Home > Off Topic > company car & take the tax hit ? or lease
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue
company car & take the tax hit ? or lease

Hi Guys
looking for some idea's may change job & go back to a company car aaaaaaaahhhhhhh TAX !
what's the best, ask for an allowance, & lease my own ? or just take the hit.

One of my previous jobs I had a Merc E250 cost around 44K and my oh my i was hit hard for tax and I used to use anything up too £270.00 in fuel in a day ! yeah it was a petrol supercharged & not frugal at all. When I left the job my tax bill for fuel in kind took about 18 months to pay off !
most annoying part was I didn't even use the car for any of my own use as I had suffered enough driving 6-800 miles a day in it & was always glad to leave it parked up weekends !

I used Passats previous which were very good , excellent for daily runs up north & back but the last one was a highline 170 auto & that cost me dear as well, hardly worth working harder to achieve the higher status
Rgds OG ( I suspect I will be doing 2-300 miles a day again ! )
Over to the company car experts that have worked it all out before Bow down

Post #184058 15th May 2013 8:50 am
tims

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Orkney Grey

Unfortunately the answer tends to boil down to "it depends" based on your employment, salary / tax bands etc....

I was in a similar situation though with significantly less mileage, and ended up working through all the various options and concluding that opting out of the company car scheme in favour of taking a car allowance & arranging my own lease/PCP.

End result was a better car, more flexibility in terms of choice, lower tax & a few quid difference in terms of net cost on a monthly basis.

There's isn't a one-size-that-fits-all solution unfortunately.. took a while to work through all the costings for company car schemes (i.e. tax) vs leases vs PCPs but it's an exercise well worth doing to understand the costs/benefits involved before making a decision.

Post #184081 15th May 2013 1:57 pm
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

What a nice problem to be saddled with Whistle MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #184084 15th May 2013 2:18 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

just make sure you keep the nice tax people informed

when i had my old FL2 through the company, the accountant forgot to inform them of the change, so i had to make double payments the following year for the car and the personal use of company fuel Censored Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #184089 15th May 2013 2:31 pm
tims

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Orkney Grey

Can sympathise entirely with npinks... also don't rely on your company's payroll team to keep the tax man informed on a timely basis.

As soon as anything changes with your company car etc., give them a call and let them know; much easier than sorting out a mess afterwards or paying more than you need to.

Post #184090 15th May 2013 2:33 pm
GJH0702

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Sumatra Black

I like freedom of choice until tyres & service then miss that nice fleet card !!! 2011 XS,Sumatra Black, GONE MARCH 2014- RR Evoque Prestige 5 door ,MY 2014,Loire Blue, Silver Roof, Panoramic roof.
MY 2016 Disco Sport HSE Auto Scotia Grey,REJECTED
Mercedes E220D AMG line with air suspension(Gone)
DS 200 SE Dynamic my 21 (Gone)
DS 200 SE Dynamic my 22 (Gone)
Audi Q5 40TDI S line (gone)
Discovery Sport D200 S 2024 MY

Post #184116 15th May 2013 6:54 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

3 series efficient dynamics or Audi A4 Technik, low company car tax bill based on co emissions , 300 miles a day driving comfort, still be tight as new in three years, and both will return high 40s mpg to 50s in mixed driving so if you do less than say 13500 miles per annum private you can be in pocket rather than pay a fixed fuel benefit tax,

No insurance worries, no damage worries, no service worries, and the true annual cost is no worse than the depreciation on a new car and better than if you consider the cost of finance. Of course if you are are a car buff and bothered what you drive that might be a problem depending on your scheme, if like me your not arsed as long as it has 4 wheels and an engine take the company motor Rolling with laughter 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #184129 15th May 2013 9:04 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

This is really, really sad news, but my current FL2 will be my last Big Cry Ever increasing company car tax has finally killed it off, with the IR now taking too much from both me and the company to justify continuing. It would appear that the IR have finally killed the goose that lays the golden egg....

With what the IR are planning over the next 3 years, I would certainly think twice before taking one on as a company car.

Ironically, this means that my next company car can no longer be British, but will now be a Vauxhall, imported from the US. This should take my monthly tax bill down from £280 to around £50. And the next time that the politicians complain that the country grinds to a halt with a little snow, I'd like them to remember who taxed me out of my Land Rover Censored

Post #184294 16th May 2013 9:17 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

What are the IR planning in company car tax? Shocked here's me thinking of coming back with a d4 Shocked Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #184295 16th May 2013 9:22 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

There's nothing too drastic as far as the employee is concerned, just the perpetual, above inflation, increase in rates every year.

The killer blow is the way that the IR will be savagely restricting tax allowances for employers where vehicles are 130g and above. I'm just trying to find a link to it now.

Post #184298 16th May 2013 9:40 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

A 45 grand D4 will attract about 6250 squids worth of income tax this year rising every year until 2015 Big Cry if you take company fuel on it your bill will be over 3 grand ! Still it's all relative to your income , but I considered a Freelander as a company car and the lease prices and income tax were plain daft compared to similar list priced and much cleaner engined offerings from the Master Race Motor Manufacturers. 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #184300 16th May 2013 9:43 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

npinks wrote:
What are the IR planning in company car tax? Shocked here's me thinking of coming back with a d4 Shocked

Warning: What is about to follow is extremely dull and best read out loud by people with Adenoids Rolling Eyes

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/capital-allowances/plant.htm#7

It's all to do with the employer's Capital Allowances, which have been greatly restricted for vehicles of over 130g from April 2013.

Post #184301 16th May 2013 9:54 pm
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

I had a company car from 1997 to 2008 and due to emissions etc I was always forced to have a small engined basic spec car to keep the tax bill down. Done a deal with my boss to have extra paid into my salary and i private leased a FL2, on the upside the 45p per mile earns me extra dough (yes even with the relatively poor mpg compared to other diesels) but the downer is servicing costs have to be met by me (although what extra I make in fuel allowance covers this) and tyres have to be paid for (although in 3 years of my last FL2 i only ever bought 2 tyres and that was due to punctures!)

Always remember private lease is + VAT and whilst it looks expensive just remember after your contract you can hand the keys back and walk away (just in time for the warranty to run out and lease a new one) Thumbs Up

Post #184365 17th May 2013 3:05 pm
richardk

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Aintree Green

in the right situation a lease/company car is the most cost effective motoring but you have to choose the vehicle carefully. The lower the CO2 the better.

When mine's up for renewal I'm likely going for the Toyota Auris hybrid with 91 CO2 and an auto box and built in Britain.

This keeps the BIK as low as possible

Post #184389 17th May 2013 6:04 pm
taztastic

England 

Toyota Auris Hybrid, you need whipping with a dipstick Laughing

Post #184392 17th May 2013 6:12 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>