« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > should i update free software at service
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
twinkle2222

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
should i update free software at service

I have 5 year service next week , should i ask them to down load all free software updates ?? , or should i stay clear of software updates

thanx

Post #174020 4th Mar 2013 12:46 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I'm in the if it ain't broke don't fix it bracket Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #174022 4th Mar 2013 1:00 pm
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

personally if the car has been running ok and you have been happy with everything I would not ask them to download any new software, as the risk of introducing glitches is too high in my opinion.

Iain

Post #174023 4th Mar 2013 1:01 pm
Andy Jeff

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

This is a tricky one. The LR dealer I use for service doesn't update unless you have a specific problem that I mention, but when talking to an independent that I know about some of my niggles, they usually reply "there's a software update for that!" and they always apply all updates during a service.

Ideally It'd be nice to know what level of update my car was at and what updates there were available. I can pick and choose for my computer or even my phone, why not my car?

Andy.

Post #174024 4th Mar 2013 1:04 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

Wasn't there an update which changed the characteristics of the auto box to reduce stress (and thus failure rates) on the rear diff? If so that might be worth doing. (I'm not sure though - it doesn't apply to me as I don't have an auto. I'm sure someone who does know will be along shortly.)

Post #174025 4th Mar 2013 1:05 pm
Kola's Kab

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey

Hi,

Well our 'other' car is a Jag X type 2.2d so basically the same engine as the LR.

Last year there was a major recall for a potentially 'dangerous' cruise control problem.

Well seeing as we have used the CC very reguarly without a hint of a problem for over 75k miles, I decided to take no action.
It seems the recall was a total remap of the ECU of the engine, and according to the Jag forum I frequent many had all sorts of other problems with the car after this free 'update', indeed at one stage I belive Jag's suspended the recall!

Therefore, I too am firmly in the school of 'If it aint bust, dont fix it!

Hope this helps!

Post #174092 4th Mar 2013 8:16 pm
fredastaire

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black
Software updates

Just as information ; I have a 2010 GS, it was updated on software in Oct 2010 by the main dealer before he sold it as ex demonstrater. I checked both with Liam at LR and when my car went in last week to our local main dealer
Both sources stated that the car is fully up to date and that there were no updates available.

Post #174100 4th Mar 2013 8:37 pm
Andy Jeff

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

Kola's Kab wrote:
Hi,
Well our 'other' car is a Jag X type 2.2d so basically the same engine as the LR.

I thought the 2.2 jag engine was a ford unit (now used in the Defender) and the Freelander was a PSA unit. Completely different!

Andy.

Post #174163 5th Mar 2013 9:47 am
fredastaire

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black
Engine LR & Jag

Re FL2 engine, take a look in the post on 'family tree' the FL started out with Peugeot / Citroen and ended up as a joint development with Ford; it is I believe made at Ford Dagenham but there are suggestions that the LR spec is slightly different to Ford spec. It is suggested that the Jag engine is the same as the FL, however a friend has a Jag based upon Ford Mondeo floor platform and he says most bits have been uprated / changed, so little is interchangeable. The FL2 diesel is labelled as DW12; you can go to a Peugeot spares counter and ask for parts for a DW12, the partsman recognised DW12 however when looking on screen, the cylinder head etc is 100% different! 2010GS Auto ex Celeb, Santorini Black, 2011 facelift , spoiler, spats, mudflaps, LED footwell lamps, Witter detach,
Other cars:-
1958 & 1959 Austin J40 Pedal Cars under restoration (I make many J40 parts)
If you have an Austin J40 or Pathfinder Pedal Car looking for a new home pls PM me.
2009 Meriva

Post #174179 5th Mar 2013 11:19 am
ad210358

England 

And the Turbo different to the Citroen and Peugeot one and the ECU is Mapped differently.

Post #174181 5th Mar 2013 11:25 am
Kola's Kab

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey

Well I didn't expect to start a debate with my original comment but here goes!

My understanding (& I cliam no expertise), is that after Ford bought Jaguar/Land Rover many compnents betwen the marques became common. As far as my Jag is concerned, yes the base platform was Mondeo and many parts shared, for instance brake discs and pads. As far as engine goes the block, crankshaft and pistons are the same, but all the top running gear, cams, valves, head, and turbo, are unique to the Jag ( drive an x-type after a mondeo, and you'll be left in no doubt Wink).

Where when and if Peugeot fits into all this I'm not sure, maybe the original block casting of the engine was french and used on ford, then Jags, then Land Rovers???

Post #174188 5th Mar 2013 12:24 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1