Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Bio-diesel in Freelander 2?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Food riots in some parts of the world are predicted if this years world harvest isn't up to scratch Exclamation Food levels in the world are at a seriously low level due to Europe and the USA no longer having the food mountains they were so derided for having (it always pays to keep some spare), Poor harvests last year (esp in Australia) had a major affect. Also increased demand for higher quality food in China,India etc. Also President Bush is keen for the USA to grow its own fuel so 1000's of tonnes of Soya beans have been diverted from food uses to bio-ethanol production. Our own terrible summer last year did affect the UK harvest but that is just a speck compared to the total world harvest.
Good for me as a UK farmer? yes and no . I do get a greatly increased price for my crops but I now have to pay a greatly increased price for the food for my beloved chickens. So the price of chicken will have to go up if I am to continue in business. Tescos 2 for £5 offer cannot last long!

My estimate is I can keep the FL2 but a RRS is not in the picture Wink

Outlook for UK food shoppers.. bill are going to rise and stay risen for the foreseeable future At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #18038 15th Apr 2008 10:10 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

good read that CG Thumbs Up

Who buys your chickens, you mention Tesco in the write up, they have started stocking local produce from Yorkshire such as Milk/Dairy and I think my Free Range Chicken said it was a Yorkshire Chicken, (on its label, it had no head Rolling with laughter ) Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #18041 15th Apr 2008 10:41 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

I sell to a company that has contracts with most supermarkets and wholesale/catering outlets. Its rare for a single farmer to deal direct with a supermarket the numbers are just too big.
I'm up all night tonight packing my feathered friends off for a trip to chicken heaven Whistle bless them! At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #18042 15th Apr 2008 10:51 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

then up first thing to collect the next sunday roast Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #18043 15th Apr 2008 10:56 pm
Simmo

United Kingdom 

markconnor33 wrote:
No Paul

Have not tried running on Bio, as my car is on lease, and didn't want to risk any warranty issues.

Will be looking to use on other cars though, and am actually looking at going into small scale production,as there are few suppliers in the Leeds area.

Any pledges of support for a Bio diesel production/sale site in North Leeds?

Regards
Mark

Yes a biodiesel processor for your garage approx £500. I was thinking the same thing.
It seems though after Tonyjones comment that it's a big no no as far as FL2's are concerned. Big Cry
Strange, after doing some research on the subject the overriding impression is that biodiesel is actually
good for your engine as it cleans deposits left by burning fossil fuel, and the only downside is that filters may have to be changed/checked more regularly. Presumably it is something to do with the higher injector pressures of modern diesels Confused I think this needs someone more qualified to comment.
Opinions welcome Thumbs Up -----------------------------------------
TD4 SE Manual, Sold.
I currently own a BMW 530D.WLTB another FL2.

Post #18057 16th Apr 2008 9:48 am
jimbob4755

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

Simmo wrote:
markconnor33 wrote:
No Paul

Have not tried running on Bio, as my car is on lease, and didn't want to risk any warranty issues.

Will be looking to use on other cars though, and am actually looking at going into small scale production,as there are few suppliers in the Leeds area.

Any pledges of support for a Bio diesel production/sale site in North Leeds?

Regards
Mark

Yes a biodiesel processor for your garage approx £500. I was thinking the same thing.
It seems though after Tonyjones comment that it's a big no no as far as FL2's are concerned. Big Cry
Strange, after doing some research on the subject the overriding impression is that biodiesel is actually
good for your engine as it cleans deposits left by burning fossil fuel, and the only downside is that filters may have to be changed/checked more regularly. Presumably it is something to do with the higher injector pressures of modern diesels Confused I think this needs someone more qualified to comment.
Opinions welcome Thumbs Up

Why can't someone invent a method of using of water to turn into a fuel, I bet the water companies wouldn't let so much go to waste then!! Laughing Freelander 2 - SE
Sumatra Black - TD4 -4X4 Jack Russel in boot.

Post #18073 16th Apr 2008 3:44 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Quote:
Why can't someone invent a method of using of water to turn into a fuel, I bet the water companies wouldn't let so much go to waste then!!

You can...........it's called "STEAM" Rolling with laughter ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #18148 17th Apr 2008 1:18 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

UKdave104 wrote:
Quote:
Why can't someone invent a method of using of water to turn into a fuel, I bet the water companies wouldn't let so much go to waste then!!

You can...........it's called "STEAM" Rolling with laughter

pssssssssssssttttttttttt - you need coal or wood or oil or Question to make the steam first Big Cry 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #18149 17th Apr 2008 1:30 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

UKdave104 wrote:
Quote:

Thumbs Up
seems there is Bow down 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #18150 17th Apr 2008 1:35 pm
Matei

Romania 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

AndyC wrote:
UKdave104 wrote:
Quote:

pssssssssssssttttttttttt - you need coal or wood or oil or Question to make the steam first Big Cry

No coal or wood needed. Just drive in a traffic jam or beheind a caravan Wink Sorry meant tractor FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #18151 17th Apr 2008 1:36 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

AndyC wrote:
UKdave104 wrote:
Quote:

Thumbs Up
seems there is Bow down

Thats great that it will run on water, my water rates would go up even further if it came into production

Knowing our luck it will only run on Perrier water at £3.00 a Litre Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #18152 17th Apr 2008 1:56 pm
Matei

Romania 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

npinks wrote:
AndyC wrote:
UKdave104 wrote:
Quote:

Thumbs Up
seems there is Bow down

Thats great that it will run on water, my water rates would go up even further if it came into production

Knowing our luck it will only run on Perrier water at £3.00 a Litre

For sure because they will start purifying the water so that it is EUROWATER 4 FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #18198 18th Apr 2008 6:23 am
markconnor33

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

tonyjones1968

Hi Tony

Interested in your comment about "missfueling" of FL2's

Can you give some more info, on what you mean by "missfueling".

Do you mean people tried to run on waste veg oil, straight veg oil, proper bio diesel,or maybe even petrol instead of diesel.

Or is you comment specific to proper "processed high quality bio-diesel"?

If so, what are the issues that effect FL2 (or any other high pressure common rail/unit injector modern engine)

Regards
Mark Freelander 2
TD4 GS
Shiney fantastic Baltic Blue
Detachable Witter Towbar

Post #18234 18th Apr 2008 5:45 pm
tonyjones1968

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Narvik Black

So far I have dealt with bio fuel mixed past 5% limit,red derv(water+dirt),lots of 'opps ive put petrol in'!!!heating oils and nasty stuff which i think was a parrafin mix!! and thats just fl2s.
In the 67lts tank the most recommended by landrover is 3.4 lts of bio fuel,so is it worth it?
When I submit a wapa/fred auth claim im am asked for a fuel sample,pictures of failed parts and the filter has to be swabbed with a magnet for particals as they get this a lot, and trust me they know and reject claims!!
missfueling stops the H/P pump from being lubricated properly and it breaks up sending small bits throughout the system,they will also restrict the warranty on car so that the engine and fuel system is no longer covered .
to be honest i cannot tell you whats good and whats not its just what we have had to deal with at the branch.
The fl2 seems to go into limp home at the slightest cylinder imballance anyway,and its the first thing we now check for on pre diag checks.
Some have been ok after dropping the tank,draining it, cleaning the lines,rails and replacing the filter but some have not!
The TDV6 in the disco is a lot less tollerant ,it dies (H/P pump)on its own and needs no help!!!!
I hope that this has been of help and has answerd you questions.
Let us all know if you find a mix that they will work at,I run one too and at the current fuel cost any money saved is a bonus however small.

all the best Tony. Thumbs Up

Post #18262 18th Apr 2008 10:24 pm
tonyjones1968

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Narvik Black

Extra note,
Before I came over to Landrover at the start of this year I worked at the Citroen dealer over the road as a consultant tech (master Tech) and we had the same problems their too!

In my experience common rail diesel engines dont like it and I would not bother at all,however most direct injection engines are fine on it ,one member of my staff with a Td5 wont run anything else!!and is gratefull for all we can ask him to dispose off,properly of course!!!!!!!!

Tony

Post #18272 18th Apr 2008 11:16 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>