Home > General > Bluefin Or Not ??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
JustChillin

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Zermatt Silver
Bluefin Or Not ??

Hi all,

I know this subject has been discussed many times on the forum, but "Father Christmas" has just recently delivered me a FL2 07 HSE (What a very nice man he is) Anyway i am looking to get it remapped to potentially improve the vehicle even more.

At the moment i am gearing towards the "Bluefin Superchips" device as seems like quite a good idea, how many of you have used the "Bluefin" and is it a generic map they use or when you email them your original map do they then tweak it and refine it so that the new improved map is specific to your Fl2?? Or if those of you who have had your FL2 remapped would like to share your thoughts on your experience i would be most greatful for your opinions.

Cheers JustChillin..........

Post #166384 7th Jan 2013 3:35 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic9000.html?highlight=blufin Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #166386 7th Jan 2013 4:00 pm
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Same model and year as mine,honestly the last thing i would do is mess around with the brain of it sometimes if it aint broke dont fix it is best.

Post #166388 7th Jan 2013 4:07 pm
Bottom

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

Well just for balance, it's the same model and year as mine, I did mine about 8 months and 12k miles ago, it gave me around 6 more mpg and a whole lot better performance. My car has been fine since then, apart from the alternator dying, but I can't see how the Bluefin did that Very Happy

Post #166411 7th Jan 2013 8:50 pm
Kal-El

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey

Trade in for an SD4 Mr. Green

Actually, on a serious note, I have heard on here that the clutch on the manual is at the limits of the torque it can handle as standard. Bluefin mods might take it beyond what it can cope with and cause problems for the already iffy clutch and DMF.

For cars under warranty, it might affect that too. More technically minded folk would be able to comment on the torque aspect. 60 plate SD4 XS, Stornoway Grey, Arm rest pack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly--gT1RJdk

Post #166413 7th Jan 2013 9:05 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Ive had several vehicles remapped in the past (inc a bluefin on a Octavia VRS). Only ever had gains no downs; smoother power delivery, better MPG when driving gently , faster acceleration when wanting it. The Bluefin is a generic map IIRC which is easily removed.
Just had my Beemer mapped to 300BHP and 620Nm.
IMO if you use a well tried and tested map which doesnt go mad (eg has torque limits at low rpm to protect the drive line) then you will be OK , warranty issues aside. However if you thrash a vehicle with your driving style then it wont last very long whether its mapped or not.

Post #166427 7th Jan 2013 9:40 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey
Re: Bluefin Or Not ??

JustChillin wrote:
Hi all,

I know this subject has been discussed many times on the forum, but "Father Christmas" has just recently delivered me a FL2 07 HSE (What a very nice man he is) Anyway i am looking to get it remapped to potentially improve the vehicle even more.

At the moment i am gearing towards the "Bluefin Superchips" device as seems like quite a good idea, how many of you have used the "Bluefin" and is it a generic map they use or when you email them your original map do they then tweak it and refine it so that the new improved map is specific to your Fl2?? Or if those of you who have had your FL2 remapped would like to share your thoughts on your experience i would be most greatful for your opinions.

Cheers JustChillin..........

Mine has been re-mapped with Bluefin since February 2008! I had a clutch change early on due to mine being an early car with the faulty clutch. But never had an issue since, and I tow with it as well.

As long as you treat the car with respect, you will not see any down sides. On my original clutch, it used to slip between 1800rpm and 2100rpm, then recover and was perfect after 2100rpm. But it did this on it's original map and without towing.

With the new clutch which has been in for several years now, there is not one slip when towing or not when running the Bluefin.

I am now on 56000 miles and the DMF is perfect.

So I would say go for it.

Kal-El wrote:
Trade in for an SD4 Mr. Green

Actually, on a serious note, I have heard on here that the clutch on the manual is at the limits of the torque it can handle as standard. Bluefin mods might take it beyond what it can cope with and cause problems for the already iffy clutch and DMF.

For cars under warranty, it might affect that too. More technically minded folk would be able to comment on the torque aspect.

Not totally true. Early Freelander 2 had clutch issues and mine was one of them. But the revised clutch is perfectly OK. The Evoque SD4 manual runs the same clutch as the 160bhp FL2 TD4. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #166701 9th Jan 2013 10:51 pm
JustChillin

Thanks Mav,

I thought you would reply to this thread as i know through previous remap threads you are very much in favour of the "Bluefin".

So what your saying is the 160bhp version of MY07 HSE would be ok for a bit of tweaking, don`t get me wrong it pulls very well at the moment in 2nd 3rd & 4th but sometimes you wish it would have a similar pick-up in 5th & 6th. Also Mav is the gearbox up to the increase in power & torque as the claims from the "Bluefin" are quite an increase.

Also do they tweak your original map that you send to them or would it just be a standad upgrade map for the FL2??
Was only wondering this as surely every different FL2 would have some subtle running differences so a specific map to mine would be nice??

Cheers JustChillin........

Post #166869 11th Jan 2013 12:17 am
Hunter1

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Yes go for it.

Basically the same as Mav, mine is the same an early model, had a new clutch early on due to slipping 'faulty clutch', now on 60k and tow, have to say the bluefin makes such a difference, we have had it both on and off so to speak.

You download your original map and send it to superchips who send you a new map back. We did take it off for some time as I thought it hadn't made much difference, when we tried to put it back on it wouldn't work, call to superchips downloaded our map and they sent a new one, for some reason this last one makes such a difference, the smile of my face was ear to ear.

Very Happy Current 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Black 2016 Onwards
Previous 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Sumatra black 2007 - 2016 Gone but never forgotten!

Post #166870 11th Jan 2013 12:47 am
JustChillin

Thanks Hunter,

Another one in favour of, this is looking quite promising.

But did they supply you with an extra long new toothbrush to cope with that massive new smile you developed Rolling with laughter

Post #166872 11th Jan 2013 1:03 am
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

JustChillin wrote:
Thanks Mav,

I thought you would reply to this thread as i know through previous remap threads you are very much in favour of the "Bluefin".

So what your saying is the 160bhp version of MY07 HSE would be ok for a bit of tweaking, don`t get me wrong it pulls very well at the moment in 2nd 3rd & 4th but sometimes you wish it would have a similar pick-up in 5th & 6th. Also Mav is the gearbox up to the increase in power & torque as the claims from the "Bluefin" are quite an increase.

Also do they tweak your original map that you send to them or would it just be a standad upgrade map for the FL2??
Was only wondering this as surely every different FL2 would have some subtle running differences so a specific map to mine would be nice??

Cheers JustChillin........

Have no fears. All I can state is my own experience, it has been on for 5 years now, I tow and have done over 40,000 miles with it.

The gearbox is perfect, the dual mass flywheel is perfect and the clutch is perfect. Or think of it another way, the manual Evoque 190bhp SD4 has the same clutch and gearbox. Wink

The only thing I would say, is avoid supermarket fuels. I have only ever run on Shell V Power in the 5 1/2 years of ownership and never had an issue. Only one exception was a management light after some French crap, but it's gone out now and never been back on. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #166884 11th Jan 2013 9:35 am
bell-auto-services

United Kingdom 

Dont forget about the BAS remap interface Thumbs Up That said it is a little more expencive than the bluefin.

Pete

Post #167388 14th Jan 2013 11:01 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1