« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Freelander2 2008 Fluid leak oil/coolant Bottom of radiator
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
casper

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black
Freelander2 2008 Fluid leak oil/coolant Bottom of radiator

60k on the clock with not a single problem but just notice a leak bottom at the bottom of the radiator on nearside sludgy black stuff Crying or Very sad

Any ideas on cause, intercooler, turbo seals or hose seals, whatever it looks expensive Big Cry

Post #126006 3rd Jan 2012 9:54 pm
alex_pescaru

Hose seals. Replace the seals or tighten them up and you'll be fine.
That section of the intake is always with a positive, higher than atmosferic, pressure.
And you'll always have some oil in the intercooler because of the crankcase ventilation system.

Post #126007 3rd Jan 2012 9:57 pm
casper

Alex,

thanks and should I tighten up first see if it still leaks & then replace seals.

Is it difficult to do replace the seals, looks like underneath the car is the only access.

Post #126014 3rd Jan 2012 11:18 pm
alex_pescaru

Clean the area after tighthening up in order to see more efficiently if leaks again...
For ease, use a brake cleaner.

Post #126023 4th Jan 2012 12:41 am
bigalf1961

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey

is it possable that the intercooler wants removing and flushig out to clean it i remember that on my old disco this was recmended at approx 60.000 miles Question rainy-city
xs

Post #126034 4th Jan 2012 9:09 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
casper

Is that recommended on Freel2 at 60k?

Post #126329 5th Jan 2012 11:53 pm
bigalf1961

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey

hi dont know but i do know,i am sure somebody on here will know if you ask Question you always get a certain amount of oil resadue in any intercooler on a diesel (this does not mean that the turbo seals are on the way out ) its normal as long that its not excessive amount if you do decide to clean it remove the intercooler a little petrol wash it out but let the petrol vapours evaporate b4 you re fit and start the engine hope this helps you Thumbs Up rainy-city
xs

Post #126339 6th Jan 2012 8:37 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
casper

Well just had my steering rack, pump etc replaced and ask the dealer to take a look at this leak while they had the undertray off.
Anothe problem Big Cry they reckon the intercooler welds are cracked and leaking oil? sounds dodgy to me I know that there is a lot of pressure going through that system but on a 5 year old car?

Post #163674 7th Dec 2012 10:36 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Cracked intercooler - you have been trying hard, or has the car had a front end impact?

Hot compressed air with a tiny amount of oil vapour (from turbo), enters a chiller - the intercooler. It is natural the the vapours should condense out, so the intercooler will get contaminated with oil. The intercooler is under pressure from the turbo, so when oil accumulates, if there is a means of escape it will find it.

The good news is if the air flow is blocked, the intercooler doesn't work and you have no oil residue - I speak from bitter experience, so yours is working.
Our old Skoda and the sons Audi both benefitted from cleaning with a strong solvent at around 70K.
No one is going to give a definate answer as to when it should be done as, it does depend on several factors, such as:
Turbo condition, Oil type, operating temperature, driving style, long/short journeys.

The good news is, it's a good sized intercooler, so a small amount of oil (which can produce a large stain!), isn't going to drastically effect it's operation. But it would be wise if you do take it off, to spend an hour with some "solvent" cleaning it.

I'm sure I wouldn't reccomend petrol as the solvent due to it's flamability, but .... Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #163933 10th Dec 2012 6:08 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1