Home > Technical > 2013 MY new FL2 GS manual- advice sought
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
philip66

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Fuji White
2013 MY new FL2 GS manual- advice sought

Hi guys,

I picked up my new Freelander a month ago ( done 900 miles) and observed the following:

1. the stop/ start doesn't appear to be working despite trying to reset with eco button. In the month temperature have hardly crept above freezing in Derbyshire so it wasn't an issue but today we got 9 degrees and I'd expected it to come to life.. no such luck!
2. The start up in a morning isn't as smooth as the 57 F2 ( a bit ponderous/ noisy) I usually press the button once then wait for it to read the outside temperature then hit it again to start. This second part doesn't quite sound the same as the old one.
3.The Electronic handbrake takes a bit of getting used to and I don't know whether it should come on automatically when stationery and with foot on the brake e.g., when pulling up. Yes it does come on when the engine is switched off and it does release when moving off without any human intervention.

Any thoughts or opinions warmly welcomed! Freelander2 MY2013 manual GS Fuji white. Fog lights and power washers. Previous car Freel 2 GS 57 plate in Stornaway grey(faultless in 5.5years of driving).

Post #179630 10th Apr 2013 10:33 pm
PeakWayfarer

United Kingdom 

Hi
I also have a new (1000 mile) Freelander and exactly the same issue withe the stop start, was beginning to wonder if a fault and then whilst in Derby it just started working again and has been fine since then
Not sure what the conditions are that enable it but suspect its not just temperature
Still working out the handbrake its very clever and the manual is not very descriptive
Lets hope others can advise more

Post #179642 11th Apr 2013 8:46 am
timdonald

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Fuji White

I though the same about the eco stop start but it does work. I think on short journeys less so but when everthing is properly charged and running it stops all the time, especially if you aren't using air con etc. Makes you look like a prize chump at the lights because everybody thinks you've stalled. Also, first few times I instictively jammed my foot back on the clutch as I thought it was about to stall ! Fine when you get used to it.
Not sure about the start up but mine seems fine but didn't have an earlier FL so can't compare.
I think the electronic brake should only come on when the engine stops as yours does. Mine is the same. Not entirely sure about hill starts though as it doesn't seem to hold like my D4 did (but I'm guessing that was just because it was an auto) so you have to either be quick or manually apply the brake.

Post #179651 11th Apr 2013 10:01 am
DrRpb

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey
Re: 2013 MY new FL2 GS manual- advice sought

1) Stop start is a sophisticated system that will only kick in if ECU allows it. Cold spells, recent short trips will all affect it. I disable everytime I start up. Stupid system.
2) Be patient and press once I would suggest. Let it do its thing Thumbs Up
3) It won't come on automatically with foot on brake. I enable it manually then either drive off or disable manually.

Rob * GONE. GS TD4 Manual MY2013. Orkney Grey with privacy, cold and clearview packs, armrests (a must!) and a spoiler.
* 2011 4.4 TDV8 Full Fat. Amazing piece of kit.
* GONE.2012 RR Sport HSE SDV6 Orkney Grey. Rocket ship. 33mpg.
* Range Rover Classic '93 200Tdi Factory fit
* 1949 80" in family since 1975 Smile

Post #179656 11th Apr 2013 12:08 pm
philip66

Appreciate all the sound advice and will give it time before taking it down to the dealer if and when that becomes necessary. IMHO its a fantastic vehicle and FL2 appears to have benefitted ( in terms of technology) from higher spec/ pri Smile ced models. I just hope this MY2013 proves as reliable as my 57GS that didnt have as much a a bulb go in 5.5 years! Freelander2 MY2013 manual GS Fuji white. Fog lights and power washers. Previous car Freel 2 GS 57 plate in Stornaway grey(faultless in 5.5years of driving).

Post #179658 11th Apr 2013 12:23 pm
CRC@LandRover
Verified Account
Verified Account

United Kingdom 

Hi Philip66,

I'm Kelly from Land Rover UK.

I'm sorry to hear that you are having issues with the stop/start on your new Freelander 2.

If you continue to experience these issues and require my assistance in anyway, please feel free to send me a personal message with your full name, VIN number, dealership details, contact number and email address. I will log a case on the system and do what I can to get your issue resolved.

Kind regards,
Kelly Please note that although Jaguar Land Rover will try to assist you with your issue, we are unable to provide any direct technical advice. This account will be available between 0900 and 17:00 hours Monday – Friday. If it is outside of this time, and you require assistance, please feel free to drop us a Private Message and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can

Post #179663 11th Apr 2013 1:19 pm
Boycey

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

Very similar story here. Approx 1 month old and other than on the first day, when it happened twice, the eco stop hasn't come on at all. A bit of a gimmick maybe? On my previous model it didn't get used in over 2 years.

I've had a 57 & 59 plate and this is by far the quietest starter. Also the quickest, so I would keep an eye on that.

As for EPB, I love it. It won't come on when the car is held on the footbrake, but you can apply it on a hill and just leave it on. It will only come off when you start to move, so no danger of rolling backwards if you release it then try to get your clutch bite.

Agree with your general comments. This car has come a long way, and very well equipped now.

Post #179664 11th Apr 2013 1:20 pm
philip66

Boycey...Yes, I remember it working on the first day too now you mention it ( coming out of the show room around pride park), it has since stopped but I've been doing journeys circa 20 miles round trip so engine not really getting warm I'd think. Someone has alluded to it being a sophisticated system so it's not just reading ambient temperature , it must be taking other things into account.

Anyone with a pre MY2013 F2 will see a big improvement in the cabin on the new one although mine is the Accountant's choice e.g. GS ( with a non met colour.. Fuji white!).. good value! Freelander2 MY2013 manual GS Fuji white. Fog lights and power washers. Previous car Freel 2 GS 57 plate in Stornaway grey(faultless in 5.5years of driving).

Post #179795 11th Apr 2013 11:26 pm
philip66

Yesterday the stop start did indeed begin to function due to slightly longer run. It appears that temperature is not the only factor along with other electrical draining items that determines when it kicks in.
Starter is also beginning to sound quite normal and I wondered if it had something to do with the extreme cold weather.
Finally, getting more used to electric handbrake so no problem there either.

Post #179957 13th Apr 2013 11:45 am
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

The following conditions will prevent an
automatic engine stop:
• The external temperature is less than approximately 0 °C (32 °F).
• The external temperature is more than approximately 40 °C (104 °F).
• The engine has not reached operating temperature.
• The driver’s seat belt is not fastened.
• The climate control system demand requires the engine to be running (for example, in Defrost mode).
• The battery charge is low.
• The bonnet is opened.
• Stop/Start is deactivated.

The engine will also restart if one of the following occurs:
• Stop/Start is deactivated.
• The accelerator pedal is pressed.
• Reverse (R) is selected.
• Climate control system demand increases.
• The vehicle’s speed exceeds approximately 1 km/h (0.5 mph).
• Battery charge becomes low.
• Brake vacuum has been reduced (e.g.using the brake pedal repeatedly with the engine off).

Post #179960 13th Apr 2013 12:37 pm
WizzardPrang

England 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Re. Starting from cold, clutch in & press the start button once. The system will start the engine when it's good & ready, e.g., after warming glow plugs if necessary. 2020 Defender D200 110S Pangea Green
Gone: 2018 L550, TD4 SE Tech Auto, Carpathian Grey
Gone: Defender 90 200Tdi, Grey Raptor
Gone: 2012 FL2, TD4 GS Manual, Santorini Black

Post #179964 13th Apr 2013 1:20 pm
si.

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Stornoway Grey

I know the minumum outside air temp should be 0 deg. C. But my engine doesn't stop / start unless the outside temp is over 4-5 deg C, and all the other conditions have been met. Which isn't a problem, as below 4-5 degs C, the climate control will be working hard anyway.... Laughing

Post #180175 14th Apr 2013 9:35 pm
j77

Scotland 

My Evoque has the same problem regarding the stop/start. Doesn't matter what the temperature it just pleases its self when it works, was hoping for better from the 13MY Fl2.

Electric park brake only comes on automatically when engine switched off. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #180200 15th Apr 2013 9:50 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1