it properly.

Just my opinion of course.

Post #133332 24th Feb 2012 5:55 am
mjk

Poland 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Lago Grey

All - just wanted to draw your attention to the Freelanders presented at this website:
http://www.czerwonesamochody.com/categories.php?cat_id=386

They are all equiped with a winch, neatly built into the car's body. So it looks like, it's all doable, but the main question remains: how?

Post #193853 6th Aug 2013 3:10 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

Hmm - is that a winch? I'm not sure, it could just be a permanently-attached tow rope.

The radiator is not far behind the bumper, and I wouldn't have thought there'd be room there for a winch. And the cable doesn't look like a typical steel winch cable - more like a tow rope. The slot the cable comes from looks a bit flimsy for a winch fairlead too.

And yet there's something which looks like an electrical socket next to the LR badge in the grille. But, again, it doesn't look sufficiently heavy duty for a winch controller.

It just doesn't look right for a 'proper' winch.

Post #193869 6th Aug 2013 6:35 pm
Davidspect

pab wrote:

And yet there's something which looks like an electrical socket next to the LR badge in the grille.

"Should have gone to spec-savers", its a broken grille.

Post #193881 6th Aug 2013 7:31 pm
pab

Davidspect wrote:
pab wrote:

And yet there's something which looks like an electrical socket next to the LR badge in the grille.

"Should have gone to spec-savers", its a broken grille.

Nope - if you look at all the pictures there's one which clearly shows a plastic socket of some kind, with a flip top. Although I admit some of the pics look either broken, or simply where the whatever-it-is has been removed.

Post #193918 6th Aug 2013 8:28 pm
Davidspect

One seems to have survived, ridiculous place to mount onto a flimsy piece of plastic.

Post #193941 6th Aug 2013 10:47 pm
mjk

I did a bit of further research. Having found a website of the company that has prepared this car for the police (which BTW is an authorized LR dealer), I am inclining towards a conclusion this is absolutely real equipment.

Please have a look: http://pojazdy-specjalne.pl/oferta_sluzby_specjalne_policja.php

Some additional details on the installation has been done can be seen on the 5th pic.

Post #193960 7th Aug 2013 9:02 am
pab

That 5th picture certainly looks interesting. The thickness of the rope compared with the size of the drum looks as though it would limit the pull somewhat, but quite likely adequate for pulling the odd car out of a ditch. I don't know how well it would perform as an off-road winch though. It would be interesting to know more.

Post #193970 7th Aug 2013 10:05 am
mjk

I think I will give them a call to find out more. Will keep you posed.

Post #193983 7th Aug 2013 12:52 pm
Alan7140

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Fuji White

The cable colour is a giveaway - it's a Superwinch:

http://www.superwinch.com/p/talon-14-0-sr-...-12v?pp=12

Either this model or the 18,000 lb model.

Post #194038 8th Aug 2013 3:00 am
Sparkes

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver

I was looking at mounting w winch that mounted on a tow hook and powered off it so it could be easily removed. Although at the rear it would still get you out of those muddy situations.

Any thoughts on practicality??

Post #194129 8th Aug 2013 8:05 pm
dewaldb

South Africa 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Zermatt Silver

Hi Sparkes,
I would opt for that if I had to use a winch. What I would do is fit a winch on a metal plate-let's call it a winch plate. Make this plate to fit unto where a detachable towbar would go on and you have a winch you can use only when needed. If you travel in a group and all the vehicles are fitted with a detachable toward (aftermarket as I don't think the oe detachable bar has a square mount), one winch can be used in the convoy.

I have a metal front bumper on my freelander which is mounted unto the front end by removing the "stiffner". The front bumper has brackets which mounts unto the frame by using these 4 bolts.on each side where the stiffner was connected to the frame.
I assume if you would wanted to fit a winch in the front bumper one can use the same principal by fitting a strong plate in place of the stiffner and mounting the winch on this. What I have noticed though is that after my metal bumper was fitted I lost about 1 mm in clearance. (I have 3mm spacers fitted which compensates for this)

Having a winch permanently fitted in the front also add more weight and one will have to weigh up the pros and cons I guess.

I however think that a removable winch makes more sence.

Post #194162 8th Aug 2013 10:58 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Alan7140

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Fuji White

Sounds more like you want a Tirfor hand winch - powered by your muscles but can be mounted on any tow point on the vehicle to pull in either direction.

http://www.tractel.com/en/series.php?id_serie=47
http://www.tractel.com/files/131711277113317.pdf

I carry my TU-16 on the FL2 floor with the back seat folded down where it fits with no problem, the detachable handle fits in the space next to the driver's seat and door, and the cable coil sits neatly inside the wasted space inside the spare wheel (I wrap a piece of carpet around the coil to protect the inside of the wheel, and also to provide a snug, rattle-free fit).

I've had this winch since the late 1970's, during which time I've had at least 5 different makes of 4x4 and 10 different vehicles, so there's no problem transferring the winch every time you change vehicles and effectively it is the only winch you'll probably ever have to buy. It has rescued me from several stuck moments in the past and I've also used it to safely fell trees which I couldn't even get a vehicle near to.

If all you'll need it for is occasional recovery purposes then this winch is probably all you'll ever need, just it does take a bit of work to use and the limited cable length means you'll probably have to buy a sling and extension strap or rope as well.

It also means you don't have to carry the weight of the winch around every time you use the vehicle as with a fitted winch (the steel rope makes winches heavy = fuel consumption increase, front suspension wear), nor do you have to install an extra battery as a security measure as you'll probably have to do with an electric winch wherever you mount it.

Post #194164 8th Aug 2013 11:08 pm
dewaldb

South Africa 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Zermatt Silver

Hi Alan,

That's perfect! Thumbs Up

I forgot about a tirfor winch but have seen these before. This would be my first choice!

Very Happy

Post #194166 8th Aug 2013 11:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>