Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Roof rack on Freelander 2 with Panoramic Sunroof
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
cupasoup

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
Roof rack on Freelander 2 with Panoramic Sunroof

Hi all,

I have a Freelander 2, 2008 with a panoramic sunroof. My family and I are off to France on holiday for a week and, due to a recent addition to the family, need the additional space that a roof box would give.

I don't have roof rails and, to be honest, it is likely that we'll do this trip and won't need this facility for another year (at least) so I am reluctant to spend £300+ on roof rails plus the bars...

I am therefore looking at getting the Thule RapidFit 754 plus the 1443 fitting kit which are designed for the Freelander 2, however, I am struggling to get an answer on whether this is a problem with the panoramic sunroof as rumours are that it might be. My local landrover dealer is pushing me down the lines of the roof rails and can't recommend anything else - which is helpful (not) but not unexpected from a MD and the couple of thule dealers that I have spoken to can't tell me either

Any users have done this or got the right answer from Thule/Land Rover?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Post #190816 9th Jul 2013 12:12 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

LR can't recommend anything else that what they sell, after all they want you to buy theirs, but if they did say you could then they could be liable

I have had thule roof rails on my old FL2 without issue and that had a sunroof, the feet stand on metal roof on the glass, but then i only carried a pair of ladders and some snowboards on mine Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #190824 9th Jul 2013 2:18 pm
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

Got a set of Thule roof bars and feet, used them on both my Freelander 2's with sunroof without problems. Feet wrap around the door frame and don't touch the glass. Have used them with both a roof box and ski rack.
Got mine from www.roofbox.co.uk but there are other equally good suppliers.

Post #190858 9th Jul 2013 7:54 pm
cupasoup

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Thanks guys - good to hear. Didn't expect LR to say anything different but thought I'd try

A couple of Thule dealers have come back to me and confirmed that the rapid fix can go on a panoramic FL2 so I think that's good enough for me

My additional nervousness stems from the fact that last year the sunroof exploded on the FL2 on the way home from south of France. Not nice for my little one or my (then) pregnant wife. Cost a fortune to replace as LR wanted nothing to do with it... Didn't want to go through that again due to the roofbars..

Post #190866 9th Jul 2013 10:00 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1