Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Oil change & brake fluid change 2008 FR2
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
roland90

Oil change & brake fluid change 2008 FR2

This topic has been covered before but i thought i'd add some tips i found usefull following my recent oil and filter change.
To enable access remove the steel engine bottom cover plate.
Removerd the front towing eye cover and removed the screws holding the bottom front crossmember plastic cover. ThIs won't come out but it can be moved out of the way to give much more access.
Then loosen the two pipe clips fron the plastic air pipe that runs in front of the oil filter.then remove the pipe, this is only takes a moment and the extra access it gives is usuful.

It is as now an easy job to change the oil and filter.

When putting back the parts I apply grease to all secews and bolts making them easy to remove if needed in the future.

Having done the work myself it was obvious that the bottom cover had never previously been removed and even thought the car had a full servive history i would very much doubt by the state of the oil filter that it had been changed recently, if at all. Many garages and service stations use a suction tube down the diptick tube to remove the oil and if too difficult miss out the filter.

I followed on with a brake fluid change which again is another easy job. Using a brake bleed tube on the farthest away wheel cylinder bleed nipple just pump through fluid untill it runs clean making sure the reservoir never empties. ( my fluid had never been changes and was quite dark). follow the same procedure on the other cylinders (farthest to nearest) untill clean new fluid runs from each cylinder. Job done.

The diesel filter was also changed and i must admit i forked out for the genuine bleed pump which i got of Ebay for £44 which when i came to do the job i was very greatful i had.

Total cost for parts
£61 for genuine parts service kit (oil, fuel,air & cabin filter. Sump plug washer,)
£50 for oil and brake fluid (unipart)
£44 Fuel bleed serive tool (i can use again and again)

I dread to think how all this would cost at a garage!!

Hope this all helps

Roland

Post #181646 25th Apr 2013 9:34 am
freedieselauto

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Rimini Red

I was interested to read that you removed the plastic cover and air pipe to get to the oil filter. I recently replaced my filter and managed to fill my sleeve with used oil when removing the filter housing. I have done this twice before without a problem so I must have tipped it as I extracted it. Maybe your method is cleaner.

Loading the fuel filter is fiddly with a syringe but work well enough but probably much quicker with your pump.

I also need to replace my brake fluid so I was reassured that you found it straightforward.

You have probably saved yourself £400+ after the cost of parts. Satisfying, isn't it? It's the only way to know that the work has been done properly.

Perhaps we need a "super-scrimpers" area. Thumbs Up - 2007(57) XS Auto, Rimini Red, Alpaca Leather.
- GCS Hawke - Sports, BRG, Vulcan 2.1 inj'. My toy - built it myself in 2001.

Post #181655 25th Apr 2013 10:25 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1