Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > MY 2013 Tow Bar : Needs a recode?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
steelfish

2013 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Fuji White
MY 2013 Tow Bar : Needs a recode?

Hi All,

I did a search and can't seem to find a definitive answer. I've ordered a Witter swan neck tow bar and 7 pin vehicle specific electrics (direct from their site), to be fitted in a few days. Thing is, despite finding my car my registration number at pre-order stage, my order confirmation email listed my FL2 as "LAND ROVER, FREELANDER, 2.2 TD4 XS (MK2) 5dr ESTATE (2010 on)". Clearly my car is a 2013 MY car, 2010 makes me nervous.

I therefore queried whether I'd ordered the right electrics, and whether they'd require a recode. This is my reply:

"The electrics you selected are correct for the vehicle.
The recoding side is a bit more complicated in the fact that some cars need recoding and some don't and that would be a separate issue apart from the Towbar fitting."

So, I'm about to cancel the order seeing as disappointingly Witter cannot confirm whether I'll have the added expense of a recode. However, does anyone know definitively whether or not my MY 2013 XS will need a recode, please?

Total price is 350 incl. fitting - alternatively, if anyone knows of a supplier who can fit a swanneck towbar in Leeds and guarantee I'll have no issues with recoding, I'm all ears. Thank you in advance.

Post #193016 29th Jul 2013 7:34 pm
Jimski

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic16089.html

I asked this exact same question not long ago. Top and bottom of it is, it depends on what wiring loom they use. If its VSK (vehicle specific) for canbus then it should be ok. But when I asked my independent he said yes it would need a quick code.

Its not a big job, literally, plug and play with a tweak. Your local independent can sort it. Its just the diagnostic tool 2013 FL2 - Black Edition Auto
2013 FL2 - Black Edition Manual GONE!
Founder of the 'Microscopic LR Spoiler Badge Club'
Destroyer of chrome rears.....

Post #193019 29th Jul 2013 7:48 pm
steelfish

Jimski wrote:
http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic16089.html

I asked this exact same question not long ago. Top and bottom of it is, it depends on what wiring loom they use. If its VSK (vehicle specific) for canbus then it should be ok. But when I asked my independent he said yes it would need a quick code.

Its not a big job, literally, plug and play with a tweak. Your local independent can sort it. Its just the diagnostic tool

Thanks for that. I have just cancelled my order though as it'll be at least a couple of weeks before I can get in for a recode. Neither Witter or Landrover could tell me whether I'd have any adverse effects of driving about for a while with an uncoded tow bar on.

Post #193104 30th Jul 2013 11:58 am
dpcwright

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Baltic Blue

If it is uncoded and should be coded none of the lights work and the parking sensors assume that there is something close and sound all the time - apart from that no other hassles.
I had my tow bar like that for a few days prior to getting it coded by my LR agent which cost £57 and then all worked.

Post #193112 30th Jul 2013 1:50 pm
ad210358

England 

There is a post in the link below that suggests that the ECU does not need coding on the MY13

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic14830.html? p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #193115 30th Jul 2013 2:38 pm
steelfish

Yes I spotted that. Quite annoying that there doesn't appear to be a cut and dried answer to this.

I thought Landrover would be able to tell me straight away, but even they needed some thinking time before telling me it would need a recode.

Post #193117 30th Jul 2013 2:49 pm
Gazdiver

i fitted landrover electrics and removable tow bar to my Mrs MY13 Freelander and no it did not need any coding or switching on at all just 1 relay and 2 fuses which came with kit and Done TBH genuine loom was only about £80 not worth Censored about IMHO with Witter looms at that price

GD

Post #193149 30th Jul 2013 9:56 pm
steelfish

Thanks Gaz.

Don't suppose you kept a link as to where you got the kit from do you?

Post #193150 30th Jul 2013 10:01 pm
Gazdiver

Sent you a PM Thumbs Up

Post #193202 31st Jul 2013 6:59 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1